Honeybee Is Having Issues Pooping

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Well I should have posted sooner. Seems my girl seems to suffer from a type of IBS as she has to have medication or canned Pumpkin in order to defecate.
Bit of background, Bee is 7 or 8 years old. All the time I've had her, she's had trouble with pooping but canned Pumpkin and or miralax with vets approval has been working. So we went away for almost 3 weeks and while at the camp, she was pooping just fine without the meds or Pumpkin. So I've come to conclusion that the water is what's different. The camp was on lake water. We drank it and neither of us got sick.

My place is on town water and it's essentially well water but found out they have been adding chemicals due to bacteria. So I've now stopped giving her this water 2 days ago. I give her bottled water but probably doesn't matter. Nothing else changed. Her diet is kibble despite me trying canned food. She's just not interested.

So the last time she left me a present #2 was Saturday but she does go outside. So I have restarted miralax yesterday and canned Pumpkin since Monday. I know if I just keep giving her these items, she will have no problem with going but I stopped because she was going without any help for 3 weeks. Just seems strange how we come home and she gets plugged up...the only thing I can think of that changed is the water. By the way I also suffer from same issues. I too take stuff to help or eat a ton of vegetables.

I also noticed her kind of nauseous so I gave her a dose of Cerenia last night. Pill form. In a capsule. It seemed to make her more comfortable. This morning getting ready to make her tuna mush with miralax. I'm hopeful that she will leave me a big pile in the box otherwise we will have to take her in for an enema the poor girl. By the way her appetite is fine which is weird...so this morning gonna call to see which vet is on duty and if our regular vet is there, maybe we can be seen today. My poor girl.

Who knew water source has something to do with our diets??

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a thought. One of mine only wanted dry food, I managed after nearly a year to get him on 85g of wet daily. In this time he defecated every 2 days and it was usually quite hard. He has developed stress related uti and is on prescription diet. He has Royal Canin Urinary SO meaty morsals in gravy and absolutely loves it, no more dry. He now defecates daily and more of it and its also far more moist. My point is would it be worth trying something similar for Honeybee suitable for her IBS.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried adding a little bit of water to her food? If she'll eat it slightly moist, you could try adding a little bit more water each time until it's fairly mushy, then add in a little bit of canned food and see if she'll eat it. If that works, add a little more canned food each time until she's just eating that.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A change in routine can cause stress which can affect bowel habits. It may have not been the water but simply taking her out of the house and to the camp could have caused the change in bowel habits. Just a thought.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes stress is probably one cause but at camp she was defecating on her own without canned Pumpkin. She wont eat wet food. BUT I got her to eat a bit of baby food and gonna do a mix of baby food and canned food. It will be a slow transition. The ither issue is she vomits alot when we try new food . The food she eats is 4Health indoor formula

On vacation we tried a grain free low ingredient food and It made her vomit. We did a slow transition. I even waited a week and fed a few pebbles and it still made her vomit. This is typical of her. I tried Fromm food, acana and all the other "better" foods and she pukes. So at this point as long as I gice her canned Pumpkin daily and her pinch of miralax she stays pretty regular.

Before I left for work I felt her belly and she meowed so she's pretty uncomfortable. Probably have the vet give her an enema so she can finally have relief. This will be the 2nd time. The last enema was in 2014? 2015? So not too upset. But I know she's got to eat a better diet but it causes more stress by fighting with her for eating.

She will eat raw so my plan after this week, is to introduce raw meat for one meal a day so this will increasr protein and moisture to help her body eliminate bette .

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried adding a little bit of water to her food? If she'll eat it slightly moist, you could try adding a little bit more water each time until it's fairly mushy, then add in a little bit of canned food and see if she'll eat it. If that works, add a little more canned food each time until she's just eating that.
Yeah thats a no. It's a good idea. But she has a weird way of eating. She eats her food on a blanket because she doesn't know how to bite. She just licks her food and when it flies across the dish and she gets mad. So we found this cat dish that has a deep center but shallow. She's been eating her kibble in that no problem but mr. DH likes to hand feed her by scattering her kibble on her blanket. She has her own kitchen table. Lol. We spoil her.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a thought. One of mine only wanted dry food, I managed after nearly a year to get him on 85g of wet daily. In this time he defecated every 2 days and it was usually quite hard. He has developed stress related uti and is on prescription diet. He has Royal Canin Urinary SO meaty morsals in gravy and absolutely loves it, no more dry. He now defecates daily and more of it and its also far more moist. My point is would it be worth trying something similar for Honeybee suitable for her IBS.
If they had small bags of this food I could try but she won't eat canned food unless it's pate style. Thats a good idea. The canned Pumpkin keeps her regular but yes the stress of traveling home and the neighbors kitty is probably not helpful to her. The neighbors kitty likes to hang out with us. I've been wanting to get her a friend anyways so I was transitioning her to get used to Chubs so she has a friend. She actually goes looking for him. She used to howl at him but now she lets him in her yard as long as he keeps his distance. He's about her age 6 or 7 and just very gentle. He just wants to lick her. But he's smart to pay attention to her body language.

The vet opens at 9 so will call and hopefully they will take her in this afternoon. There's 2 locations I can try to get her in. They are open until 6pm so at least they can see her. But it is expensive...cats!!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I called the vets, they have a 5pm opening and this will work. They were booked for the day but this is the smaller vets office and closer to home. The girl was very helpful on the phone. She says stress can be a problem for constipation with us traveling and all the settling in.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
She will eat raw so my plan after this week, is to introduce raw meat for one meal a day so this will increase protein and moisture to help her body eliminate better.
This was going to be my suggestion also. :thumbsup:

Carleton has the same issue with canned food except that every type I tried had the opposite effect, i.e. diarrhea, and that was on a slow transition period. I think every cat's system is different and we are in tune with it whether it's their eating habits, litter box routine, etc.

In order to increase our guy's fluid intake I give him freeze dried raw in the evening. He loves it and no diarrhea! :yess:

Best wishes at the vet later today, fingers crossed for Honeybee. :crossfingers::crossfingers:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We did well at the vets. They weighed her, 10.2 lbs and healthy. They gave her an enema. The vet said that she wasn't horribly backed up but definitely was some in her colon. The enema didn't take long at all to work. She left them a stinky pile of :censored::spew::lol2:
The girl said she was trying to bury it in the kennel and making a mess so they had to take her out, hold her while someone else threw away the puppy pad full of poop. The guy who is the vet tech said she was well behaved and only had to use one person to do the enema..I guess it's normally a two person thing but she was so well behaved.

Said she didn't growl or bite. She did howl which is normal for her. She's a bitty kitty but loud when she wants to be.

They gave her sub fluids and her distemper shot since she's overdue for it. They said she was easy to wash down as they have a grooming station and didnt mind the water on her backend. I told them that she loves baths. She doesn't mind being wet.

So she was growly pissy at home but probably uncomfortable from the poking and gas from the procedure. She insisted that she had to go check out the yard so she poked around the back yard while I pulled weeds. Chubs the kitty came over to get some pets and I know he really wanted to give Bee a kiss but she was giving him the evil eye.

The vets said she probably would have gone on her own eventually but it would be uncomfortable for her so it was better to make Bee Kitty comfortable. Wasn't cheap either. :mad2: highway robbery but I do like the staff. It's not their fault the owners of the Business are greedy. They always updating and making the building bigger and bigger with fancy fixtures...me I rather see the staff paid fairly well and an average building. I don't care what the interior looks like as long as it's clean and functional. :dunno:

This morning she was under the bed but this is normal for her as she knows she's not allowed outside when it's dark out. She's used to going outside with me in the morning but sadly it's too dark in the mornings now.

Oh they had me buy some fiber food for her. Which has corn meal in it. So we decided to use that food as treats instead of temptation treats. So far she ate it but told DH go easy on it incase it makes her puke. The shape is small triangles whoch didn't seem to bother her. This morning still gave her tuna mush but with half the dose of miralax. Don't want to end up in same spot in a week.

She was eating it up when left for work. She didn't sleep on me last night. It was humid and sticky.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update on Bee Kitty. She's doing ok. She eats the new food but still only at 50/50 as she's puked it a few times. We still giving canned Pumpkin 3 times a week to aid her digestive tract.

She's doing good now that it's not so hot.

She loves the cooler nights as she sleeps on me when it's down in the 50s at night.

Took this picture yesterday afternoon in the rain..she was chasing a toad and wouldn't come in out of the sprinkles.

20190923_175800.jpg

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear she is improving, its so hard for us when they are ill. Keep getting better Honeybee. Did she catch the toad by the way?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bee7.jpg

here she was in May=she looks like a teddy bear=her fur is now halfway grown in. Her tail looks like a cat o'nine tail with the fluff sticking out of the cat o'nine tails. I have to get some pictures uploaded.

This is her ticked off at mommy face-she wanted the window opened-it was dark-no outties after sun down.