Holes on my cats back

MarijaM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I can really use some opinions 😔 my cat had some wound on the lower back near the tail 3 weeks ago.. the vet told me to clen that area with betadine and it should be good. After few days she was better stil heavy walking but no slimy wounds..week ago 2 huge lumps appeared on her back, she managed to open them by herself 4 days age , they were full with some slimy yellowish stinky puss and now she have 2 big holes on the back...yesterday i noticed while i was cleaning that ared one more little bit higher 😔😔😔
Any idea what can this be? Cant be that fly that grows under skin because we don't have them here (Macedonia) I have 5 more cats(1 old cat, her 3 little kittens and one another baby as well) and a dog? Can this be spreadable?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds more like abscesses. Cats get them when they fight. Has she been outside where something (another cat) could have bitten her? A cat bite that is deep injects bacteria deep into the muscle and abscesses form. if she is strictly indoors and they all get along, it could be allergies, but those usually don't start out as a lump, more like a raised red rash that turns into open sores. I have treated MANY abscesses and they are very painful until they burst, then drain, and should be encouraged to drain until they heal. You can do that by wiping it with a clean wet cloth. You can apply some human antibiotic that does NOT have pain relievers in it (toxic), or better yet get a cat wound spray online or at a local farm supply store. Apply it by soaking a rag with it, cats are usually afraid of the spraying sound. usually, when I see a cat that has a lump and it is bothering them I get an antibiotic from the vet and start giving it. it helps it to heal faster. If an abscess gets bad enough it can spread to the blood and get dangerous, life-threatening. Once they burst it is less so. They take a LONG time to heal completely. The best way to avoid them is to keep her inside, or in an outdoor enclosure. all the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MarijaM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was outside actually...thats how she got the wounds...gone for 4 days and came back injured..I was told that cats usually run away from their babies when its time to stop nursing them..
Ill try with meds the vet wasn't able to look at her so he just told me witch meds to take and how to dose them.. she is petrified of the spray I bought first so now I clean with betadine... Ill try with clean cloth..
Thank you soo much for your time and answer 😊

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is an abscess from a wound, maybe a bite wound. The dvm will take care of it, she needs antibiotics and to keep the wound clean etc., sometimes they need to put drains inside to keep the wound open so it drains, and it needs to be cleaned as well. You can apply sterile warm compresses on to help it drain and heal. Look up treatment of abscesses in cats.

Treating a Cat Abscess Effectively | Vetericyn