Horrible Vet Visit, Or Is It Me?

jazzcatsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just came back from taking my one year old cat to the vet for his yearly check-up/shots. He was in my lap when the Vet and vet tech came in the exam room. Without talking to him for a minute or giving him a chance to sniff her hands the vet tech grabbed him by the scruff and pulled him out of my lap. He swiped at her and she got a small scratch, barely visible, on her nose. The Vet made a big fuss about looking to see if she was really scratched until she finally saw it. The Vet then stated that since Jazz is not being cooperative she will give him his shots and listen to his heart. She asked me if he was indoors, if he had any symptoms, gave the shots, listened to his heart for a second and said OK, anything else? I said, you aren't going to really examine him and she said, no, we already have a bleeder. As they left the room she told the tech lets go clean up that scratch.
When I checked out, I asked to speak to the head Vet, who I usually see, she will be away until next week. I said I had no problem paying for the shots and fecal test but that I didn't feel I should pay for the exam he didn't get. The girl went to speak to the Vet who said I agreed to pay for an exam and she listened to his heart and I have to pay for it. I saw no point in arguing with the receptionist and left a message for the head Vet to call me next week.
So, is it me??? Shouldn't a Vet's office know how to handle animals and be able to deal with a cat scratch and still give an exam? The Vet I used previously in another state for a different cat always had me put her on the table and hold her. I would have done that this time, but the tech just swooped him up. Who does that to a strange cat unless they know how to "scruff" a cat properly?
Anyway, it's not about the $, I wanted my boy to get a real exam, I want to keep him healthy! Even the heart check she did was 2 seconds, he is a Ragdoll and they are prone to heart problems, I doubt she could have heard anything that quickly.
So, please tell me, is it normal for a Vet to do this? And also, don't alot of cats do this type of thing at the Vets office and shouldn't they know how to examine them anyway? What if he was sick?
I would love advice before I speak to the head doctor. Thank you

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Standard exam should cover ears, eyes, mouth, coat, heart, abdomen, & temperature... at the very least.

Sounds like the vet you saw was either in a rush, or not really a cat person & didn't really want to deal with a cat (believe it or not, I've seen that attitude). 

The tech should definitely have known better than to scruff the animal right off the bat without any kind of introduction.  The techs in my vets office would never do that, they always move slowly and gently to pick up the cats or to leash the dog.  When picking up the cats, they scoop them from the chest/belly and quickly gather their paws into a secure position.  They hold the cat close to the body in the crook of their arms, thereby restricting movement. Scruffing should be an absolute last resort, as it tends to generate more hostility in the animal.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that it was a horrible vet visit. Both the vet and vet tech should have known better. I had a vet once call my Aria fractious because she resisted the vet when she tried to look at the base of her tongue to see if anything was wrapped around it. Aria submitted to the rest of the exam with hardly a meow but she did not like that, and who can blame her?

I do think that many vets don't understand cats. I'm still searching for a vet that we both like and is competent.

In your case I would agree that the vet did not perform an exam and you should get a real one free of charge next time.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Standard exam should cover ears, eyes, mouth, coat, heart, abdomen, & temperature... at the very least.

Sounds like the vet you saw was either in a rush, or not really a cat person & didn't really want to deal with a cat (believe it or not, I've seen that attitude). 

The tech should definitely have known better than to scruff the animal right off the bat without any kind of introduction.  The techs in my vets office would never do that, they always move slowly and gently to pick up the cats or to leash the dog.  When picking up the cats, they scoop them from the chest/belly and quickly gather their paws into a secure position.  They hold the cat close to the body in the crook of their arms, thereby restricting movement. Scruffing should be an absolute last resort, as it tends to generate more hostility in the animal.

If it were me I would definitely talk to the head vet and if she didn't offer an apology and the exam you didn't get I'd be shopping for a different vet.

Scruffing is a last resort with my vet also. Their whole treatment of your cat is inexcusable. 

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, please tell me, is it normal for a Vet to do this?
Then, I'd be off to a competent feline-only Veterinarian. (PLEASE don't tell me this is a cat-only clinic!)

Cat-only clinics would be a good starting point in a search. If you can't find one, this site should help (don't check the red "cat-friendly practice" bar) Find a Feline Veterinarian

I noticed that you used the term "yearly shots". Vaccinations, including re-vaccinations/"boosters" are a subject of much discussion - and, note that I said "discussion", not debate (there is also debate, much of which is "pushback" from Vets who fear losing "business").

Current research science has shown that
  • the "yearly shots" routine is outdated because it is not science-based, and it is therefore bad medicine
  • this "yearly shots" routine has been shown to be unnecessary and dangerous: unnecessary, because cats' immune systems have been shown to maintain immunities for at least many years and to not require regular boosting; dangerous because cats are extremely sensitive to injections of any type, and many have developed extremely difficult cancers at those injection sites. More information about that here: Feline Injection Site Sarcoma
  • For a reliable article on vaccination: Vaccines for Cats
  • We need to insist that our Vets use only non-adjuvanted vaccines with our cats - that is explained in that last link - as is the latest thought on 'how often' to vaccinate
Hope some of that helps.

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just want to agree with what everyone else is saying.

The reason I pay extra money to go to a regular vet- rather than the extremely cheap fee for vaccinations and exams at the mobile clinic near us- is because 1) the vets there are more permanent and more likely to be able to monitor my cats' long-term health effectively and 2) because the vet's office is more suited to the emotional needs of cats and because of how well the vet techs and vets themselves treat the cats, making the exams as painless as possible for the cats (emotionally as well as physically). (And this vet practice is not cat only, but includes dogs, small & furries, and the occasional exotic.) I agree that this is not acceptable treatment of your cat and that you should not have to pay for the exam you didn't get.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The exam you describe is worth reporting, I reckon.

This is why I now go to a choice of two vets... one is an holistic vet who treats most animals, but has a lovely attitude, and one which is purely for cats.

Good luck!

natamoni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't believe this happened.. Where are you from? I brought my kitten to the vet in a town near Montreal and they treated my baby like a frigen princess haha

They even put her in a little blanket since I didn't have any with me and the vet was talking to her in a friendly, reassuring voice and telling her (even though she can't understand) everything she was going to do.

My kitten was very sick, but I don't think it influences her to be delicate with her, it's simply how it's supposed to be (for what I think)

And plus, it's not even an all feline clinic! 

You should shop for your vet as you would shop for a home. I was lucky to get a good one on first try, but you really have to keep looking. Chances are, if one of the nurses is bad, others in the same clinic will probably be the same.

Good luck to you and your kitty!

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had a vet last year send my parents cat home a few hours after surgery, they claimed she was fine and ready to be picked up. My sister brought her home reluctantly and noticed they cut off the whiskers on one side of her face and that she was very weak and started vomiting. She called and complained and they said she wasn't allowed home yet and to bring her back! I hated that whole clinic after that.

I found a cat only clinic here and took her there as she wasn't improving. We had to put her down a month later, our new vet tried hard to help but she had late stage cancer that the other vets didn't even see. Dr. Larson hardly knew Casey but she was still so gentle and cried with us.

If you can find a feline only clinic it would be worth looking into as they really love cats and because that's all they deal with they know how to treat them and respect them. Also try finding online reviews, I've noticed that they are usually spot on.

You should look into leaving a review on the bad vet you just saw as well so that others might be warned in the future.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think that if this made you uncomfortable (which it definitely would have made me), I would be looking for a new vet. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not just you that was a really bad vet visit.  They didn't know how to handle a cat and they overreacted to a scratch.  Even with people who know how to handle a cat there will be the scratch or bite here and there.  The cat is stressed by being at the vet's office and a sick animal would be even more stressed.  The occasional scratch or bite is an occupational hazard.  Thats why people who work with animals like in a vet's office, a groomer, or a kennel can't sue for an injury caused by an animal, it comes with the territory.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jazzcatsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate the advice. I am torn on the shot issue. I don't give the Feline Leukemia because he is a Ragdoll and the breeders don't recommend it, but I do give the Rabies and FVRCP(I may not have the letters right, but I am sure you know what I mean).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jazzcatsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And if the head Vet dosen't respond with an apology and offer to do the exam herself I will go to a feline only practice. I am from Savannah, GA. This office has treated Jazz since he was a kitten and always did a great job before. In fact, one time he hissed at the head Vet and she said that's good, he should be frightened, and he should be prepared to defend himself if need be! Of course it is much easier to handle a kitten then a 15 pound adult, but that is no excuse for this other Vet. I will let you guys know what happens. Thank you so much, I feel better and know I am not crazy:)
Here is a picture of my vicious JazzCat

ck2d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's horrible. I wouldn't "scruff" a kitten, let alone a heavy cat like that. That idiot deserved to be mauled.

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a great plan.

And yes, what a terrifying kitty! Couldn't you have just gotten a lion instead? ;)

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Sounds like a great plan.

And yes, what a terrifying kitty! Couldn't you have just gotten a lion instead?
^^^^^^ Funny!  

I'm on my third vet now.  It does seem that many vets are dog people--or at least they're not true cat people!  The first place I took my kitties was like that.  The second vet had a cat-only practice but she was an idiot.  She gave conflicting advice any time I went in there, scoffed at my opinions and constantly tried to sell me products (Rx food, etc.) that she carried.  Finally I have a great vet--he and his wife are both vets, and they're CAT people, yay!  They have four of their own--both of them clearly love and understand cats.  

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
He looks terrifying. I'm amazed the vet and tech' didn't demand you sedated the wild beast before they went near.......  

Actually he looks gorgeous and no way would I tolerate treatment like you experienced. At the very least I would be looking for an apology and head vet examination. If it was my practice I would be worried about staying there as you could never guarantee that the vet you're happy with will be available e.g. if your furbaby is unwell and needs an emergency appointment. Also think about how you would feel if you had to leave him there for tests or treatment.  And we all know how intelligent our little furry friends are and what good memories they have: from my experience with one of my previous cats, this means they can harbour fears from one bad visit and future trips to the vet become deeply traumatic.  

When I selected my current vet I talked to all the cat lovers I knew and then went to talk to the potential vet practice before I took my cat/s there.   I know they care for our local cat rescue including feral cats and  thought this was a good indication that they were a cat friendly practice. At the time I started to go there I had 2 cats, one of which I would describe as 'vet-phobic' as a result of a chronic health condition and I think she had learned to associate the vet with pain: she had to be sedated for every vet visit (and for reference she made a nasty slice on the back of my previous vet's hand even when under sedation and HE APOLOGIZED TO ME and said he 'should have known better'!).  My vet practice  are kind and sensitive to the cat and their human companions alike, and I have never seen them approach a cat in anything other than a softly spoken, slow and caring manner. Indeed they only handle the cat when necessary and allow me to pick up to / from basket, and to hold for tests or examinations where possible to reduce the stress for my cat. I have confidence in how they handle my babies even when I have to leave them there for treatment. Best of all, my boy seems to like them and snuggles up to the vets and nurses after they've finished whatever they need to do.