Horrific Response From SPCA Monterey County, California

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need to let everyone know what happened to me recently with a call for help from the SPCA.

For 18 years I have managed a colony of 50 feral cats all by myself. The colony is all neutered/spayed and vaccinated. You who care for colonies know the amount of time that goes into caring for a colony, not to mention the huge expense of medical and feeding bills.

My income has dropped significantly and while in the process of getting a room ready to rent in my house and find a job (at 73 years of age finding work is not too easy) and manage the colony with two feedings a day, and selling on eBay to make money to pay for the cat food I have been really stressed. The neighbors have been great and giving as much as they can, but this is not a wealthy community.

The local SPCA has a donated food program where we can go to get free food if we need it. I have never needed it before because, until now, I always had enough to care for the colony by myself. But, things were getting tight, so I drove to the SPCA to see if I could get some free food. The SPCA is quite a distance from where I live. The day I went there I had just enough gas to get there and back. Well, you guessed it...the day I went there was no food and the gal minding the free food said there hadn't been any for over two weeks. So, cross that resource off my list!

I decided to try writing and calling the SPCA to see if I could get any help. I sent a letter explaining my situation (I have had a really good relationship with the SPCA since I have spent so much time in their clinic getting animals neutered). The letter went to the Director of the SPCA. After hearing no reply after 10 days, I called. And called. And called again. Finally, a gal left a message for me saying they would bring me some food the next day.

I waited with great excitement figuring they would bring me a decent supply of food. NOT!

The next day the SPCA gal arrived with a hostile, demeaning, shaming attitude. She told me the SPCA does not believe in colonies and does not support them. She went on to say the only way the SPCA would be willing to help me would be for me to stop feeding altogether so they could come and trap the cats and euthanize them! When I tried to talk to her about vacuum effect, etc. she told me she was not here to argue with me.

With that, she walked to her car, and as she did a cat crossed her path. The disgusted look on her face was a shock and the thought crossed my mind that she would have probably kicked the cat if I had not been there. She then handed me one case of 24 cans of food.

I started to cry because the whole thing was so shocking, so utterly uncalled for. I just couldn't believe what happened. She drove off, leaving me crying in my driveway.

I know that there are really good SPCA facilities across the United States, but this one is not one of those. I am posting this because I think anyone who is in, or near, the SPCA where I live, needs to know what happened. I did write the local newspaper to tell them what happened, but, as all of you know a TNR colony problem is not a high priority for news.

We have other agencies in the area who are no kill non-profits. I have talked to all of them to let them know what happened. All of those agencies were so helpful, a couple left some dry food for me (even including our local animal control agency!!).

I heard from most I talked to that what happened to me was not that surprising. Most commented that this SPCA is very much into euthanasia which is one of the reasons alternate no-kill shelters are opening all the time here.

So, please spread the word if you know anyone in this area (Monterey County, Californa).

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I need to let everyone know what happened to me recently with a call for help from the SPCA.

For 18 years I have managed a colony of 50 feral cats all by myself. The colony is all neutered/spayed and vaccinated. You who care for colonies know the amount of time that goes into caring for a colony, not to mention the huge expense of medical and feeding bills.

My income has dropped significantly and while in the process of getting a room ready to rent in my house and find a job (at 73 years of age finding work is not too easy) and manage the colony with two feedings a day, and selling on eBay to make money to pay for the cat food I have been really stressed. The neighbors have been great and giving as much as they can, but this is not a wealthy community.

The local SPCA has a donated food program where we can go to get free food if we need it. I have never needed it before because, until now, I always had enough to care for the colony by myself. But, things were getting tight, so I drove to the SPCA to see if I could get some free food. The SPCA is quite a distance from where I live. The day I went there I had just enough gas to get there and back. Well, you guessed it...the day I went there was no food and the gal minding the free food said there hadn't been any for over two weeks. So, cross that resource off my list!

I decided to try writing and calling the SPCA to see if I could get any help. I sent a letter explaining my situation (I have had a really good relationship with the SPCA since I have spent so much time in their clinic getting animals neutered). The letter went to the Director of the SPCA. After hearing no reply after 10 days, I called. And called. And called again. Finally, a gal left a message for me saying they would bring me some food the next day.

I waited with great excitement figuring they would bring me a decent supply of food. NOT!

The next day the SPCA gal arrived with a hostile, demeaning, shaming attitude. She told me the SPCA does not believe in colonies and does not support them. She went on to say the only way the SPCA would be willing to help me would be for me to stop feeding altogether so they could come and trap the cats and euthanize them! When I tried to talk to her about vacuum effect, etc. she told me she was not here to argue with me.

With that, she walked to her car, and as she did a cat crossed her path. The disgusted look on her face was a shock and the thought crossed my mind that she would have probably kicked the cat if I had not been there. She then handed me one case of 24 cans of food.

I started to cry because the whole thing was so shocking, so utterly uncalled for. I just couldn't believe what happened. She drove off, leaving me crying in my driveway.

I know that there are really good SPCA facilities across the United States, but this one is not one of those. I am posting this because I think anyone who is in, or near, the SPCA where I live, needs to know what happened. I did write the local newspaper to tell them what happened, but, as all of you know a TNR colony problem is not a high priority for news.

We have other agencies in the area who are no kill non-profits. I have talked to all of them to let them know what happened. All of those agencies were so helpful, a couple left some dry food for me (even including our local animal control agency!!).

I heard from most I talked to that what happened to me was not that surprising. Most commented that this SPCA is very much into euthanasia which is one of the reasons alternate no-kill shelters are opening all the time here.

So, please spread the word if you know anyone in this area (Monterey County, Californa).
This is absolutely horrible and that woman has no business working with animals or with people. I'm so sorry that you were put through that. you are an angel to those cats. 

If you have an Amazon account, can you create a wish list and post a link to it here?? I will send you some food for the colony. 

I think we all need to send a nasty gram to those people letting them know how we feel about the way they treat ferals and their caregivers. 

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there an actual SPCA association you can report this person to. I don't think it matters if they support feral colonies or not. That isn't the way to do business.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about calling the local newspaper and reporting it to them?  Your area needs to know just how inhumane this ***** from the Humane Society is.  I sure hope she's just one rotten apple, and that the whole organization is not that way!!  I'm so sorry this happened to you.  You deserve so much better.  

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

How about calling the local newspaper and reporting it to them?  Your area needs to know just how inhumane this ***** from the Humane Society is.  I sure hope she's just one rotten apple, and that the whole organization is not that way!!  I'm so sorry this happened to you.  You deserve so much better.  
I'd report them to PETA also. Their name stands for American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. I don't see anything in that that says "unless it's a feral cat". 

The ASPCA's position on feral cat management.  http://www.aspca.org/about-us/aspca...ments/position-statement-feral-cat-management

Here's some highlights:

Feeding bans are difficult to enforce and are ineffective because cats are generally adept at finding alternate food sources. However, for those cats who have become dependent on food provided by a caregiver, a feeding ban is inhumane, usually forcing cats to subsist on insufficient resources.

At this time the most humane, effective and financially sustainable strategy for controlling free-roaming cat populations is trap-neuter-return (TNR), whereby free-roaming cats are trapped, sterilized, vaccinated, and returned to their colony of origin. A related approach are “Feral Freedom” initiatives,  or neuter-return programs in which free-roaming cats taken in by animal welfare agencies are transported directly to be sterilized, vaccinated, and then returned to their original location. Trap-neuter-return programs have the ability to stabilize the population of a free-roaming cat colony and, over time, reduce it (Levy and Crawford, 2004; Robertson, 2008). At the same time, the objectionable spraying, vocalizing and fighting behaviors of cats in the colony are largely eliminated.

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a link to their website and there's a list of names of the people who work there too.  

http://www.spcamc.org/about/your-spca-team/

I couldn't help but notice that the home page has 6 separate pages and only 1 of those pages shows a kitten, the rest are dogs.  Could this be part of the problem?  They sure don't value cats very highly from the looks of their homepage.  Just a thought.  I've noticed that the ASPCA commercials have mostly dogs too.  What the heck?  We live in a dog-only loving country.  

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope this isn't the one who came to visit you.
  • Stacie McGrady, Humane Investigations Supervisor, 831-373-2631
If not, then maybe you can report what happened to her.  Or, heck, go to the board of directors too.

Last edited by a moderator:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would contact Alley Cat Allies and see if they will intervene.  This is outrageous.  I am so sorry this happened to you.

Please do set up an Amazon wish list with some food choices.  I am sure there are many here who might want to help you out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much everyone for your support.

I was so hurt by what happened..and so fearful for my colony I really couldn't talk about it till now.

I didn't even try to call management at Monterey local SPCA because I figured I would get more of the same!

This local SPCA is not part of the ASPCA. I am not sure how they fit together, but it might be worth it to talk to them.

Honestly, I was so traumatized by what happened, I just didn't want to even try to do anything about it.

I am glad I talked to other local no-kill shelters who could verify that what happened was real and have understanding for how awful they were and to tell me they have heard similar things about them.

I want to prevent that from happening to anyone else, but I am so burned out right now I don't have the energy. Does that make sense to you all?

I have always been the one to voice my opinion, even when it isn't wanted (having been a land-use-activist for 20 years). But this really put me

in my corner.

Maybe it is because I feel so protective of these innocent little guys. I didn't want to push back for fear the SPCA might retaliate and start trapping out here to get rid of the colony.

The gal who came was so anti-cat it was scary.

And yes, this particular SPCA is all dog and their wild animal rescue. Cats are not their thing although they have a wonderful clinic offering super prices on neuter/spay of feral cats.

I am guessing the neuter program has been funded by a generous donor, though.

I did call the only paper that still does investigative reporting and is independent enough to possibly take up the question. That was about all I had in me to do. I have not heard anything back from them.

It really helps to have you all give feedback on what happened. Thanks so much for your support. By the way, the SPCA is funded by big money here in Monterey County where there is some big money to find...think Clint Eastwood, etc.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your support and personal messages and ideas.

I think I will dig deep and find some energy to do some fighting back on this.

But I agree with what most  of you have said in messages that maybe it is best to attack on the outskirts with organizations other than the local SPCA.

It  seem as if I might be putting my fur ball kids in jeopardy by going directly after them.

They have shown nothing but disdain for the cats and I think retaliation by them might be possible.

But I believe I will feel better by contacting SPCA National or ASPCA, PETA, and Alley Cats. 

All of them should know what is going on out here.

As always, thanks so much for all of your support, advice, and caring.

I wish I had come sooner to talk to you all about this but I have been trying to keep my head above water.

I will do as some of you suggested and post an Amazon wish list here in the next couple of days.

Thanks for everything. You are all angels.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest if possible you take pictures of where the cats are living. And the individual cats. Any records you have of them being properly cared for via vet as in shots and S/N

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Kittens Mom..good suggestion and one I have always kept up to date.

A dear friend who is a photographer spent a day taking fantastic pictures of them all a few years ago. And I have always kept receipts for any vet bills. (Just in case we could someday get tax right-off help for the care of the animals!) 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here's a link to their website and there's a list of names of the people who work there too.  

http://www.spcamc.org/about/your-spca-team/

I couldn't help but notice that the home page has 6 separate pages and only 1 of those pages shows a kitten, the rest are dogs.  Could this be part of the problem?  They sure don't value cats very highly from the looks of their homepage.  Just a thought.  I've noticed that the ASPCA commercials have mostly dogs too.  What the heck?  We live in a dog-only loving country.  
Actually, more people have cats than dogs.  It's not that the country only loves dogs, I think it's that dogs have a reputation for being "man's best friend," whereas cats are seen as independent and impudent.  Some people are offended by any species that doesn't automatically recognize humans as the best species on the planet.

That said, this is truly unforgivable.  They knew you were doing this, because you'd been taking the feral cats in for spaying and neutering.  They were fine with doing that for you (I'm sure you had to pay for it), but when you need some help they tell you that they can't support TNR programs?  And they send someone to deliver food who is actively hostile to cats?  At the very least it's poor management, and it sounds like this is way beyond that.

Beyond saying all that, I have no better answers than what other people here have said.

As far as I can tell, most people either love cats or hate them.  (The only middle ground is people who are allergic to them.)  But I would think that hating cats should be a total disqualification for working at the ASPCA.

Margret

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks, Kittens Mom..good suggestion and one I have always kept up to date.

A dear friend who is a photographer spent a day taking fantastic pictures of them all a few years ago. And I have always kept receipts for any vet bills. (Just in case we could someday get tax right-off help for the care of the animals!) 
Proving that the cats are well cared for and not a public menace is always good. Good luck on the tax write off.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Margret,

I am so glad I finally came here to post because each of you has said something that has helped to heal the wound she inflicted.

I didn't mention that when I first sent a letter to the Community asking for help someone (one of the cat haters...we have about 3 in the Community) called the SPCA to report something..I never asked why the Investigator showed up at my door one day. I just assumed it was something having to do with the letter and asking the Community for help.

After a tour of my home (including opening closet doors, etc.) we laughed because there were no cats to be seen, except one who showed up in the driveway and scampered away a soon as she saw the strange man on the property). He also toured the various feeding stations.

He had a few comments when he was here. One was "what a wonderful location for a feral colony" and another "I really recommend you find a way to take a few days off since this is a huge job for just one person" and lastly "you won't hear from us again, the case is closed". He followed up with a humorous email  picture joke about "box (or drop) traps which are what I use mostly since this colony leaves for a few days when I even bring a regular trap out of the garage!

That event happened I would say about a month before the gal from hell came. There are only two investigators, I think, at the SPCA, so you would think she would have come out here with a happy 'glad we can help' attitude. I will keep trying to quietly and anonymously find out about this woman who, from what I could tell, has been around the organization for awhile, and if she may even be the head of the investigation unit!

Again, thanks for your support.

Sally

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread makes me so sad and yet so hopeful all at once. That SPCA sounds insular and my guess is their policies change with whoever is in charge. Not all animal lovers are cat lovers, and it's funny they think it's ok to think that way.

I love the idea of sharing your Amazon wish list because I personally would also like to help!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I dislike dogs intensely. I don't beat around the bush over it. That doesn't mean I condone their mistreatment or neglect. That fact that a professional who is supposed to be objective can behave that way and retain a job is horrifying.

Cat hate seems to be completely acceptable. Tell someone you don't like their dog and to please keep it away from you gets you dirty looks to say the least.

BTW there is a thing called elder abuse. A call to the mayor or city council might be in order.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the link for Amazon doesn't seem to be working.  And we need a ship to address for the others I think - I only checked on the first Chewy link.