Hoping to get some help with a survey :)

Leela Fry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get a little help from you - I am looking for some cat owners to help me out with a survey. It's about cat litter boxes and will only take a couple of minutes to complete. If anybody has the time, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cat Litter Box - Market Research

Thank you all in advance! :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I did the survey. It supposes that people only have one litterbox. I have four, for two cats, and a lot of people here will have more than one for one cat, or quite a few for a lot of cats. I won't be spending hundreds of dollars on a litterbox anytime soon!

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Choice of litter box should have included type of litter box, and which litter it works with like PIne Litter for example.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leela Fry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to everyone who completed our survey :)

We appreciate the feedback and will take it onboard. If anyone has any additional feedback or observations, please let me know.

Thanks again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leela Fry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've amended a couple of the questions based on your feedback. For those who haven't, but would still like to complete the survey, please use this link instead of the one above:

Cat Litter Box - Research

Thanks! :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Done.

The breakdown of cats is not going to give much data range (1, 2 ,3+). The number of litter boxes needed depends on the number of cats and saying 3 is the max will really mess with the relation between number of cats and boxes. I'd probably make the number of cats and number of litter boxes fill im blank instead of multiple choice.

Your dollar ranges are too big. I'm in the US, but £50 range is huge. I'd buy, and have bought, multiple $10 litter boxes to meet my needs but would seriously debate spending over $50 on a single litter box unless it did some serious tricks.

The covered, uncovered question is flawed in that it assumes the human is the only person with control over the type of box and that the only factor is choice. I have a cat who simply doesn't fit in commercial covered boxes, they are too short for him most of the time. When they are tall enough they are too short. It should be what type would you prefer not what you use.

Indoor, outdoor and free to roam are not the only options. Indoor, outdoor, indoor/outdoor is a better wording since that is the standard verbage. My cats aren't free to roam but also aren't indoor only or outdoor only. My cats are indoor/outdoor with curfew, which also impacts boxes because we have an emergency night box, but since it isnt in use 24/7 we don't have multiple boxes to cover multiple cats. If they are locked indoors during normal outside hours, we increase boxes accordingly.

There was one I skipped, oh yeah it was a conditional indoor only. It should have a not indoor only option. Having a question the user has to choose to skip answering can lead to data validate issues if you can't confirm they just missed it versus purposefully skipped it. You can cross reference with the indoor, outdoor question but people like me who aren't indoor only but have reasons for a curfew, leash training, supervised outdoor time, outdoor catio, etc. will mess with your data because those cats are indoor only at times.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I took the revised survey, but I don't think you're going to get much usable information from it. Your choices on the answers are not specific enough for most cat owners. I agree with others that you need to have an option to put in the exact number of cats owned and not just multiple choice. Those of us who have a lot of cats frequently also have several different styles/sizes of litter boxes.

I also skipped the question about how much I would pay for my dream litter box. Your price range, at least on the low end, is too wide, and anything over that first £50 is outrageous, IMO.

Roxabelle

Human slave to Sinclair the Kitten
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with GoldyCat GoldyCat on the price question. £0-£50 is a huuuuuuge price bracket for litter trays. Sinclair is a tiny kitten so she just needs a small, simple tray, and an inexpensive one because she'll grow out of it. I think it cost me £4 ($5) and it does the job. Keeping it clean and topped up takes me 2 minutes, and it's not a chore I do begrudgingly because it's a simple part towards keeping my cat happy and healthy. But I bet that tray looks drastically different to one that would cost £45-£50. Anything priced over that just seems ridiculously unnecessary.