Homeopet Feline Skin & Itch Cat Supplement?

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has anyone used this before?

Background is that my 15 year old cat, Jasmine, likes to lick the fur off of her abdomen and legs. She has been to the vet for it twice now, with clear bloodwork, and we are currently doing an elimination diet, steroid shots, and a flea preventative as a way to manage and hopefully prevent in the future. She has had one lapse in the past month where she was fine one day and bald next.

Right now she gets a fish oil supplement, and I was wondering about adding this product as well.

Here is the description/ingredients:

Description
Get your cat a reason to purr with the HomeoPet Feline Skin & Itch Cat Supplement. Working to detoxify the skin from the inside out, this homeopathic liquid provides temporary relief to constant itching, scratching, gnawing, and hair loss caused by allergies. Drawing on hundreds of years of natural medicine therapy, the all-natural formula uses only the purest, chemical-free homeopathic ingredients that cause zero known side effects. Easily administer by mouth or food or water—your itchy pet will thank you, and you’ll love his luxurious skin and coat!

Key Benefits
  • Homeopathic drops promote temporary relief for cats suffering from seasonal allergies and skin allergies.
  • Detoxifies the skin and improves the coat while relieving constant itching, scratching, gnawing, hair loss, and bald belly.
  • Chemical-free formula uses the best all-natural, pure ingredients based on years of research, and causes no known side effects.
  • Non-sedating and safe for all cats including kittens, pregnant, and nursing cats. Easily administer by mouth or through food or water.
  • Fast-acting and clinically-proven liquid drops are made in the USA and registered with the FDA.

Ingredients

Apis Mellifica, Cantharis, Dolichos, Mezereum, Rhus Toxicodendron, Urtica Urens, Arsenicum Album, Sulphur, Caladium Seguinum, Culex Musca, Lachesis, Pulex Irritans, Sepia, Staphysagria, Hyoscyamus.

HomeoPet Feline Skin & Itch Cat Supplement, 450 drops

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has she had this issue her entire life, or is this something fairly new? Have you SEEN fleas on her? This definitely sounds like a food issue, and with an elimination diet, it takes time :sigh:

As far as that product, most advertising makes things sound great, but do they work? Who knows? I read some reviews about it on Amazon, and they were mixed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She had fleas last summer, and just developed symptoms about September. We took her to the vet then for hair loss and vomiting. Since then we have taken her off chicken, turkey, eggs, and continued with no grains. She is now on a diet of fish as she has stopped vomiting, with the hope of moving her to another protein later. We are pretty sure venison is okay but beef, rabbit, and lamb are iffy.

The flea meds are a preventative as she has shown allergic reactions to fleas before and we are trying to eliminate a possible flareup.

She's had two steroid shots since then as she was doing fine and then in February licked herself bald again.

I will say I think homeopathic remedies can be a good compliment (not a replacement) to modern medicine. So just trying to give her every advantage until we get everything sorted food wise.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Fish :eek2:!! I must say that's a first for an elimination diet. That's one ingredient that is on the list of common allergens. BUT, if it's keeping her from throwing up,then that's something, I guess. Rabbit, and venison are the usual foods, sometimes duck that are usually tried, I thought. Besides no grains, no soy either, right?

What about stress? That can also play a huge part in them licking themselves like this. Has anything changed in her environment...indoors or out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It was something we had avoided all her life and at the time was the only protein I could afford when we started this. Hours were cut a lot before the holidays and I am still trying to get back on top :( Duck is also one that we are not sure of right now. I haven't been specifically avoiding soy but I just checked her foods and they don't contain any.

I do have a toddler and I have considered that maybe he has been stressing her out, but she seeks him out and lays with him, so I don't think that's it. Otherwise there have been no changes in the home, no new cleaners, detergents, etc. I am pretty sure it is food related; I just want to do everything I can to help her.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone used this before?

Background is that my 15 year old cat, Jasmine, likes to lick the fur off of her abdomen and legs. She has been to the vet for it twice now, with clear bloodwork, and we are currently doing an elimination diet, steroid shots, and a flea preventative as a way to manage and hopefully prevent in the future. She has had one lapse in the past month where she was fine one day and bald next.

Right now she gets a fish oil supplement, and I was wondering about adding this product as well.

Here is the description/ingredients:
Description
Get your cat a reason to purr with the HomeoPet Feline Skin & Itch Cat Supplement. Working to detoxify the skin from the inside out, this homeopathic liquid provides temporary relief to constant itching, scratching, gnawing, and hair loss caused by allergies. Drawing on hundreds of years of natural medicine therapy, the all-natural formula uses only the purest, chemical-free homeopathic ingredients that cause zero known side effects. Easily administer by mouth or food or water—your itchy pet will thank you, and you’ll love his luxurious skin and coat!

Key Benefits
  • Homeopathic drops promote temporary relief for cats suffering from seasonal allergies and skin allergies.
  • Detoxifies the skin and improves the coat while relieving constant itching, scratching, gnawing, hair loss, and bald belly.
  • Chemical-free formula uses the best all-natural, pure ingredients based on years of research, and causes no known side effects.
  • Non-sedating and safe for all cats including kittens, pregnant, and nursing cats. Easily administer by mouth or through food or water.
  • Fast-acting and clinically-proven liquid drops are made in the USA and registered with the FDA.
Ingredients
Apis Mellifica, Cantharis, Dolichos, Mezereum, Rhus Toxicodendron, Urtica Urens, Arsenicum Album, Sulphur, Caladium Seguinum, Culex Musca, Lachesis, Pulex Irritans, Sepia, Staphysagria, Hyoscyamus.

HomeoPet Feline Skin & Itch Cat Supplement, 450 drops
I will preface my reply by writing that I am a human doctor, not a vet.

This medication cannot help your cat. Beware of any medication that "uses only natural ingredients". In this case its long list of 15 ingredients makes it very much more likely that an allergic reaction can occur.

I would also never place any credibility on such non-scientific gobble-de-gook as: "Working to detoxify the skin from the inside out...." or "Drawing on hundreds of years of natural medicine therapy...."

Homeopathy is a type of pseudo-scientific treatment that has never, on multiple carefully controlled trials, ever been shewn to have anything but a placebo effect on disease. This particular homeopathic treatment has all the hallmarks of Quackery and should be avoided!

My advice is to not to try and treat your cat's complex condition yourself, but to continue to rely on your vet for management.

With all best wishes to you - and your cat,
Geoffrey