Hookworms and litter cleaning

Ashley1250

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I have 3 cats and will be treating them all for hookworms, as 1 tested positive and it is contagious through poo. I asked my vet if I should scrub the litter boxes and put in new litter and I'm confused what he really meant by his answer. He said to clean them daily for at least a week and to wipe the cats paws daily as well. I don't know if "clean" means removing the poo from the boxes (which I already do twice a day) or if he meant to scrub out the boxes and put new litter each day. I'm assuming he means clean as in scooping, I hope thats all it is. 😬

Any insight would help. Thanks!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go the extra step and clean/scrub the boxes daily. The worms might have migrated off/out of the poo and be in the box elsewhere. (never dealt with hookworms so just an opinion).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashley1250

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would go the extra step and clean/scrub the boxes daily. The worms might have migrated off/out of the poo and be in the box elsewhere. (never dealt with hookworms so just an opinion).
Even though I normally scoop them twice a day already? I guess I could clean and replace the litter and just not use as much litter so its not such a waste 🤔 That's my main concern.
But also, now thinking about it, he said for a week but they will get one dose today or tomorrow and then again in 2 weeks. So I would need to do this for each week after giving a dose maybe?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though I normally scoop them twice a day already? I guess I could clean and replace the litter and just not use as much litter so its not such a waste 🤔 That's my main concern.
But also, now thinking about it, he said for a week but they will get one dose today or tomorrow and then again in 2 weeks. So I would need to do this for each week after giving a dose maybe?
Like I said, I never dealt with hookworms. Just roundworms. Hopefully somebody with experience will chime in. Was just giving my take if the vet told me this. Maybe call the vet for specifics??

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe use disposable litter boxes until the hookworms are gone? Cat's Pride is one brand. A very large deep foil baking type dish would also work.

Don't forget to clean and disinfect the litter scoop, too.

Ashley1250

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe use disposable litter boxes until the hookworms are gone? Cat's Pride is one brand. A very large deep foil baking type dish would also work.

Don't forget to clean and disinfect the litter scoop, too.
Thank you!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
In the case of worms or other endoparasites, the litter should ideally be changed and the box washed and disinfected daily until the end of treatment and a negative follow-up test.

Disposable litter boxes make that so much easier, but you don't necessarily have to buy them. Shallow cartons from the supermarket (many will be glad to give you them) put on top of a garbage bag or incontinence pad/puppy pad and filled with some cheap litter will usually do.

Ashley1250

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the case of worms or other endoparasites, the litter should ideally be changed and the box washed and disinfected daily until the end of treatment and a negative follow-up test.

Disposable litter boxes make that so much easier, but you don't necessarily have to buy them. Shallow cartons from the supermarket (many will be glad to give you them) put on top of a garbage bag or incontinence pad/puppy pad and filled with some cheap litter will usually do.
Thank you!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call the vet and clarify the instructions. I think they meant cleanout the clumps. During this deworming, I would clean the box out weekly completely every week until a week after the last treatment. If at all possible, take outside with the scoop, spray off with a hose, spray with Clorox water or a good disinfectant and rinse, or rinse with scalding water. These worms do not travel to a human's intestines as they do with cats but can burrow under the skin, so wash your hands frequently. I use Profender, which is a topical applied high up to the skin of the back of the neck, it kills all worms, including hookworm with one treatment. Few wormers do. It's not that expensive if you buy it on PetMeds, Foster and Smiths, or other sites with your vets prescription, it's twice as much when bought through the vet,.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call the vet and clarify the instructions. I think they meant cleanout the clumps. During this deworming, I would clean the box out weekly completely every week until a week after the last treatment. If at all possible, take outside with the scoop, spray off with a hose, spray with Clorox water or a good disinfectant and rinse, or rinse with scalding water. These worms do not travel to a human's intestines as they do with cats but can burrow under the skin, so wash your hands frequently. I use Profender, which is a topical applied high up to the skin of the back of the neck, it kills all worms, including hookworm with one treatment. Few wormers do. It's not that expensive if you buy it on PetMeds, Foster and Smiths, or other sites with your vets prescription, it's twice as much when bought through the vet,.
I second Profender. Boone and Gracie were treated with that when they had roundworms. Took care of the problem by the next day!!

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would clarify with your vet, but the “good” thing about hookworms is that the eggs are not immediately infected. The eggs have to undergo several stages of development which takes 7-10 days depending on environment. Personally, I think scooping several times a day should be sufficient.

Ashley1250

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much! I will definitely look into Profender. It was clarified to me that I just need to change out the litter daily, but I will probably clean the actual box every couple days, or get a disposable as a few other mentioned.