Hissing

Charlie-pud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I am concerned about my cats hissing. He has been doing this on and off for a few months now. He has been seen by a vet a few times and all but one occasion they found nothing wrong. The one time they did it was his anal glands needed emptying.
The hissing did stop for a few weeks, but has started up again.

It seems to mostly occur when he is cleaning himself, especially his belly area.

I was wondering if anyone has any adivce or should I try the vets again?
Id rather not go vets unless necessary as my vet won't see many people unless emergency, given the lockdown.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Usually hissing occurs when the cat is trying to tell someone or another animal to stay back. So hissing when cleaning himself is a bit unusual. However, it could be a sign that he's in pain.

Here's an excerpt from 35 Signs That Your Cat May Be In Pain – TheCatSite Articles

18. Vocalizing when touched in a specific spot
Even if your cat doesn’t bite, she may issue a vocal sign of pain. It doesn’t have to be a hissing sound or a howl. A gentle meow may be enough to say “hey, this hurts!”​

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That was my thought, as well. A hiss when in pain is quite typical. I would get with your vet again, explain that this happens when grooming, mainly the belly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charlie-pud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They think him may have conspation and had it a while. They've recommended adding more water to his diet to his food for now, if that doesn't help hell have to have a lubricant medication to help him go.

They didn't want to give it this time as it may do the reverse and that's more stress on the fur baby.

He was given painkillers but they knocked him off his feet. Emergency vet said to stop giving them and speak to my normal vet tomorrow to see what other option there are.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep us posted! Thanks for that update. If you can get canned pumpkin, try giving him 1/2-1 tablespoon per day. That often gets things moving normally again. But first, of course, see your regular vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charlie-pud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He had a bad few days on the new pain meds. He got very wobbly and sleepy, he has stopped them for now. Speaking to the vet Monday to see how he's doing without them.
So far no hissing but his poops are still very small.
My friend brought him some more. Natural food that's hypoallergenic and lots lots of good stuff in. He's not 100% sure of it yet as he prefers. Food with gravy in it and this is more of a paste. So just got to see how he goes.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask or call the vet about giving him human Miralax, 1/4 teaspoon mixed up in an egg yolk or a very small amount of his food so he eats it. it really worked on my constipated senior!