Home Alone

SaraBeth88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have 2 kittens who are about 8 weeks now, at what age should I give them free range of the house when I'm gone? By house I mean a 1 story, 1 bed 1 bath. Usually they either go in my (large, kitten proofed) bedroom or we have a big portable dog pen because I'm afraid they will hurt themselves but they are getting so rambunctious already I don't want them to feel caged in. Should I just leave the exploration to when my husband and I are home? We have different work schedules so they usually aren't alone more than 5 or 6 hours.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm on agreement with above. They are still very small and mischievous and could get themselves into trouble. Leave them have free access when one of you is there to watch them. At that age they will sleep a lot so should not mind being restricted to one safe room.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could enrich the room for them with a few cardboard boxes with holes cut in for them to go through, if you haven't done stuff like the for them already. When I was restricting mine to a room, when small, I tried to change it little each day to keep it exciting for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SaraBeth88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yea, they have their box and their kitty crate (I keep it out for them to play in so its not scary when we go places with it) and a short cat tree with all their toys, plus they have free roam of the bed since it's on the floor lol, maybe I'm just paranoid they aren't living their best life haha

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't remember exactly how old my girls were when we gave them free reign. But they were about 10/11 weeks old when we brought them home. We put them in the spare bathroom the first night; and in the morning they were in the living room checking out the fish tank...they'd fit UNDER the door! I used to double stack baby gates to keep them in the back hall when I couldn't watch them. I had to angle the top one in because they'd climb them. :rolleyes: So yeah; it was difficult to figure out how to keep them safe!

Eventually we got a large dog crate they stayed in. They were probably at least 5-6 months before they didn't need it. I don't remember exactly now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SaraBeth88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep we have the same thing! Glad to know others do the same thing, I felt bad, but they have all their toys when they are in there plus each other and the necessities