Horrible odor and sick cat

winwin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last night, Betty woke me and asked "What IS that horrible smell, ?", and I didn't know, so we investigated and found Grey, our 8 yr old Stumpy Manx drooling a long train and his eyes were tearing horribly.

The odor was like nothing I have ever smelled, similar to that of charred leather or burnt bone, and also similar to a preparation in a spray can that is used to keep pets off furniture, but I would rather have the pets on the furniture than have the smell of the stuff.

Grey is an inside cat, and has passage through a cat door to a large, unfinished basement where he likes to prowl and find the odd lizard.

His brother, Boots, a 12 yr old DSH Holstein wasn't bothered, but he isn't as curious as is Grey, either.

The best Betty and I can figure is that a skunk was outside next to the heat pump when it came on, and perhaps scared the skunk and it sprayed the heat pump and Grey happened to be close to the vent or duct in the basement and got a little of the spray that way.

This is really reaching for a reason, I know, but is about the only possibility I know of.

The basement area is secure (I think) I HOPE !) from the outside, so there is little chance that a skunk or weasel could have gotten in there.

The thought of something besides a cat coming through the cat door from the basement is a bit unsettling, to say the least.

I have been told that a skunk smells altogether different up close that it does at a distance.

It has been about 18 hours now since the incident, and Grey seems in normal spirits, and cries to be picked up, something he isn't going to get untill he smells better, and with open windows and doors, the smell is going away in the house.

I tried putting some Old Spice on Grey, but it just makes him smell like road kill with a fresh shave.

Anyone have any ideas ? ?

Leonard.

golden_moon_luv

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well if you think a skunk got him try tomato sauce or paste i think. When my dog came home after getting loose and smelled like skunk with the oder of cow poo( he rolls in it, live near a farming comunity) I used Vinager, which helped alot, he smelled funky but not like a skunk or cow poo and his fur was rough to the touch. You can try those on him or call your vet or a groomer for advice.

Ashley

bigorangemenace

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
unless its a myth it seems the old tomato juice trick works o_O But uh... better not take me on that.. best to wait for the experts rather than some confused person thing giving out random advice

fsuseminole98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Expert advice from someone who's been there and searched the entire Internet for a solution: mix ¼ cup baking soda with a teaspoon or so of shampoo and a quart of hydrogen peroxide. Massage, let sit a minute, rinse thoroughly then repeat. It works. Tomato juice doesn't. Old Spice definitely doesn't.

Poor kitty!

golden_moon_luv

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BigOrangeMenace

unless its a myth it seems the old tomato juice trick works o_O But uh... better not take me on that.. best to wait for the experts rather than some confused person thing giving out random advice
I hope that wasnt meant for me??!!! If it was that is wrong to say.

I know Vinager works for sure. Try bathing a skunked up cow poo smelln pit all day.

Ashley

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

winwin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It has been 30 some-odd hours now, and everything is back to normal.

Grey has cleaned himself back to his usual clean-cat smell, which is no smell at all.

Neither Betty or I are in any hurry to go through something like that again, I can tell you for free ! ! !

A bath for Grey was not considered as he is fully armored and is not bashful about using his weapons.

Thanks for the responses.

I LOVE this site ! ! !

Leonard

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried putting some Old Spice on Grey, but it just makes him smell like road kill with a fresh shave.
Oh, my! that line should've come with a spew alert! Glad everything is back to normal for you!