HOA demanding I stop feeding cats

milktea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always expected this time might come but today the HOA contacted me to stop leaving cat food on my porch and removing the cat house/shelter as well.

I became quite defensive and asked to see the rules regarding pets or animals. He referred me to the HOA website and was very rude/sarcastic to all my responses and questions.

We own our house but unfortunately live in a HOA community. Apparently there are no rules about feeding cats or items on the porch. The only rule is all pets must be on a leash. We told them multiple times that these are not our “pets”, and that they have been there since before I started feeding at the end of last year. They didn’t care and said I can feed my pets from the backyard. But again there is nothing in the rules about what goes on in the porch or stray animals.

They said these things will be added to the rules now that we brought it to their attention, but I know it takes time to add it legally and they cannot enforce it just yet. I was just amazed at how rude they became! I also told them I would be consulting an attorney regarding my rights and the rules, as well as looking into the county laws regarding feeding strays and what deems an animal a “pet”. (I vaguely looked into this before because I always feared this would happen!) I know some counties consider an animal your pet by providing food...

Does anyone have advice or tips for dealing with this issue? This guy does not care about animals at all so explaining will do no good. One of the cats I feed is pregnant right now and I worry about keeping her fed! I haven’t been able to trap her ever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milktea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this! Do you have a rescue or TNR group you can email/phone and see if they have any information or suggestions?
There is a TNR group in my city but they aren’t doing any trapping requests anymore and they don’t take in cats. I did email them asking if they know what the county laws are regarding feeding and the definition of a pet. In the worst case scenario I would have to stop leaving food on my porch if the HOA updates that in their rules. But I work until very late like 12am and would fully intend to leave out food for at least an hour before I go to sleep.

I don’t know of any rescue here that deals with ferals. These cats aren’t friendly and run away, hiss when trapped, etc. It’s a sad world for ferals!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do know how tough this is for you. Don’t give up! How do other members there feel about this? How do they feel about new rules being added at this late date? They could lose some of their rights and something they love. You can appeal to neighbors who love animals to help and those who don’t like having the rights taken away. Next it may be no travel trailers, no boats, no antique cars, no out of town cars parked overnight etc. etc. If enough people object, it will be hard for the HOA to change things. A lawyer is a great idea. If you benefit from tennis courts, swimming pools etc. maybe you can withdraw. Depends on the rules there. Adding new rules is easier to fight. You can appeal to groups that advocate for ferals to help too. I would suggest getting that kind of help ASAP. You may get help trapping or even relocating the colony. Check local ordinances. Depending on where you live, some protect ferals and some don’t. Try to feed them where it isn’t noticeable right away. You may have to move the food dishes away in steps but do it now. What might work is to tell that guy you intend to clear the cats from the area so it will never bother him again if he will cooperate. Best friends.org is a good site to search. Alley cat allies too. The Feral Cat coalition may still be active too. I have fought to save ferals too. Don’t give up! Be friendly, Always try to work with your opponents or at least appear to be doing so. Sometimes a peace offering helps. You attract more flies with honey than with vinegar if you get my meaning. Lol You are the only hope for those cats right now so try to find others who love animals to join you. There is strength in numbers. Look around the neighborhood and notice who owns pets. Make friends with them! Never give up! Please keep us updated. :salam::goldstar:Bravo for helping them! If you can get that mom before she delivers, the babiesmight get adopted. I caught socialized and got the colony here adopted for the most part. ( all ages of ferals!) The ones that did not get adopted remain as my babies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We crossed posts. My most wild and oldest feral , also the last to be caught, is now purring in my lap. There were 104 outside. None were left behind. Look for national groups and those just outside of where you live. Even other states may be willing to help. I caught all of these myself but you need to work on the guy to buy some time. Convince him you are going to solve any issues to help him to accomplish his desires about the cats. You want to HELP him and your community. ;) The truth is, the cats provide free pest control but I doubt he will understand that. Bestfriends has articles to explain the benefits of having the cats around if you can get the guy in a good mood.

milktea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We crossed posts. My most wild and oldest feral , also the last to be caught, is now purring in my lap. There were 104 outside. None were left behind. Look for national groups and those just outside of where you live. Even other states may be willing to help. I caught all of these myself but you need to work on the guy to buy some time. Convince him you are going to solve any issues to help him to accomplish his desires about the cats. You want to HELP him and your community. ;) The truth is, the cats provide free pest control but I doubt he will understand that. Bestfriends has articles to explain the benefits of having the cats around if you can get the guy in a good mood.
Thank you very much for all your advice!! I will try looking into all the names you mentioned tomorrow.

Honestly this guy is not cooperative or keen to animals. He is basically using the excuse that the food brings around other animals, and his insistence that all pets must be on a leash. There are like 30 stray cats running around from the other side of the wall... good luck to him trying to get rid of them. They were here before I fed and will still be here if I stop...

Our HOA is already super strict and there is no parking outside garage, no boats, no RVs, etc. I felt like they would eventually be focusing on me because other residents complain about dog poop on the sidewalks. But there are lots of animals running around. Raccoons, possums, stray animals, etc. There is only one owner I know who likes cats but the rest seem to dislike them. And the HOA board seems to use their power to approve things they want, ignore and deny what residents want (increased parking).

If I could find a rescue to take the cats that would be a dream. I’ve grown quite fond of the 3 that hang around... unfortunately I can’t bring them inside because I have 3 indoor cats of my own and those are a handful and expensive as it is.

milktea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
According to my state requirements, HOAs must first provide a notice of proposed rule change, then have a board hearing about it 28 days later.

At least the pregnant kitty will have had her babies by then. So I have some time. I’m really hoping he just gets over himself though!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand. Right now it’s hard too. That’s why I thought you might swing the focus with residents on the loss of more freedoms there and not specifically on the cats. The fact that others want more parking and aren’t getting it but that guy is spending his time by worrying about strays might get their attention off the cats and on to preventing more crazy rules? You don’t need to antagonize him but sometimes a little slight of hand works magic. A board might agree that time is better used elsewhere. If necessary, educating to understand that the cats actually reduce other creatures presence might be helpful. Feeding elsewhere, the other side of the wall, might help until you find an answer.
As to cost, the National Spay Alliance sometimes helps supplement Spay expenses. I got these spayed, neutered and socialized and then out of here. The cost for those was temporary. I already had resident cats too so I do understand. I isolated the others from mine during the process. I hope you can find assistance quickly. You have my greatest admiration for caring!

milktea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, feeding on the other side of the wall is actually a great idea if it comes down to it. It’s a little further from my house but outside the HOA so they can’t ever see it or make me remove it.

I had a family member talk to him on the phone and he threatened to call the humane society or animal control to have the cats removed. But at this time during the coronavirus when people are dying I can’t believe he is this petty and I don’t think anybody will bother to come out and have them removed. A local school has a coyote roaming around and animal control won’t do anything about that either. I doubt this is going to be a priority for home owners to get the rule implemented. I guess time will tell.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I live in fear of our HOA! Both because of the ferals outside and majorly breaking the 2 pet rule inside. Ugh.

I feel like I must have I missed something, but he said you could feed them in your backyard, right? Is there a reason this won’t work for you?

cat mom 8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I were told not to feed them on my porch, I'd move the food, water and their houses to the
back yard where people can't see them. If they can't see them, they won't complain nor will
the HOA.

In the mean time, if you have a humane society close, call and ask if they have a low cost spay
and neuter clinic. If they do ask if they would loan you some traps. Start making plans to trap
them so you don't keep having litters of kittens.

When the Momma kitty has her babies, you're going to have to socialize them so you can find
homes for them.

I know this is a lot of work because somebody was irresponsible and didn't spay. Good Luck

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He did say to feed them from the back yard so you could move the food and houses a few feet at a time each day until it's all out of sight in the back, that would give them time to get used to everything being in a different spot. But if this guy is really as petty and pathetic as you've described I suspect he'll find some other reason to nitpick about it. It's obvious he has no clue what he's talking about if he thinks the humane society is something to be called for this. Animal control maybe, but if they won't do anything about a Coyote at the local school, let alone 30 ferals on the other side of the wall behind your house, then they're probably not going to do anything about a couple feral Cats in your yard.

You mentioned contacting a lawyer and that is a good thing to in this situation as they would know more about local laws and what both you and the hoa can legally do. Other than that maybe lavishsqualor lavishsqualor has some ideas.

milktea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We received the violation letter today. They use the rules and verbiage of no “unsightly trash, storage bowls” and that the HOA can determine whatever goes on, remove any pets they want. etc. Our porch is clean and there is no rule against pet bowls and pet house otherwise. They say we have to correct it otherwise there will be some sort of penalty.

We cannot feed from the backyard for two reasons. Our husky is there and she is not cat friendly. The fence is also very high and I haven’t seen them go there. It’s actually not a backyard, it’s a small side patio. We don’t get real backyards with most of these newly built houses lol.

I would gladly feed down the street across the wall but it’s far from where the kitties sleep because they stay right near my house! I’m so sad. I don’t think they will see the food if I put it there and will think I’m starving them. Breaks my heart!! There are also lots of other cats there so they will probably eat the food instead? I’ve seen the pregnant tuxedo chase away most newcomers who try to eat from our food bowls, so this is like her territory and house.

I’ve tried trapping the pregnant one for 4 months but I could never get her. Since I live in the HOA community I could never leave traps around. I left them on my porch and tried the drop trap on my porch and she would avoid the porch when she sees it there.

Don’t know how many days I have to “correct” the violation and I have to work so I can’t stay home trapping. Can’t bring them inside. I tried contacting the city’s TNR group and they were no help at all. They don’t care... Just sad

cat mom 8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
People certainly can be jerks. It's not the fault of the cats, they are just trying to survive. I don't know if you read my post
about all the cats roaming around my house when I moved to the country. In the 15 years I've lived here, I've trapped
77 and taken them to be spayed or neutered. I've also been trapping cats at our local dump. So far, I've trapped 26.
I have a few thoughts regarding your problem. If you have a garage, you can leave the door open 6-7 inches and put
feeding stations in there. When I set traps, I do it in the evening. I use live traps and they are big enough for a Racoon.
I always cover the traps so when a cat does go into it, they won't be as stressed. I bait the traps with baby food. The
jars of chicken have the most scent to attract cats. I put a dollop on a folded paper towel and use a piece of wood to
place it in the traps. Just make sure you get the food past the foot plate which will close the door. If neither of the
suggestions work, you can relocate the bowls of food, but you'll have to do it a little at a time, moving them 20-25 feet
every few days until you get them to the location where the HOA won't complain. The cats will be able to smell the food
and will find it. Alley Cat Allies may be able to help you, too. www.alleycat.org
I don't know what state you live in, but you can also try calling Best Friends, in utah. They have no kill shelters in several
states. www.bestfriends.org
If neither of those organizations can't come to you, they may be able to put you in contact with someone who can. They
are both large networks with lots of contacts.

It really is sad that with all that is going on with COVID 19, you'd think people would have better things to do than complain
about some feral cats.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Try posting on the next door app about mom cat a d kittens that need help. I have rescue friends on next door that always respond. If you cannot find a rescue, what about sanctuaries? Keep trying to trap. Hide it in the bushes with some canned food,towels on the step in,blanket over it,even decorate with flower pots

milktea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the advice. I will look into the 3 sites you both mentioned.

Unfortunately I can’t leave anything in the bushes and I can’t leave my garage open. Someone will see traps in the bushes. The landscaping is very sparse and as you can see these people are not supportive. I can only try to trap on my day off. And with the Covid ALL of these neighbors are constantly at home walking back and forth in front of my house. At this point I’ve given up trying to catch the pregnant one because I tried every week and I caught every cat except her. If I see that she had babies I will try to rescue them to my local shelter. They will take the babies.

Anyway, for now I decided to continue feeding them for an hour when I get home every day. It will be midnight and the HOA is not going to see that. I wish I could leave out a water bowl but they won’t even allow that. I think I’m going to buy a small low profile garden fountain and put some potted plants... Make it look like I’m trying to be zen and at least the cats can drink out of the fountain!!

Last edited:

cat mom 8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there a rule with the HOA that you can't leave your garage door open 6-7 inches?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, contact a lawyer. Many of them will give a free consultation and if there's any way to fight the hoa on this they'd be able to tell you about it.