Hooray for Cougars!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There was a lot that had, and was, going wrong, --- kidney disease, etc.

Bless that cat, he was one heck of a representative for his species, and wildlife in general.

RIP big cat, we loved you even if you didn't know it

:redheartpump::rbheart::redheartpump:

Who knows, maybe that darling baby that started this thread will walk in his footprints, even if only metaphorically 💖

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Color me skeptical.

Animal control in Los Angeles (including the CA Department of Fish and Wildlife) has a ghastly record when it comes to wild animals emerging alive, once captured. I hoped against hope that P-22's capture would not be a death sentence.

Chronic weight loss is not an irreversible condition. Not had he been taken to a sanctuary and fed properly while he was on the mend.

Nor is "mange"--what they are calling a "parasitic skin infection over his entire body"--untreatable.

My own cat, Desmond, was crushed by an automobile before we adopted him. Thank goodness a wonderful rescue organization and volunteer veterinarians did "invasive surgical repairs," because today Desmond is a happy and healthy cat who adds joy to our lives.

Every day cats have surgical procedures. Or have treatments to rid them of parasites. And have injuries treated. Or are given medications to relieve their arthritis. Or are treated for kidney disease.

I hate to be skeptical. But I am.

Bill

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All of P22's issues combined with his age made for a very shaky health situation that wouldn't have worked out in his best interest.

I'm sorry 😞.

The baby in the photo in the first post of this thread will have big paws to fill ❤🌹❤

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that an effort could have been made, at the very least. But I am not in the least bit surprised that it was not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Tears rolling down my face…will certainly raise a toast to him tonight, and every year after. Let’s hope this new batch of kittens has a better fate. I can say, at least there are no ranchers around me, as there used to be decades ago…

And again, at least they are as we speak building wildlife corridors! And am pleased to report, tho my neighbors have seen him/her, all I’ve seen of my elusive local dweller are the ENORMOUS paw prints and high up on the tree scratches. Thank you all…I had a feeling this might be the outcome, but it helps to bear the grief by sharing it. :grouphug: 🐾 Here’s to Cougars everywhere, long may they live.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cougars have been increasing in numbers and spreading East but they often don't win when there is an encounter with humans. There have been two in Illinois and they were both killed. One was in Chicago itself. There have been a number of confirmed cougars in Michigan and Tennessee. Many humans are scared of the big cats, I can understand a very healthy respect but there are ways to avoid being hurt or worse. Humans that get scared usually don't listen to reason. There is also the issue of livestock losses.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
31D4D241-A321-468A-B85A-52EB7D7482A5.jpeg Sorry I wasn’t able to be there to attend…but glad he meant so much to people that he had his own memorial.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
A partial list from P-22’s final necropsy. Most disturbingly to me traces of rat poison. let’s hope the new batch of puma kittens they’ve discovered have a better fate. At least Fish and Wildlife (as they are now called) is stepping up and protecting other animals lately like wolverines, beavers and fisher cats. Something they wouldn’t have done when I was a kid.
IMG_6167.jpeg

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in a state where they have been "eradicated." Daisy and I heard one near our house years ago. The loud, perfect scream - it sounded like it was in my front yard. Daisy looked at me like, "Mama, do something!" I suspect she wanted me to grab a flashlight and go outside. Or maybe she was just scared. I said, "Daisy, I am going to do something. I am going to bed. You can join me if you want to." They are still here. A friend told me to ask his daughters (who hunt) and they could confirm seeing them. I'm not happy about coyotes, though I don't want to see them hurt. I am thrilled about cougars, though they keep a low profile. I suspect there are few. :frown: