Hormonal suppressing injections for an adult calt

Youm.28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my cat( adult ) got in heat for the first about a month ago and my vet suggested that he give her a hormonal injection shot.
However, i have noticed a major chance in my cat's behavior ( less active, not interested in playing, calmer,etc.)
Im very worried that the injection might have caused her sickness.
Any help?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hello Youm.28 Youm.28 and welcome to TCS :)

I'm not familiar with the aftermath of hormonal shots, but wonder why the vet did not consider spaying her? It's by far the best way to deal with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Youm.28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He suggested giving her a shot because we are currently in a total lockdown due to covid and it went down to either giving her the shot or leaving her in heat.
Please note that she is eating normally, however this change is behavior is freaking me out and i can't do anything about it.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Of course.. that makes sense.
I'm sorry that I can't be of more help except to say that supressing hormones is pretty well bound to have an effect on her, but the vet would have taken that into consideration. Having seen many cats on heat, I think it is by far the kinder option, and it is temporary. :hugs:

Youm.28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and i hope that too :redheartpump:

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Keep us posted :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmmm months ago I got Jackie vaccinated. We dropped him off in the parking lot and the vet tech took him in. We wore masks, they wore masks and we stayed 10 feet apart when talking to the vet tech real quick. (I wanted to know his weight & copy of his vaccine to renew his license.... which I was able to do via email! 😀) It was probably more traumatic for him without his human mom there but he was fine! They are doing the same thing for surgeries to.

I would call around different vets in your area (or up to a two hour drive if need be) & see if you can’t get her spayed.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Hmmmmmm months ago I got Jackie vaccinated. We dropped him off in the parking lot and the vet tech took him in. We wore masks, they wore masks and we stayed 10 feet apart when talking to the vet tech real quick. (I wanted to know his weight & copy of his vaccine to renew his license.... which I was able to do via email! 😀) It was probably more traumatic for him without his human mom there but he was fine! They are doing the same thing for surgeries to.

I would call around different vets in your area (or up to a two hour drive if need be) & see if you can’t get her spayed.
It really depends where people live danteshuman danteshuman . In some countries, total lockdown means just that. It sounds to me as though the vet was doing the best he could in the circumstances.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True places like Italy were ultra strict ....,.,, & America just screwed it up. But the vet was still taking the cat in to administer the hormone injection, no?

There were a LOT of pandemic kittens & puppies from not being able to fix the mom in time during the worst of the shutdowns last spring/early summer. On the plus side lots of home bound people stepped up to foster kittens/puppies. Which helped the overloaded shelters. I think there will be many more unplanned litters to come.

Until you get her fixed; I strongly suggest 2 doors between kitty & the outside whenever you enter/leave; when your cat is in heat. Just because cats in heat get so crazy and become door darting window escape ninjas.

Youm.28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
True places like Italy were ultra strict ....,.,, & America just screwed it up. But the vet was still taking the cat in to administer the hormone injection, no?

There were a LOT of pandemic kittens & puppies from not being able to fix the mom in time during the worst of the shutdowns last spring/early summer. On the plus side lots of home bound people stepped up to foster kittens/puppies. Which helped the overloaded shelters. I think there will be many more unplanned litters to come.

Until you get her fixed; I strongly suggest 2 doors between kitty & the outside whenever you enter/leave; when your cat is in heat. Just because cats in heat get so crazy and become door darting window escape ninjas.
I took her to the vet the once the government announced we're going to a total lockdown as she got in heat couple of days before. It wasn't possible to schedule any spaying surgeries because we were given a very short notice.

We are not allowed to go outside or commute in any means ( unless to to get admitted to the hospital) for at least 10 more days.

The cat is not in heat anymore due to the shot she received.
What concerns me right now is her behavioral change ( excessive sleeping, refusing to play, super extra calm..)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you know the name of the product the vet gave her Youm.28 Youm.28 ?

I've googled injections for cats in heat and there are a couple of different drugs used. It might help if you look them up and research the possible side effects that way.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.