Hope for the Best But Prepare for the Worst

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always enjoyed reading post-apocalyptic fiction, starting with Alas Babylon back in 1959. Covid-19 is making it seem a more possible, happening event.

We did deal with Superstorm Sandy, that left us without electric power for 2 weeks. Aggravating, but not impossible. I do find people who, concerned by winter storms, buy 2 gallons of milk and extra bread not thinking things through. Power goes out milk spoils and even with refrigeration has limited storage life. How much toast can you eat?

So I'm asking - do you think I am excessively concerned? Face masks we ordered in mid-January have not yet arrived, nor do I have any hope they will show up any time soon. More food, I think, but not anything that we would not consume. So more cans of tuna fish, extra rice, etc, that have long shelf life and are part of our regular diet. Perhaps some bleach, as a general disinfectant. How much cat food, as the boys only eat Fancy Feast, but do consume 4 cans/day between the two of them. We do have a whole house generator that uses propane, and a very large in-ground tank for the propane. Water comes from a well.

So I'm asking "What should we do to prepare?" Suggestions, comments, observations all welcome.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We've tried a couple different approaches here but I balk at having supplies that are of a quantity I'd need to rotate/keep track of, so for us it's been things like (lower sodium) spam. ...which I love so we had to buy a double quantity last time lol

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends what you're trying to be prepared for. In places prone to natural disasters, it's recommended to have a "go bag" with ~3 days worth of supplies in it. Something totally ready to go at all times. You can find lists online for ideas on what to put in a go bag.

If you have more long-term ambitions, that'll requre more planning and storage space. I'm sure there are prepper sites telling you what to get although I'm a little afraid to go looking for them ;).

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are speaking specifically of covid 19 then yes, you are overly concerned. Remember Y2K? Remember SARS? Remember Ebola? This is just another thing in the same vein. The news makes it sound like the end of the world because mass hysteria is good for ratings when in reality it's just another fart in the wind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willowy I'm thinking more along the Wuhan-hunker-down-at-home for several weeks scenario. Not the Mormon-keep-a-year's-supply-of-food.

Updated to reply to Talien Talien Y2K meant my husband had to wire my new greenhouse because all electricians were installing generators. No biggie. SARS and Ebola were not that much of an issue in North America. Zika was more of a concern in Florida. Covid-19 is a very real potential hazard with serious effect in major cities.

Edited to add - courses in microbiology and microbial physiology in college, perhaps a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. But so is Covid-19

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not terribly concerned about COVID-19. For most people it's no worse than a bad cold and the mortality rate is pretty low even in countries less developed than the US. The CDC's preliminary estimates are that somewhere between 16,000-41,000 people have died from the flu this season, and that's just in the US! Whereas fewer than 3,000 have died worldwide from COVID-19 so far. And yet most people seem to not care about the flu. I'm of the opinion that the hysteria surrounding this illness is worse than the illness.

But I suppose there is a possibility of the government overreacting and calling for a complete quarantine. To prepare for that the best thing to do would be to put aside 2 weeks' worth of food and supplies, just in case. That shouldn't take up too much room, and shouldn't be too hard to keep rotated.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The initial death rate from the virus was about 2% and it has been published that death rates for those infected other than in China have been lower than that so 98% or even higher of those infected survive. But the hysteria and the efforts to contain it is probably more disruptive. I dont think this will be apocalypse level but the potential to be quarantined for at least a few weeks is definitely high. Doubtful we would lose power or gas so at least two to three weeks of shelf stable or freezer food is a good idea for everyone.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother is at Columbia University. He just forwarded this media alert to me. What a coincidence.

Media Advisory

CDC WARNS OF LIKELY MAJOR OUTBREAK OF CORONAVIRUS:
“NOT IF BUT WHEN” ACCORDING TO U.S. PUBLIC HEALTH OFFICIAL

• AMERICANS ADVISED TO BE PREPARED, BUT NO GUIDANCE OFFERED!
  • TRUMP SENDS CONFLICTING MESSAGE OF “REASSURANCE“ THAT SITUATION IS UNDER CONTROL (IT ISN’T!)
NEW YORK, FEB 25, 2020 - Irwin Redlener, M.D., Director of the National Center for Disaster Preparedness and Professor Health Policy and Management at Columbia University is prepared to discuss all aspects and implications of these new announcements including:

• What should people do to “prepare” for a major Coronavirus outbreak in the U.S.?
  • Should people be altering travel plans or attendance at public events?
  • Will these warnings affect anything to do with the on-going, intense political season including gathering at rallies, voting, etc.
  • When will candidates speak out about plans for bolstering America’s ability to prevent and control public health crises like the current Covid-19 outbreak?
  • When will this be declared and pandemic and what impact would that have on what the world is doing?
  • When will we have sufficient and efficient means to test for the virus, vaccines to prevent it and specific “anti-viral drugs to treat it?
  • Recent reports suggest that there are about 80,000 cases in the world, Dr. Redlener believes that there actually may be 10 times that number
  • What are the current and potential economic impacts of the epidemic/ pandemic?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 That's more like what I'm thinking. W Willowy I'm not thinking about what if Himself and I are ill to the point of death. More a matter of what if we would be among the 4 out of 5 who are / are not with symptoms and are on isolation because we're contagious. Or if our semi-rural area is closed off and although healthy cannot get out to shop / don't want to take the risk.

I'm not stocking up on caviar and champagne. More a matter of canned soups, tuna fish, pasta, and toilet paper. And there's always enough yarn in my stash to keep me entertained for a good long while.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As an FYI - the Wal-Mart Superstore in Flemington NJ was completely out of bleach today. I asked a service rep when they would have more. He checked with his scanner. No mention of when Chlorox brand bleach will be back in, and the Wal-Mart version is scheduled for March 7.

Went back to Costco and bought one of the last four 3-packs of bleach. As I was hoisting it into the cart two guys each got a 3-pack. So all that was left was one, with the box top opened.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes!!!

Last year, after I moved into senior housing, I came down with pneumonia. I voluntarily wore a mask at the doctors and as I walked through the building.

I did this for 2 reasons: one was I was sick and did not want to give my germs to anyone else. The other reason was that people did have bad colds in here. I did not want to get sicker.
So many people were nosy, asking what was wrong with me!!

Last year, I bought a box of 10 regular masks. Still have them. I also have a 3m dust mask from my last apartment, when they were renovating. Never used it. And somewhere is the disposable N95 mask, I was fitted for, when I was working in the hospital. Have to find that.

As far as preparing: I think we should just think of natural disasters; blizzards, hurricanes. Keep what you need on hand. Non perishable goods.

I cannot use bleach to disinfect, due to asthma.

Glad I am not working. Bad enough I have to go for doctors appointments. Kind of going to be a bit of a hermit.. although grocery shopping will be difficult. Have yet to see anyone around here wearing a mask.

And Yes, masks are for sick people —- to keep the healthy from getting sick.

What ways gets me is when I see someone wearing a mask, yet hanging their nose 👃 outside of the mask, making it useless.
I always make it a point to tell them they are using it incorrectly... they look at me as if I am sprays different language! I usually end up telling them that they may as well not wear the mask, for all the good it is doing! Pet peeve.

Stay healthy. Do not panic. Remember the “bird” flu????

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly think it is more important to wear gloves than a mask. You can stay a distance from others but hard not to touch things that others have touched. When I was watching video from China I saw all these masked people with bare hands. Just seems like that defeats the purpose.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
As an FYI - the Wal-Mart Superstore in Flemington NJ was completely out of bleach today. I asked a service rep when they would have more. He checked with his scanner. No mention of when Chlorox brand bleach will be back in, and the Wal-Mart version is scheduled for March 7.

Went back to Costco and bought one of the last four 3-packs of bleach. As I was hoisting it into the cart two guys each got a 3-pack. So all that was left was one, with the box top opened.
I was at Costco today and saw a few prepper type shoppers but mostly people were buying what looked like their normal shopping. I wasn’t looking for bleach or similar though, just time to buy coffee. I do have a couple of jugs at home though. Can’t stand the smell of the stuff so I have had it forever but I assume it is still good. I also have a half dozen bottles of disinfectant spray because it is my favorite cleaning. product.

And I have a couple boxes, maybe a hundred face masks. I was with an airline through the H1N1 virus and we were stocked up. When the airline closed down in 2008 they were part of the stuff employees could take so I grabbed a couple boxes. I don’t know what kind they are though but I suppose something is better than nothing.

Last edited:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are speaking specifically of covid 19 then yes, you are overly concerned. Remember Y2K? Remember SARS? Remember Ebola? This is just another thing in the same vein. The news makes it sound like the end of the world because mass hysteria is good for ratings when in reality it's just another fart in the wind.
Yep, exactly. I don't prepare for any supposed major events, specifically weather-related, because I live in Minnesota. A blizzard could drop 2 feet of snow and I'd only be "stranded" at home for less than a day because the plows are out immediately. When it comes to the coronavirus, washing your hands and making sure you don't touch your face are really the best things you can do to stay safe. Masks will not do anything and are actually pretty much ineffective when it comes to this virus.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One other thing to do sooner rather than later is to get refills on all of your medications, preferably 90 scrips. This isn’t because of potential outbreaks in the US but rather the disruptions going on in China, where a large percentage of US meds come from. There aren’t shortages as of yet but they are expected as stores are used up.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I really don't think there is much chance of you catching Covid19. It's a good idea to stock up on prescription meds and other things you might need if you do get sick, such as aspirin, but there's no need to panic. In places where there have been outbreaks residents have been advised to have a couple of weeks worth of groceries at home in case they are told to self isolate.

Masks don't do a great deal. Washing your hands is more important and, maybe this is a Japanese thing, but gargling with warm salty water is supposed to prevent colds.

I always have at least a month's worth of cat food stocked up at this time of year as I regularly get snowed in. Winter vegetables like potatoes, cabbage, carrots etc store well. I can always survive on vege stew, as long as the cats have what they need.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To clarify - I am not so much concerned about catching Covid-19 as I am about the societal disruptions it causes - difficulty in grocery shopping at the top of that list. Therefore stocking up extra on items we typically use seems prudent.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To clarify - I am not so much concerned about catching Covid-19 as I am about the societal disruptions it causes - difficulty in grocery shopping at the top of that list. Therefore stocking up extra on items we typically use seems prudent.
That makes sense, I can definitely see wanting to avoid potential hysteria.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, exactly. I don't prepare for any supposed major events, specifically weather-related, because I live in Minnesota. A blizzard could drop 2 feet of snow and I'd only be "stranded" at home for less than a day because the plows are out immediately. When it comes to the coronavirus, washing your hands and making sure you don't touch your face are really the best things you can do to stay safe. Masks will not do anything and are actually pretty much ineffective when it comes to this virus.
:yeah: I agree, wearing a mask won't protect you from this virus. However, if you do get sick stay home, and if you really have to go outside anyway then wear a mask. I think the hysteria comes from seeing people on TV wearing hazmat suits, carrying a sick person on a stretcher who is sealed inside some type of plastic covering.