Horses anyone????

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

That's it.....faith's mom.....your in MN, I'm coming to visit you!

Love horses, but if I want one, I have to find a neighbor that owns one & hope they'll take me in.
you anyone might take in ... I think it might be the added wealth you bring

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Olivia's mom

Toby is my soon to be 7 Gypsy Cob gelding. He is quite a charmer and very much an in your pocket kinda guy.
Beautiful big guy! I remember when I was a kid in FL, my dad and I would go to the old downtown Cocoa beach area on Friday nights for their weekly outdoor festivals they used to have. Well, there was a carriage there every night with a HUGE deep brown beauty with white hair around its feet named Cocoa. I always brought carrots for her! Half a year later after I met her, a drunk driver hit the carriage and her during a ride for a newly wedded couple, breaking one of her legs. They had to put her down.

I really hope someday that we'll find a way to heal injured horses like Cocoa so no one would have to put a horse down, especially when it wasn't their fault.

onyxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You all have such beautiful horses

Unfortunately I haven't got the time/space/money for my own but luckily there are some wonderful trekking centres in South Wales so I can go for a days hack up the mountains whenever I want

Onyx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jenny, you could always teach those ponies to drive...it's not as fun as riding, but it would be something 'constructive' to do with them...Lol!!! They are cuties...especially that little guy...how old is he now???

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jenny, you could always teach those ponies to drive...it's not as fun as riding, but it would be something 'constructive' to do with them...Lol!!! They are cuties...especially that little guy...how old is he now???

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by celestialrags

I think she is so pretty, look at that tail!
Well...since we are comparing tails...(not that any compare to our resident Gypsy horse...but!!!) Check out my boy's tail...

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

That's it.....faith's mom.....your in MN, I'm coming to visit you!

Love horses, but if I want one, I have to find a neighbor that owns one & hope they'll take me in.
Well...unfortunately my horse is currently 4 hours north of me...so you would be stuck with a goofy Border Collie, a neurotic Corgi mix, and three adorable kitties...but no horse...

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

Well...since we are comparing tails...(not that any compare to our resident Gypsy horse...but!!!) Check out my boy's tail...
Obviously there is no comparing her to a gypsy, LOL That is like comparing glass to a diamond

Old Niketa is nothing special, just a back yard horse, nothing special. I do know she is QH but don't know if she is registered or a mix of some thing else (I don't think so though)
I just love long mane and tails, hers drags on the ground.
You win though
Your boys tail is much nicer, so long and thick! He is so gorgeous, I love him!
His tail kind of reminds me of the morgans at the horse barn I worked at for a while, they all had beautiful thick wavey tails!

Every one elses horses are beautiful too, never seen one that wasn't!
Olivia's mom, yours are beautiful too, I am in love with your soon to be horse! I love gypsy's but could never afford one
I will just have to be happy with the ones I get to care for and ride. Jezebel is my love, I pretty much saved her, I had to fight with a few people to give her time and not put her down, almost two years ago, when my BIL's dog chased her and she went down and hit her head, we think she had a stroke and I had to help her eat and every thing. Every one think she is useless (because she is a cribber) and said she wasn't worth the vet bills and time.
Any way she finally got better but still we don't think she is quite the same and hasn't really been riden, but, she will be mine if my MIL ever becomes unable to care for them (or dies) And no matter how "useless" she is, she will always have a home with me.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally love horses, but can't own one until we win the lottery, LOL!

I especially want a Mustang!!!!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Well, I am certainly NOT a lottery winner, and never have been, but I have always been able to support my horsey hobby...there is always a way, if you have the will and the love for it.
You'll have your horse some day...

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, I am certainly NOT a lottery winner, and never have been, but I have always been able to support my horsey hobby...there is always a way, if you have the will and the love for it.
You'll have your horse some day...
Well, that's a hubby decision. But he promises me 7 horses if we win. (I told him one would do.)
It's really that he wants to have a place where we can keep them, so he wants to do the whole house thing.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Well, that's a hubby decision. But he promises me 7 horses if we win. (I told him one would do.)
It's really that he wants to have a place where we can keep them, so he wants to do the whole house thing.
Well, just don't let him 'make you wait' forever for it though; sometimes a person will use a certain excuse just because they don't want something, period. If you get a home, with land enough for a horse, remind him that you now have land and start saving money on your own for fencing, and eventually a horse, because he promised. If it doesn't look like you'll ever move, then start looking for a reputable place to board a horse, and then start saving some money to be able to leash a horse till you can move and eventually buy one...there are always ways to be involved in the horse world when you can't own! Hang out with horsey friends, shows, horse events, and just get plugged in so that when you are able to buy a horse, or lease one, you are all set to go...
Please, please, please, don't let your husband stop you for the rest of your life...My husband was not going to let me get Pride either, when we first met, but I told him there were horses before him, there will be horses with him too...whether he liked it or not! You love horses, your husband may not, but he needs to get used to that fact that you love them and would like to become active in that 'world', and eventually own one, sooner than later.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, just don't let him 'make you wait' forever for it though; sometimes a person will use a certain excuse just because they don't want something, period. If you get a home, with land enough for a horse, remind him that you now have land and start saving money on your own for fencing, and eventually a horse, because he promised. If it doesn't look like you'll ever move, then start looking for a reputable place to board a horse, and then start saving some money to be able to leash a horse till you can move and eventually buy one...there are always ways to be involved in the horse world when you can't own! Hang out with horsey friends, shows, horse events, and just get plugged in so that when you are able to buy a horse, or lease one, you are all set to go...
Please, please, please, don't let your husband stop you for the rest of your life...My husband was not going to let me get Pride either, when we first met, but I told him there were horses before him, there will be horses with him too...whether he liked it or not! You love horses, your husband may not, but he needs to get used to that fact that you love them and would like to become active in that 'world', and eventually own one, sooner than later.
Awesome advice! Right now I need to lose about 60 pounds, and the thing I envision when I'm at my goal is being able to mount a horse with no trouble. When that happens, I am going to do some riding with the youth group my kids are in, and then get in good enough shape to go on a horseback "vacation".

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a great place to start! Good luck!!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You know....horses aren't as expensive as people make them out to be. I found that out when I was young (I have to pay for Bonnet and all expenses myself). Sure they can be expensive to buy, but food isn't bad and care isn't terrible either (considering they don't get hurt). If you live somewhere with a lot of grass for majority of the year that's what their main diet consists of and it's free! They don't need suppliment unless they have health needs or they are a show horse. I buy a 50lb bag ($7) of oat/molassas/whatever pellets and that lasts me all summer. Bonnet gets that as a treat. One horse for the winter costs about $300 to feed, again that's not bad. And trimming their hooves is $20 when they need it. Usually 3-4 times a year depending on your horses hooves.

So...

$14 sweet feed
$100 trimming cost
$300 hay for winter
$60-100 for yearly vet checkup

Roughly $500-600 a year, not as bad as you thought was it?

It's when you have more than one horse that it gets to be quite expensive.....

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

You know....horses aren't as expensive as people make them out to be. I found that out when I was young (I have to pay for Bonnet and all expenses myself). Sure they can be expensive to buy, but food isn't bad and care isn't terrible either (considering they don't get hurt). If you live somewhere with a lot of grass for majority of the year that's what their main diet consists of and it's free! They don't need suppliment unless they have health needs or they are a show horse. I buy a 50lb bag ($7) of oat/molassas/whatever pellets and that lasts me all summer. Bonnet gets that as a treat. One horse for the winter costs about $300 to feed, again that's not bad. And trimming their hooves is $20 when they need it. Usually 3-4 times a year depending on your horses hooves.

So...

$14 sweet feed
$100 trimming cost
$300 hay for winter

Hmmm...I think it's 200-300 a month here for boarding...

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

So...

$14 sweet feed
$100 trimming cost
$300 hay for winter

Keep in mind, it's different in different parts of the country, even different fields have different grasses which may or may not be enough for your horse. It costs more like $500/winter for hay around here and that's not always the best. I used to pay about $8/bag of grain-- nothing fancy either. The grain was made at a local place too. Vet care is the same as your cat's vet care-- horses should have yearly checkups. That costs- a lot. For the vet to drive to the place I was keeping my horse, it cost me an $80 trip fee on top of whatever I needed him to do for my horse. Yes, some of these things sound like a $1 or 2 difference but it adds up.

petstorejunkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My horse costs roughly $6k a year, but it's so worth it!
i board so i pay $375 mo (which is almost 1/2 as much as the neightboring barns, yet i have a beautiful fascility and wonderful Barn Manager)
then i usually buy extra hay for him to munch vefore and after rides so that's another $25 mo.
supps are about $30 mo depending on what i am doing
i do his hooves *that saves about $120 every 6 weeks and he mpoves better
Vet cost about $140 a year
and of course cookies, carrots, tack and other fun stuff

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great pictures.

... have always loved horses.