Homer

arrgy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For the first time in 21 years I woke up, and I didn't have a pair of eyes staring at me. My boy Homer would always make it a point to be in the same room with me when I woke up. Didn't matter if I was in my bedroom or on my couch, Homer always was the first thing to greet me, and today he wasn't there, he wasn't looking at me. And it hurts.

I have always had a pet since I can remember, as a kid it was always dogs, as I grew older I transitioned to cats, and when driving home from somewhere 21 years ago, I stopped at an adoption center in Page, AZ, and for some unknown reason I had to find a companion for my other cat: Hermes.

A small all black furry kitten, looking all scared, was sitting by himself in a cage, separated from other cats who didn't want anything to do with him. Something told me, I had to have him. Without thinking I was filling out adoption paperwork and driving him home so he could meet his older brother. Hermes accepted him immediately, and taught him everything he could...from walking, grooming, hunting, you name it. They played well together, they slept together, and they became best of friends. For 10 years, Hermes and Homer were inseparable, until one Thursday afternoon when a stroke took my Hermes away. I thought Homer would be as devastated as I, but the night I had to put Hermes down, Homer came to me in my grief, nestled himself next to me and gave me comfort.
He was a dog in a cat's body. He was trained, he came when called, he loved to hunt lizards, and he made sure the house was safe and secure.

We got into the habit of always being in the same room when we went to bed, and when we woke up. Turkey was your favorite food, and getting brushed was your favorite leisure time activity. The last three weeks with you was cruel for both of us, you were in pain, and we both suffered, nothing I did seemed to help, and when the vet told me that the tumor growing in your body was too large for you or I to handle...I knew it was time to let you go. Even though I had dozens of pets in my life, you I will miss the most, your loss I may never get over, and as a result..you will be my last. No one can replace you, I was lucky, you were a once in a lifetime friend and companion. My only hope is that one day we will be reunited, and we can continue the friendship we started many years ago. One day, I hope to wake up and see you again.
20200609_161631.jpg

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a beautiful and touching photo of Homer, and also such poignant tribute of him. I can feel your grief and sadness. Please hang in there.

I am sure Homer is now with Hermes. I can almost imagine them chasing each other on an endless fields of grasses and blooms. I hope you do not dwell too much on this sadness, but I pray one day you will remember them with more of a smile than of tears. I also pray that one day your heart will be ready again to fall in love with another cat, and accompany you in your life's journey.

They say that grief does not really go away. It just gets mellow in time. We each face our losses in different ways, but I pray for you to be stronger to pull this through.

Sending all my prayers and warm hugs.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are no words to comfort the inconsolable, only time that will dull the sharp edges. When you lose a soulmate, they take a bit of your soul when they leave for comfort, but leave behind a tiny bit of their own to help you with your grief. It hurts, it hurts horribly.......
One day you will fill that hole, by expanding your own love and allowing his love to bloom and grow in the sunshine that comes from your happiness. You can never replace that love, that is impossible, it is unique as a snowflake and just as beautiful. Never make the death more important than the life of that precious little one, that can never be, his life is an important, precious part of your life and should never bring you pain for overlong. Though the past is set in stone and the future not yours to see, anchor yourself in the present and allow the love he is sending your way to bring comfort rather than pain. Love is spiritual, so eternal. "Death cannot take that which never dies", your love for each other is forever. He lives on through you now, forever as close as your thoughts and prayers.
It takes a lot to overcome the burden of grief, you are stronger than you think, and will be stronger yet when you begin to embrace the good memories rather than concentrating on the pain. Embrace life like you would want for him if you were the first to go, he wants the same because that is love. Slowly chase the dark clouds from your life and let the goodness, the wonder, the beauty of living life as it is meant to be lived, and allowing it to enter your world once more. That includes letting love in your soul once more too, to pay tribute to that boy's life because he taught you what love is about. It would add on to what will always be there and bring happiness to a grieving heart.
My heart breaks for what you are going through, though each love is personal and can never be felt the same by anyone else, I have suffered the loss of a soulmate and have stood in your shoes, my thoughts and prayers are with you both. You are not alone in your sorrow........RIP beautiful Homer. You are now reunited with your Hermes, and together will be held tenderly in the arm of angels. you will never be forgotten, you both will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you both, until you meet the one who misses you so very much once again!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your special little friend, it sounds like he had a wonderful life with you and a long one too. But no matter how long we are together it never seems long enough, does it? But he is fine now, just fine, and yes you will see each other again someday.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.......:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute. Homer had a long happy life full of love. He's in good company at the bridge reunited with Hermes. RIP special little guy Homer. :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Homer, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

This is the deepest Truth that I know...love does not die, it only changes form and continues on, still Love. Homer's love for you, translated and purified into Love, he sends back to you, where it will be until you meet again. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.