Holiday Vaca Conundrum - Bring them or leave home?

*ThorsMom*

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are going out of town for 4 days for the upcoming holiday and are torn about what to do with our cats.

As of right now, we may have someone able to check on them/feed them once a day but not necessarily hang out with them for company. And this is a big MAY. It could very likely fall through or they aren’t able to make it every day.

They have never gone on vacation/stayed other places but we will be staying with family that has a guest room we can keep them in while there. Would leaving them home by themselves or bringing them with us be better for them?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know their temperament but if I was at all unsure of the caregiver showing or they were not going to give some company, I would take my cats with me. I have traveled with a lot of kitties and each one deals with it differently but I also evacuated from a storm and took 16 on a very long drive and stayed over a week. Every single one of them did just fine. I never leave my cats unattended overnight. I would worry too much and be unable to enjoy the trip. I have boarded one with a trusted vet but I knew the vet extremely well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

*ThorsMom*

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We’d usually have our roommate but of course they’ll be away as well. They’re semi scaredy-cats so I’m just hoping I don’t stress them out too much because we’ll be too far away to just drive home. :/

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you should try a “dry run.” A car ride to see how they do over an hour maybe? If it’s too bad you might want to talk to your vet about calming products to use on the drive. My cats were nervous at first but they settled. I do have one who tends to meow for awhile but I found that talking to her calmed her down. Sometimes it also helps to cover their carrier with a light towel. It makes them less stressed. Be sure to take some baby wipes and maybe paper towels in case of an unplanned poop. A garbage bag too. Make sure their carrier is sturdy and securely fastened. If you do need to stop for a cleanup, Do it with the car doors closed! I have only ever had 1 cat that didn’t “hold it” until we reached our destination. Thank goodness. :lol: If your carrier is big enough you can put a small
plastic container in it with litter. I get them from the dollar store here and they come with a lid so it is easily closed up if used.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
My cats have always traveled with me... The first time was noisy but each time after they shushed after 15 minutes of driving..I put 2 of them in the same cage-I got this huge dog crate plastic pet carrier that's 3 feet long or longer and they soothed themselves in the cage-my angel Pumps was much quieter with Bee in there with here even though Bee used to chase her all the time but it was just to play...

You can take a half an hour ride with them in the car once a week...soon they will get used to it..one of mine meows until I gave her treats then she would paw me for treats while driving... I would bring them...

Menzies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Depends on the cat. I've taken 2 cats with me when I've visited the parents (a 500km drive), where we stay in the flat with attached garage. Pounce meows nearly the whole way (she hates being in a cage). Snuffles always messes himself, so I have to stop & change the absorbent pad in his cage after a relatively short distance. After that he curls up and goes to sleep. They hid for a while the first time, but now they've been there a few times they see it as their home away from home. Being able to go mouse hunting in the garage probably contributed to them liking the place. 😁
On the other hand, I don't think my three youngest, who are still very frightened of strangers - especially Menzies, who can be a bit skittish, would handle it at all well.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For four days I definitely would not bring my cats unless I knew that they loved traveling and got comfortable in new places much quicker than the average cat. Being in a new place around a lot of new people is generally stressful for cats (of course there are always exceptions!), and while they’re likely to be a bit more bored while you’re gone, having multiple cats means at least they’ll have each other for company.

I think we project our worry onto our cats about them being home alone and bored/missing us, but often the stress of traveling can outweigh the boredom of being home from the cat’s point of view.

If I were in your position I would find either a trusted friend to come by every day and feed the cats and spend time playing/hanging out with them, or I would ask friends/family/local pet stores if they know any trusted cat sitters in the area. I have in the past also used Rover to find a cat sitter, I found someone with very good references who was willing to come do a trial run before I went out of town and it worked out well. Your vet may also be able to recommend someone - we have a few local dog walking services that also do catsitting that my vet has contact info for.

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know everyone says not to board, but...

With all my cats we've had, they were/are boarded with our vet for vacation. We take a long vacation every couple years (9 nights) and it's for the best. We go to places you can't or shouldn't bring pets.

They usually settle in after first day and all have done well. Especially great when they are on meds, as you can trust vet to give to them. Also, someone is with them at all times. I feel better knowing they are safe.
Is it great fun for them to be in a cage for 9 nights? No, but the vet techs take them out to play with. Our little guy (who just passed :() was apparently a favorite that the vet tech would just hold.

:)

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t take my cats with me when I travel. I have a pet sitter come twice a day for my adult three. When they were younger I had the pet sitter use a timed feeder for a midday meal. I have recently adopted two that have vision problems. When I go out of town this weekend I’m leaving those two at the vets and the others with the sitter. I’m not comfortable leaving all 5 with the sitter yet. I hope that will work in the future but we shall see.