Honest Kitchen

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is the question...does anyone use it and have any opinions about it. A friend swears by it and says both her dogs and cats love it.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our cats hated it. Would not eat it. FYI there's a LOT of potatoes in it.
We also tried Cat Person. That was even worse.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I briefly fed it per the breeder's recommendation. The breeder recommended that I leave a bowl of the dry powder out for my cat to eat in between raw meals 😮 Dry powder is messy to eat and dehydrating. My cat didn't really like it so I stopped feeding it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I tried a free sample with my guys who already ate raw. No one would touch it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
That is the question...does anyone use it and have any opinions about it. A friend swears by it and says both her dogs and cats love it.
It worked wonders for our daughter's dog who has IBS. He had a lot of digestive issues from other brands of dog food but did amazingly well on Honest Kitchen.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last I checked it in detail was several years ago but it was very, very carby, with potato pretty high on the ingredient list. Potato doesn't really belong in cat food anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My friend who uses it began with her dog, so that might be part of the story. I am going to pass. Heaven knows I put enough "nice" food out for the wildlife after all the cats turn up their noses.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed it to my cats sometimes. I like it as an easy-to-transport, affordable and better alternative to dry food. I don’t feed it exclusively because it is higher in carbs than I’d like, but I use it in the winter to stretch canned food further and save me some (on-foot) trips to the pet store.

My cats like it fine and have had no digestive issues as a result, but I mix it about 50/50 with good quality canned and prepared frozen raw. Sometimes those freeze-dried raw nuggets. And lots of warm water and some omega 3 oils. I like mixing things together and feeding lots of different things- honest kitchen is a good vehicle for that, but I wouldn’t feed it alone unless it were for financial reasons, but I’d do that before feeding kibble.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think that my friend who likes it, who is in PA by the way, does much the same as you do. She has said it would be good emergency food as well.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that my friend who likes it, who is in PA by the way, does much the same as you do. She has said it would be good emergency food as well.
Definitely! I think one 4lb box would probably feed my three cats for a month. I'd eat it, too, in a pinch. It smells and looks a lot like pablum.