Homemade Sheltered Feeding Station

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I made this sheltered feeding station for the strays and ferals we feed, and it is working out SO well! I will be making more of them, I am sure! I cut the lid with an Exacto Knife and a heavy duty scissors. I tied the 1/2 lid to the sides of the tub, with holes I made and used re-cycled plastic "twine". Those heavy duty Cable Ties would work well too, I believe! Another poster (sorry can't remember the name--but THANKS!!) said to use that non-skid liner on the bottom of it, so the bowls don't slide around. I put two bricks inside at the back to keep it from blowing away in the winter winds. My kitty Missy, is checking it out inside our house, and gave it a 4 star rating! haha

I'm including a picture and hope it links properly! I posted this before TSC was down, and didn't see this post listed now. I figure with winter here, it would be good for a LOT of stray and feral kitties in other towns!

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow how thoughtful of you!

Is there any way of making the hole smaller? You want the cat to have shelter while they're eating right? What if you were to put the box totally up-side-down and cut a hole out of a corner and put the food in that? then they would be covered on all sides...I dunno, just a thought.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That IS a great idea... thanks for taking care of the pets that need help getting food and shelter!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would do the same, but there are no feral cats in this area

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually did think of leaving just a hole-type opening in the feeding station, but the kitties at the abandoned grainmill and the abandoned lot, close by there, are VERY skittish, and very likely, would not feel safe getting in there to eat and not be able to see what is going on around them. I do have several places that are covered and/or protected from the rain and snow up at the grainmill and have put sections of old woolen jackets, sweaters and a lapquilt(woolen) up there to keep them a bit warmer. I also made newspaper kitty "cushions". You just take sections of newspapers and fold them lengthwise and "weave" them into a square shaped cushion. I use packaging tape (the wide tape) and that holds the edges together. Then, I put a thick layer of plastic on the underside and those go under the grainmill. It is dry under there, and the kitties do go under there every day. So now they have kitty cushions to rest on, when they are there! (My husband just giggles at me!!
) When they get eventually unuseable, I will make some more. Not only do they make the kitties more comfy, but I am recycling newspapers for a VERY good reason!!
I AM going to make some little sleeping shelters with those same type of Rubbermaid tubs. Just cut a hole in the one lower side of the lid, and set it on it' s side. I have styrofoam sheets (builder's insulation styrofoam sheets) and will put those at the bottom and put newspaper on top of that. Now I think, since where I would be putting them are in a VERY protected place under a barn outbuilding that they WILL use them for winter protection. The reason I could not put the food shelter under that same place is that it is NOT an easy place to get things in/out of. For a winter shelter, that would be fine, as I'm not going to have to be moving it in/out of there on a daily basis, like I will, with the sheltered food station. Mainly, the reason I put the 1/2 lid on that food station, is to protect the food from rain/snow, at the place I did end up placing it.
Thanks though, as the idea about having just the small opening is a VERY good one!!!

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG!!! It was SO funny today! I went up to feed all the kitties and my first stop was the abandoned lot where usually only about 4-5 cats visit (the grainmill has about 40 cats there right now--and we're steadily working at spaying/neutering finding homes or re-releasing them , if they are too feral.)
Anyway, as my car pulled up to the abandoned lot, I could see the sheltered feeding station from the road, and I thought, "WHAT THE HECK IS IN THERE"??!!!

I got out of the car with warm food and water in hand and walked over and there were 3 kitties sitting in there WAITING for me to "serve supper" at their new little "Cafe"
As I was putting the food out, this one little calico kitty was SO happy, that she walked out and began rolling on the ground next to me and PURRING so loudly too!!!

It cracked me up--but made me feel good too, as I KNOW they got a warm meal and warm water and a full tummy!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Missy&SpikesMom

there were 3 kitties sitting in there WAITING for me to "serve supper" at their new little "Cafe"
As I was putting the food out, this one little calico kitty was SO happy, that she walked out and began rolling on the ground next to me and PURRING so loudly too!!!

It cracked me up--but made me feel good too, as I KNOW they got a warm meal and warm water and a full tummy!
that is awesome!!! I like how you said 'their new little cafe'

well done!! I bet it did make you feel all good inside!!
well done!!!

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful that you do that for the kitties!!! Lucky felines to have you around

mrsd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's one thing to care, it's another thing to act.

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just bumping this picture up, to show the sheltered feeding station, so if anyone is looking for a workable idea--this is it!!!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
How absolutely wonderful! It's so kind of you to think of these cats and do something about it too!

I am moving this thread to the feral care forum.

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks you guys!! I bought some big Rubbermaid tubs at the store the other day to make some enclosed kitty bed/shelters and walked RIGHT out of the store without them (after paying!!!! --YIKES!!!
)
I called them and they knew who I was, and they are keeping them for me, until I get back there. I will cut a hole in the lower right corner for the entrance and line it with styrofoam sheeting on the bottom of it. Then top it first, with newspaper and then with straw or soft wool, that I can remove as SOON as it gets the slightest bit damp. But the place it will be is in a protected dry place, so the linings inside SHOULD stay dry, longer.... MEANWHILE, I got a cardboard box, did the same thing I am going to do with the Rubbermaid tubs, and placed IT under the barn building tonight. So, at least they will have a warm place to go, until I get my tubs back--and HOPEFULLY my brain too!!!!

MEANWHILE, the feral and stray kitties are thoroughly enjoying the new sheltered feeder--and are NOT scared at ALL of it now!!! YAY!!!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Missy&SpikesMom

MEANWHILE, the feral and stray kitties are thoroughly enjoying the new sheltered feeder--and are NOT scared at ALL of it now!!! YAY!!!
what wonderful news

I have said it to you before and I will say it again - what a wonderful thing you are doing for these precious cats

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww... THANKS, Huggles!

That is so nice of you!

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH....Those "DURN" farmers at the abandoned grainmill we have in town... It is actually, not ALL the way abandoned, as they don't SELL grain from there, but the farmers still do dry grain there at this time of year. They do NOT like the cats (--OH WELL!!!!!!!!!
)
They don't hurt them but they could care LESS if they are fed OR cold and miserable.
So, they are always throwing these 4-sided, oblong 5 gallon buckets around up there and leaving them. I brought them into an "Overhang" protected area at one of the buildings up there. --No door, just a roof and 2 sidewalls....
I laid the buckets, side by side, over a long layer of styrofoam insulation sheets. Then, I lined the bottom of them with several sections of newspaper, and topped it with some heavy wool material. ( I had washed this wool in VERY hot water, then dried it in the dryer, so it was like a "boiled wool"--almost carpet-like consistency, after washing it this way!) The buckets are faced away from the front area, where the wind blows in. So this gives them a bit more protection!
I checked and they ARE using them, and I know they are at least a bit warmer, as it is SOOOOOOOO cold here!!! --Oh I LOVE my little stray and feral kitties!!!!

--Just thought I'd pass this idea along to those who might be able to do something similar, if they needed to!