Home-style pregnancy test...Do Queens have a positive test?

abi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello: I'm a new member and wanted to introduce myself. I breed Somalis.
In the past it was difficult to tell if some of the wanna-be mothers were truely bred at 3 weeks. It was not until ultra-sound imaging was done that pregnancy was confirmed.
I was wondering if the standard drug-store (human) urine pregnancy test would detect cat beta-HCG? BetaHCG is highly conserved (similar in many species). Does anyone have any experience with this?

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry Abi, I'm not that scientific. I use the good old fashioned 'pinking up' test. Somewhere around 3-4 gestation the queens nipples take on a rose colour. Couple that with a little morning sickness at the beginning and they are usually pregnant.
The 'pinking up' thing can be misleading at times as I once didn't notice my tom cat had crawled onto my lap and thought, " oh good, she's pregnant!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Harriet:
I have two Queens who are sisters. I just bred one and am watching for the signs you mentioned, I guess I will obtain urine from each of them and perform the experiment. If the bred one doesn't go into heat, I'll take her for the usual U/S. Regardless of the result, I will post it on this forum.
Abi

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Well, that would be interesting to know.

abi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I put the question out to some of the vets at Yale (where I work)hopefully, I'll have an answer soon. I might also contact someone I know at VHUP who specializes in Aby and Mollie genetics.

My bred kitty has alittle morning sickness and hasn't gone into heat yet.

abi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thus far, a vet at Yale U told me that the human pregnancy test will not work on a pregnant queen because "the hormone spikes are different". I am still looking into this because I am not sure if it is a matter of timing when the test is done vs incompatibility. Abi

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know, I asked the vet I work with the same question. He said if they came out with a pregnancy test that would test for another hormone it would work. He said for now, that the hormone human tests look for are not seen in felines. I wish I had written down the hormone he was talking about.

abi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sandie:
I wonder if it's feline choriogonadotrophin? I let you know when I find more info.