Hissing Feral Cat

olearyk456

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been feeding a feral cat for about a year and a half. The 6 months or so he has started hissing at me when I bring his food bowls full out to him. Doesn’t hiss when I pick up the empty bowls to clean and fill just when I come back with them full??? Curious if anyone knows why.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure he is just being cautious. Maybe you are getting a little closer than he likes. Or maybe something made him nervous at some point, maybe a loud noise or clanking of the dishes that startled him and now he is a little uneasy. Could be a million reasons really. Also he doesn't really sound like he is a true feral, otherwise he would bolt and you would barely catch a glimpse of him. Are you able to touch him at all?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olearyk456

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He used to bolt when he first started coming around. We live in the boonies private on 42 acres. We put left over old food outside for the critters so he happened upon us and was eating that. He kept coming around and being the animal lover that I am bought him dry cat food and then added in wet and treats. He stopped bolting fairly quickly and now I can get within a few feet of him to put his bowls down. His spot is under the bed of a small pickup in my driveway. Just bought him a heated kitty house for winter and he loves that. I think he is feral. I tried a red laser
Light thinking he might play and it scared the crap out him and he ran!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How long ago did you try the laser light on him - does it coincide with the time he started hissing at you? Just a thought...

Could someone else have scared him, and he is just reacting to you because of that? Someone who got too close to the bed of the pickup truck where he hangs out?

I doubt that he is sick, given he's been behaving this way for 6 months. But, have you noticed any other changes in his behavior or looks?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is Feral, the Hissing is just their way of telling you you are too close to them.
Don't take it as him being mean, He is just communicating with you.
My Walli will hiss when I bring her food sometimes all the while walking toward where the food is:lol:

I shouldn't even say too close, He's just telling you he's there, He will trust you more and more!