Hooray for Cougars!

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Should others wish to express their concerns about the capture of P22, here is the email address for LA City Councilperson Nithya Raman, who represents the area where the recent incident with P22 and a local dog took place (and where P22 often makes his home):

[email protected]

My email has been sent. My feeling is that hearing from others couldn't hurt.

Our city's record of "capturing" wildlife and having them survive it is pretty dismal.

Bill

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Save LA Cougars should get involved in this, and I can't imagine that PETA won't. LA Times had two letters asking that P22 not be reported when sighted as it would mean colluding in his death sentence and another that asked that he be retired to the LA Zoo. This is going to blow open, I am sure.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Save LA Cougars should get involved in this, and I can't imagine that PETA won't. LA Times had two letters asking that P22 not be reported when sighted as it would mean colluding in his death sentence and another that asked that he be retired to the LA Zoo. This is going to blow open, I am sure.
Oddly, there is currently no call the action (that I'm seeing) on the Save LA Cougars website. I have no doubt this group, and like minded others, are weighing in.

As to PETA, after investigating the way they have treated animals in their care, I have very negative feelings about that organization.

Bill

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I wondered about that as well with SLAC; they must be in some planning stage to address this. PETA seems to turn up often at various city council meetings, not just LA, which is why I expressed surprise that they are not present.

I sent a message to HSUS-California asking if they are going to become involved. So far, they appreciate my interest.

Just sent an email.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wondered about that as well with SLAC; they must be in some planning stage to address this. PETA seems to turn up often at various city council meetings, not just LA, which is why I expressed surprise that they are not present.

I sent a message to HSUS-California asking if they are going to become involved. So far, they appreciate my interest.

Just sent an email.
Thanks for the email!

I don't wish to derail an important thread, but you may want to look into the kill-rate at PETA run animal shelters to get an idea about what sort of ally they are in the cause of animal welfare. It is shocking, to put it mildly.

Bill

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very familiar with PETA and their approach to animal welfare, so called. Their anti-TNR policy, coupled with the belief that all cats must ultimately be kept indoors (ignoring the question of those true ferals who are simply not going to be pets, ever), is enough for me. I am sure that the ferals for whom I have been able to prevent multiple pregnancies and insure some quality of protected outdoor life would disagree with them.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am very familiar with PETA and their approach to animal welfare, so called. Their anti-TNR policy, coupled with the belief that all cats must ultimately be kept indoors (ignoring the question of those true ferals who are simply not going to be pets, ever), is enough for me. I am sure that the ferals for whom I have been able to prevent multiple pregnancies and insure some quality of protected outdoor life would disagree with them.
Thank you for your efforts!

Bill

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
D709A708-51AD-4E54-9506-30CB1CE34B5B.jpeg A snippet emphasizing P22 & the need for wildlife crossings over highways!

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not a malcontent by nature; however, life experience has taught me to have very little to no faith over the treatment of wildlife in the hands of city animal-control agencies.

Humane outcomes are rare.

I was hoping the fame of P22 might, just might, lead to an exception in this case.

Not happy.

Bill

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I was prepared for the fact that as soon as P22 was captured, the discussion would swing into the "he's not very well" phase immediately, followed by the "they don't do well in sanctuaries" explanation.

Through various experiences with animal control agencies and Fish and Wildlife, I have found that they are not exactly crusaders who are out there to defend animals.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
3B9DFFDE-5973-4A91-B584-E70B6B5EDC40.jpeg If it’s any consolarion, note Gavin Newsom’s wife is wearing a ”save the cougar” sweater, as they both shovel the first dirt for the wildlife corridor over 101. This will help cougars & all animals from being hit by cars: I might actually buy this sweater: savelacougars.myshopify.com…proceeds go to help protecting mountain lions. To further cheer up everyone, there is a mountain lion on my property, doing quite well, and not eating chihuahuas! Here’s to P22! Long may he wave! 🤞

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Response to email regarding well being of P22. Just arrived at time of this post.

Thank you for sharing your concern for the safety and wellbeing of P-22. Please be assured that our office supports the careful treatment and assessment of P-22 in determining the best next steps for P-22 while also prioritizing the safety of the surrounding communities.

On December 8, the California Dept of Fish & Wildlife (CDFW) announced plans to capture the P-22 and bring him in for a health evaluation. Since being captured on December 12 in Los Feliz, CDFW veterinarians and National Park Service are “actively monitoring the situation and evaluating the most humane options available for a plan of action for the lion and the community in which he lives.”
We follow the lead of advocates like Beth Pratt, CA Regional Director of the National Wildlife Federation, in deferring to the expertise of the CDFW veterinarians and National Park Service in their future decisions. We encourage you to reach out to the CDFW with further questions or concerns.
We will be continuing to communicate with residents as we receive new information, so be sure to sign up for our newsletter to stay up-to-date.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
I just got that too. I emailed an offer that he could stay with me, if they run low on options…there is already one roaming around here, so maybe it’s a lonely lady! Long shot, but basically he’s a large feral, so, only diff is the size! ;)