Holistic select and Blue Buffalo wilderness

space1101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are Hoilistic select and Blue Buffalo Wilderness good canned food?

Blue buffalo Wilderness

Chicken, Chicken Broth, PotatoesGuar GumDicalcium PhosphateCholine Chloride,Flaxseed Meal  (Natural Source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), SaltCarageenan, Cassia Gum,Potassium ChlorideTaurineVitamin A SupplementThiamine Mononitrate  (Vitamin B1),Riboflavin  (Vitamin B2), Niacin  (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate  (Vitamin B5),Pyridoxine Hydrochloride  (Vitamin B6), Biotin  (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid  (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 SupplementVitamin D3 SupplementVitamin E SupplementIron Amino Acid Chelate,Zinc Amino Acid ChelateCopper Amino Acid ChelateManganese Amino Acid Chelate,Sodium SeleniteCalcium Iodate  .

Holistic select

Ingredients  - Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Lamb, Rolled Oats, Dried Egg Product, Carrots, Peas, Potatoes, Guar Gum, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Tricalcium Phosphate, Flaxseed, Cranberry Powder, Dried Kelp, Vitamins [Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, d–Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin], Minerals [Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite], Choline Chloride, Taurine, Carrageenan, Yucca Schidigera Extract

Would you be bothered by the recall of Blue Buffalo in 2007?  

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both are pretty much equivalent - potatoes in the BB and rolled oats in the HS are questionable; I'm wary of the salt in the BB but I like that the HS has liver in it as well.  Do you have the guaranteed analyses of these foods?  I feed the HS to my CRF cat but it's like, number 4 in the rotation of 6 different foods (in terms of his preference). 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

space1101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Holistic select

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 8.5%
Crude Fat (min) 6.5%
Crude Fiber (max) 1.0%
Moisture (max) 78.0%
Ash (max) 2.0%
Magnesium (max) 0.028%
Taurine (min) 0.05%

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]BB[/font]

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein10.0% min
Crude Fat9.0% min
Crude Fiber1.5% max
Moisture78.0% max
Ash2.5% max

You feed HS to your CRF cat, does that mean it has low protain and phosphorus?  What are the number 1-3 of your rotations?

I'm also concerned about the oat in HS.  I don't know if oat is bad for cat. Does it have any nutritional value for cat?

Does BB have too much guar gum?  

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of those have good ingredients IMO.   The only wet food that Wesley and Buttercup both refused to eat is Blue Wilderness wet though, which is fine by me as that stuff is far too expensive IMO.   So buy a small one and taste test it first, as that may answer your question more than ingredients.   And nothing against Blue, we feed Blue Wilderness as their only dry food and they eat it all. 

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats cannot digest carbs.efficiently so I'm not sure why HS includes oats.many canned foods contain guar gum or carageenan gum - I can't remember the.reason.

HS is lower in protein - I didn't check the phosphorus because my CRF cat is so picky so I am forced to rotate every can. Some foods have to be fed far apart for him to eat it. With crf, it's a balance.between the right food or getting a cat to eat. The rotation usually goes like this:

1. Wellness turkey or chicken
2. Weruva chicken - various chicken varieties
3. Almo Nature - tuna and cheese
4 HS turkey and lamb or chicken and duck or salmon and shrimp
5. Hills k/d
6. Hills g/d
7. Medi-cal mature

The first three are not suitable for crf but if he refuses to eat, I have to offer what he will eat. I try to offer the suitable ones more bit he wont eat them often. I don't like feeding him the rx foods but again he has to eat.

The first.three are also expensive but imo they are good brands. Almo nature is not complete so you have to feed it with a.food that is. I like HS too. I used to feed my dog HS. If it were me, I would go with HS. If you are feeding canned, you could rotate both. You don't have to transition to another flavour or brand for the most part (depends on the cat). I rotate my other cat's foods so he gets a a variety - to ensure he is getting all the..nutrients he needs and to avoid any allergies or intolerances (theoretically, the more exposure to different proteins the less chance of allergies- whether it's true I guess I will find out). His rotation includes:

Nature's Variety Instinct: lamb, rabbit, duck, venison
Nature's Variety Homestyle Stews: turkey, lamb, duck
Weruva: various chicken flavours, some fish favours ( once a week)
Almo Nature: chicken breast, drumsticks, mixed seafood, tuna salmon (once a week)
Wellness Core
Go! (Occasionally as he doesn't.go nuts.over.it)

All of the above are expensive (my cats have expensive taste). There is also Taste of the Wild which is more reasonable in price and probably the same quality as BB wilderness.

I hope I'm not confusing you - I know you asked about two foods. Maybe it would help if we knew why you are choosing between HS and BB?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

space1101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For your CRF cat, I don't know if you would consider Organix as well since it seems to have low phosphorus and protein.  (I don't know much about CRF though, their diet probably can get more complicated than I think.)

The local store instroduced HS and BB to me, and I was wondering if they are good.  I'm still trying to figure out which canned food are good so I can add to his rotation.  I still don't have a clear picture of what is best for my cat.  Here is the list of the food I bought:

Nature' Variety Instince: Lamb and Rabbit  (He likes a lot)

Nature's Logic: chicken and rabbit  (he likes, but not as much as NV)

Innova kitten/adult  (He likes)

Natural balance: indoor, chicken, ultra, duck (he doesn't like indoor and duck)

California natural venison (he likes)

Chicken soup for cat lover  (he likes)

By nature organic (he likes, but I probably won't feed this brand until By nature is clear on their label)

Evo 95% (he doesn't like)

organix (he likes)

He is allergic to wellness.

I'm not sure what is the best so I just randomly pick a brand for every meal. I'm not sure if it is good to feed so many brands.  He also gets commercial raw.  

And now the local store recommended HS and BB,  I thought I should come up here and ask for opinions before I buy. 

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion of Organix.  I'll look into it.

I would go with either as they are pretty much the same in terms of quality. If your cat can handle all the different brands, I don't see a problem with rotating several brands.  LikeI said, it may prevent intolerances and it will ensure that your cat is getting all the necessary nutrients. 

CRF is complicated but the thing with cats with CRF is that they usually don't like the rx foods so they need alternatives.  My Schweppie knows how to get what he wants too.  Little bugger.  The rotation can't be that bad because his values were lower when they were last checked (end of september). 

It looks like you have a good arsenal of foods that you don't even need to add another one but it wouldn't hurt to try if you wanted to.  I have tried some of the brands you listed wiht Schweppie but he doesn't like them. Even Evo which is probably not the best but I thought it would be tasty for him.