Honest Kitchen Raw Products Recall

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honest Kitchen is recalling several products due to - of all things - potentially Salmonella-contaminated parsley. *snort*

I’m writing to inform you that today we are voluntarily recalling five lots of our Verve, Zeal and Thrive products, which were produced between August and November 2012 and sold nationwide in the US and Canada via retail stores, mail order and online after August 2012. We are taking this precautionary action after learning that one of our raw ingredients suppliers has recalled a batch of human-grade parsley that has the potential to contain Salmonella. The batch of parsley was shipped to us in 2012 and used in the five lots of finished Honest Kitchen products. We’ve included specific details about which lots are being recalled, directions on how you can obtain a full refund for the affected lots, and information on the potential effects of Salmonella in our official recall press release.

You can view Honest Kitchen's full announcement here.

For most cats, Salmonella isn't going to cause any problems, but if your kitty is unhealthy or has serious digestive inflammation issues (IBD/IBS), your best bet is to return these foods.

AC

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have decided to abstain from any commercial grind that is not all animal and aafco style suppments.

First it's rude, my cat has no interest in parsley or spinach(aunt jeni's). 

Second the danger is obvious.

A hunk of meat, or a whole carcass is technically sterile under the surface areas when handled and processed properly. 

Then they introduce untested vegetables into their grinder, which over the years keep on causing pathogen outbreaks, into meat being ground.

We all know when meat is ground, the surface area exposed to air jumps exponentially.

If I was a dog owner, I would only put something processed like canned pumpkin, or rice etc.  If I am going to put something perishable, it will be animal based only.

Or they could just cook the vegetable.