Homemade Broth?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anyone make homemade broth for their cats. Do I just boil chicken and give them the water used? Cooled of course

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anyone make homemade broth for their cats. Do I just boil chicken and give them the water used? Cooled of course
I take a whole chicken and put it in the crock pot with enough water to cover. I cook it about 24 hours on low and the broth you get is dark and rich. They love it. You could use a pressure cooker to cut the time down. You could also just boil it and give them that but IMO, the slow cooked version cannot be beat. It freezes perfectly too. You could freeze it in ice cube trays to portion it out. Mine like it warm.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Regular broth or bone broth? The cooking liquid from poached chicken can be given. Just use plain water and nothing else to poach the meat in.

For bone broth, there are various recipes. I'd stay away from those that contain veggies, herbs, spices, etc.

Question Re: Making Bone Broth In Crock Pot For Sick Kitties
i Need instructions on how to make broth for cats...very simple instructions
What Other Liquids Are Ok For Cats?

You can find bone broth in pet stores now: Broth Some canned and pouched foods contain bone broth instead of gravy or sauce.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I dont have enough bones now. Does it have to be fresh chicken? I think the frozen has added broth.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I dont have enough bones now. Does it have to be fresh chicken? I think the frozen has added broth.
The kind with the added solution? Some fresh chicken brands have it too. You just need to check the label

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This ...

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, I'd use plain chicken. They don't tell you what's in the chicken broth powder. There may be onion, garlic or other spices that could upset a cat's stomach

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ya I will get some fresh.