Homemade cat food for renal failure

brittpatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I'm wanting to make homemade cat food for my cat with kidney disease but she hates everything I make. Today I tried basmanti rice with chicken ground in a blender and added her omega 3 supplement to it. She ate a small amount but didn't seem to dig it. Has anyone else had any luck?

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Felines are obligate carnivores, they are not built or able to digest grains or plantmatter. Digesting these things (or attempting to) takes a lot of pressure for a cat's stomach, and is incredibly harmful. Especially for cats not in peak health. Here are two very informative; scientific pages to read through for information.. [1] - [2]
Are you slowly transitioning? And what protein are you using? Those are the two most common things...
Best of luck, as well. :hyper: I applaud you for attempting homemade, don't get discouraged!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rice, chicken, and an omega supplement isn't a proper diet for any cat. With a disease like kidney disease, you need to be extra careful with any kind of home made diet to avoid making the disease worse.

Have you seen the Feline CRF web site? Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat There's a section there about food and commercial brands you can feed.

I found these old threads here on TCS about diets for cats with kidney disease:

Home cooked for CRF kitty

Need home cooked (no raw) recipes for geriatric cats with kidney failure

It would be best to discuss with the vet first if you want to feed a home cooked diet so you're all on the same page and can treat the disease as best as possible. A veterinary nutritionist may also be helpful and could suggest a particular recipe.

Some companies do custom made diets for pets with various issues. Diets are created with a staff veterinary nutritionist. That may be something to look into.

VNC putting your pet's health first .. for more than 20 yrs! | PetDiets

BalanceIT.com

MissTuna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, chicken and rice is actually a classic recipe for cats with CKD per kits nutritionist, as rice helps as a binder as well as cutting the phos level. My cat has been eating that recipe for years since first diagnosed with CKD and have been in great shape. Also, she still has that victory raw diet poop even tho I feed everything cooked. Below is my answer to another similar question with my personal recipe.
Need CKD recipe