Homemade Sheltered Feeding Station

gargoyle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Excellent way to recycle the buckets and make a comfortable winter spot for your ferals! It must be good if the cats are using it

(BTW, you "felted" the wool, as per some knitting bits I have read)

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Missy&SpikesMom-

I remember this thread before the crash, too! Glad to see it's back!

How many feral/stray kitties are you caring for? Are they spay/neutered?

I read once that newspaper draws heat away from the cat sitting on it, but if you've got a thick layer of straw on top of that, it might be ok.

These cats are very lucky to have someone who is taking the time and effort to make sure they're as warm and protected as possible. Thanks so much for all you do!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are about 30 cats up there at the GrainMill (and we have spayed/neutered most of the older ones --and some of the younger ones, (which we trapped this summer/fall). Then Heather and Cheryl (who run www.katsnkittens.com) have about 100 cats between their two houses!!!! Heather has about 90 in a large area with cages and running/playing areas, and also a isolation area, for the new cats/kittens dropped off, and for if a cat is very ill, and is contagious. Cheryl has 10 cats at her house(mostly kittens and very young cats){and then also has 10 of her OWN, inside her home!) For those boxes and 5 gallon buckets, that have newspapers in them, they all have large sections of "Felted Wool" {thanks Gargoyle!!!
) on top of that so they can cuddle into the wool, (and styrofoam sheets, cut to size on the underside). The shelters are ALL in protected areas, from the weather, but the areas are not heated--only dry... SO, these shelters are being used to keep the kitties as warm as possible in an area with no heat...
I was up there tonight, and added another bucket with all of the liner stuff, listed above. I hope they are happy when they see another one up there for them!

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
BUMPITY BUMPING this up, so anyone who needs the info can use it right now, with all the snow and/or rain, this thing works GREAT for the kitties!!!!

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Wellington!!

It was SO funny tonight! I went up there and there is this HUGE gray tiger cat flopped out FULL length of it and would NOT let this really, really pretty beige long-furred cat in with him!! They were BOTH mad at each other, but the beige one finally gave up and sat about 3 feet away, until the gray tiger had fully made his "point" that the feeding station was HIS!!! haha

THEN, he slowly and deliberately walked away, and the beige one FINALLY got his turn in the feeding station!