hit by car

cat lover1951

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a young calico hurt by a car. She is feral but still somewhat friendly. I took her to vet. They xrayed and said surgery would be 3000. I told them I didnot have the money and they said just let her be and she would learn to live with it. I need to know if she is in major pain and will it continue. I dont want to see her suffer, I already love her. Anyone shed anylight on this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat lover1951

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has a dislocated hip and just drags her let. She looks terrible, she is so skinny.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could remain lame for life and it will be painful to her to use her leg and walk for some time.
Could you just raise some money among friends and family?
Could you talk to the vets and see if they can give you a discount and/or a delayed payment?

cat lover1951

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 7 other cats I have rescued from the streets. I am stretched to the limit. It was 350 for me to take her to get nothing done except an xray and a pain shot. Unfortunately I dont have any family that could help and I have called everyone in my area to help with this. There is no compassion for these poor cats around here. It is only on tv. sorry I am so angry at the lack of help.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that vets in the US are really expensive, and this is so bad and sad when it comes to rescued pets.

You could still ask the vets to help you with a discount. If they already know you because of your other cats, they should know that you will pay eventually, and meanwhile you can raise some money or set up a fund raising page.

I'm so glad that vets over here are much more helpful and understanding when certain situations arise.

cat lover1951

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need to try to get her spayed as soon as possible, I just nuetered a male and I dont want him near her just yet. I keep her in a cat playpen safe from the other cats. I appreciate your advice, I am going to keep asking around. My main concern is if she is hurting too much and me keeping her is just letting her suffer. She does try to get around but I cant stand seeing her try so I keep her penned. thank you so much for your advice. This is the first time anyone has offered any meaningful words.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you google your area + cat rescue or something similar? Rescues may have vets they use who will work with you on this. You also might try Alley Cat Allies Feral Friends Network.
Feral Friends Network® Connect
Very good advice!
I'm not familiar with what possibilities are available in the US, so I couldn't help the OP like you did. Great 👍

cat lover1951

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called all the rescues, not one will take an injured feral. I emailed the alleycats, they would help me trap her, but not fix her. I had one animal place that last year I took 5 cats too that were sick and they were a no kill shelter, but because they all had fiv, they put them all down. I tried the humane society, they dont do anything but low cost spay nueter. They wont even take any cats in. I need to just keep trying. I just hope I am not needlessly letting her suffer.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for caring for this cat. Here are a few thoughts. First, I would imagine she is feeling some pain so can you ask the vet for pain medicine in some form (pill, liquid) that you can administer? I also would push the vet for more help as has been mentioned. If you have been a good client in the past, they should be more helpful now. They also might have some ideas for ways to pay for surgery or what else is needed. Or are there other vets in the area who might be more compassionate? Even if the rescues won't take this cat, maybe they can provide the names of the vets they use.

As far as money goes, you could set up a Go Fund Me page. I don't have personal experience with that, but I know they have worked well for others. Would one of your local TV stations or newspapers be helpful? Some local media outlets, especially TV stations, have a "problem solvers" person or someone who would do a story about this cat and this could be a way to get donations. And of course, think of whoever might be willing to help out financially such as your church, school, etc.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some clinics, if you surrender them, will do the surgery and adopt them out. But if she's feral, that might not be an option.
Furballsmom Furballsmom has a few links she posts sometimes in situations like this that might give you some options. Thank you for doing all you can to help her. ❤