Hooded litter box for 15 lb cat?

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm looking into hooded litter box to trap tho odor. Is there a big enough one for 15 lb cat?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

The biggest covered box I'm aware of is

It doesn't have a flap, but I personally prefer to remove the flap in any case. It gives kitty more room and lets fresh air circulate a little. I've never used this model myself though.

Other options are

or

I have the regular sized Catit boxes and am very happy with them for my girls (though are a bit small for the boys to happily use). As the design is the same as the Jumbo box, I would imagine that could work very well for a larger cat.

I have two of the Savic Nestor XXL covered litter trays too. They suit my big boys much better than the regular size Catit boxes, and all four cats use them for preference.

The best way to manage cat litter odour is regular scooping. I have four cats and four boxes, and I scoop at least 3 times a day (morning, at around 4 or 5pm and just before I go to bed). I really don't like the thought of fully enclosed boxes for odour control, as it can make for a rather unpleasant environment for the cat. I'd rather scoop more often and deal with the smell that way. It's better for the cats too, as they definitely prefer clean boxes.

What’s The Largest Cat Litter Box (and Why Your Cat Needs It) – Cat Articles
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know – Cat Articles

Last edited:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are predators but they are also prey. For this reason, their poop shouldn’t have a strong odor. The reason it does is because the cat is being fed an inappropriate diet (primarily kibble, carbs). The best way to control odor is to research feline nutrition and feed a healthy diet (hint: start with no dry food).

Hooded litter boxes are nice for humans but not ideal for cats. As I mentioned, cats are prey, and they prefer to have multiple exit routes when pooping. Humans impose these conditions on cats and then wonder why their cat has suddenly started defecating outside of the box.

Anyway, I know most people probably don’t want to hear any of this and it will likely be glazed over since convenience for humans is always #1, but if you want some real advice rather than just covering up issues in a convenient way, here it is.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm looking into hooded litter box to trap tho odor.
Why would you want to trap odor inside the litter box? :headscratch: The cat has to enter the box and if it stinks, the cat will refuse to use the litter box and just use your floor or furniture.

If litter box odors are a problem, there are ways to mitigate it. Keep at least 3 inches of litter in the box. Scoop daily. Put the litter box in a well ventilated area if possible. Place non-scented odor absorbers near the litter box. Consider feeding your cat a higher quality food. Poor quality food full of fillers results in super stinky poop. There are automatic litter boxes that will remove waste a few minutes after a cat uses the box. The waste goes into a container which you would have to check and empty when full.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you poop in a hooded toilet that traps the odors? Yeah, your cat doesn't like it any better. If you don't want him choosing other places to poop, I would skip the hood and look at litter or diet fixes for odor control.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why would you want to trap odor inside the litter box? :headscratch: The cat has to enter the box and if it stinks, the cat will refuse to use the litter box and just use your floor or furniture.

If litter box odors are a problem, there are ways to mitigate it. Keep at least 3 inches of litter in the box. Scoop daily. Put the litter box in a well ventilated area if possible. Place non-scented odor absorbers near the litter box. Consider feeding your cat a higher quality food. Poor quality food full of fillers results in super stinky poop. There are automatic litter boxes that will remove waste a few minutes after a cat uses the box. The waste goes into a container which you would have to check and empty when full.
What are the non-scented odor absorbers? Would it be something like this?
What brand of food do you recommend? Currently I'm giving the cat "Blue Wilderness with salmon": as well as Feline Greenies (catnip flavor):
What is the brand name of the automatic litterbox?

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My links aren't showing it seems, but you can search the names on Amazon to see what I'm referring to. For absorbers, I am referring to KoolerThings 5 Pack - Bamboo Charcoal Air Purifying Bags.

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"Do you feed any canned food?"

Yes, Muse (Tuna in gravy).

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much of the canned food might be appropriate for a 15lb cat?
Sometimes I see leftovers and I'm not sure if she's going to eat the rest of it.
Do cats not like it when their food is left in the open air for too long? Is it better to put them in some sort of container to seal out the air when cat leaves some leftovers after eating?

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I see leftovers and I'm not sure if she's going to eat the rest of it.
Do cats not like it when their food is left in the open air for too long? Is it better to put them in some sort of container to seal out the air when cat leaves some leftovers after eating?
If it's tinned , it goes off quick once you open it , so i remove any leftovers after 30 mins.
He should have about 300 to 450 calories , if you are only feeding wet ( which i've heard is better(

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You should post this in the Nutrition forum to get advice on how much to feed :)

Canned and pouched foods are fully cooked so they are ok if left out all day. The food might get dry but most cats are ok with it. There are ways to keep canned food out all day and keep it moist longer. The members who frequent the Nutrition forum will have tips to share.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m using the Jumbo Catit one but I leave the flap open. The little patch of odour absorber isn’t effective enough. I mix a few scoops of pine pellets into the sand as it absorbs the odour better than the tiny charcoal thing does.

The reason I like this box because it keeps the sand contained compared to the open type. My cats love digging before they do their business so the enclosure prevents too much sand from splattering everywhere outside the box.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are predators but they are also prey. For this reason, their poop shouldn’t have a strong odor. The reason it does is because the cat is being fed an inappropriate diet (primarily kibble, carbs). The best way to control odor is to research feline nutrition and feed a healthy diet (hint: start with no dry food).

Hooded litter boxes are nice for humans but not ideal for cats. As I mentioned, cats are prey, and they prefer to have multiple exit routes when pooping. Humans impose these conditions on cats and then wonder why their cat has suddenly started defecating outside of the box.

Anyway, I know most people probably don’t want to hear any of this and it will likely be glazed over since convenience for humans is always #1, but if you want some real advice rather than just covering up issues in a convenient way, here it is.
I agree completely.

A hooded litter box may not be necessary. My boys are now only fed high quality wet food and a bit of high quality kibble (as we are gone for 12 hours a day).

Since changing their diet their box virtually never smells! Their poop is dry and firm. Even their pee doesnt smell.

Both boys are very particular about having a clean box and often actually wait till bed time to use it because they know the boxes are scooped every night at bed time.

I am sure they would both intensely dislike a covered box and especially one with a door. They are cautious about where they travel and are unlikely to go thru a door blindly. Perhaps this is why so many cats dont like closed doors........ not because they want to enter, but because they cant see what is on the other side of the door.

Greg and arnold are both over 20 lbs...... arnold couldnt even stand in a regular box and use it cleanly. The larger boxes were ridicously priced. Instead I bought a plastic storage bin used for storing items under beds...... at 75 % less than a comparable supersized litter box.

20180303_102549.jpg