Hissing kitten help!

Ameejane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued two kittens from a lady who got them off the street, two brothers they were also captured with mom and dad. The lady runs a rescue centre from her house. They were around 7/8 weeks old when captured, the one boy is fine just has cat flu that wont go away! The other one the bigger brother (same litter and same dad) is the total opposite! We got them at around 12 weeks old and in her care the one seemed to change after the first time we saw him he started hissing a lot and growling she said it would be fine. We ended up getting them at 12 weeks and the bigger brother who hisses wont stop! He hisses everytime you try and go near him or even to walk past him. They are both now 5 months old and he is still the same he will take food from your hand and play with us and watch his brother get stroked and picked up but as soon as we go near him he hisses and runs. PLEASE HELP!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, boy. You're dealing with feral kittens, and seeing the vast difference that personality makes! HOWEVER...all is not hopeless, and the answer is time and patience, and then more time and patience, and still MORE time and patience! If he takes food from your hand, you're way ahead of this game! I know it doesn't feel like it, but you are! DO NOT compare him to his brother. He is himself, and has to take things at his pace, no one else's. Allow him to call the shots, allow him to come to you. Don't give up on him!

I'm going to ask my dear friend, Jcatbird Jcatbird , to weigh in on this. She is one of my go-to folks on dealing with ferals. There are several others here, and they are all very good at what they do, but her name floated to the top!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great advice already. One important thing is to never pursue him. He must want to come to you. Try laying belly up on the floor and putting food on your body. Don’t move at first when he comes for it. Over time he may brush against you and that’s a start! Using a wand toy to touch him can be a way to show him play and touching can be safe. I have used a hairbrush to let them rub against which feels good to them. Once they are used to it you can extend a single finger to start the touching process. Leave a shirt or something with your scent on it for him to lay on and investigate. If you can sleep in the room with him he can investigate you without fear. None of this is uncommon. He is in a whole new world and it’s big with giant strangers there. He is very, very smart. His instincts are excellent and he is a survivor. In time he will come to understand that you belong to him. There are lots of ways to help him to adjust. Keep working with him. Announce yourself when you come into his space. No surprises. Thank you for being willing to help these two. Once they understand, they will be completely devoted for life. They will love and protect you as they would their original family. Please keep us posted. I’m sure others will be coming in with more tips to help but ask any questions that come up. There are many experienced people here who will be glad to assist. Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ameejane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply and your help! Both of you it means a lot to know that we are doing well even though sometimes we feel like we are at a lost cause. We will continue to feed by hand and play with him. Anymore tips are more then welcome!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I think of anything, I'll let you know! Be sure to update us on what's going on, and what does and does not work.

And thank YOU! Anyone who is willing to take on two feral-born kittens and give them a chance at a loving home, and a decent, happy, long life is a hero in my book!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good advice here. My two cents is just try to be spend time near the scared kitten, as quiet and chill as possible. Investigate whether he will allow you to pet him when he is sleepy, perhaps in his favorite spot or somewhere he knows you are very quiet like the bed or the couch where you watch tv.

I've adopted and found a few street kittens over the years and not found them that different from a home raised kitten. There is a range, and some take longer, just like with any kitten. But don't despair, there is no feral taint or anything like that will follow the little one. When he comes around, he may slowly become just as friendly as the other, or even more so. Not the same as an adult cat that has been on its own for a long time.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I canNOT believe I overlooked this! Spend as much time as you can with him, sitting on the floor and either reading aloud or quietly talking to him. Don't look directly at him, but off to the side a bit. This presents you in a very non-threatening way.