hind leg paralysis after surgery

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the vet said my cat has a little bit of feeling left, but his hind leg is useless. He drags it around. They said it could be months to determine if it will be permanent. Anyone with experience with this? I would love to hear success stories, but I want the reality too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have no direct experience with this, but did see an article offered by another member regarding physical therapy to see if it can help with reducing paralysis (see link below). Has your vet mentioned anything like this as a possibility?

I know I have read at least a couple of threads related to leg paralysis, so I am hoping those members will see your post and offer their firsthand experiences in the coming hours/days! Just keep checking back for new responses!

https://www.handicappedpets.com/physical-therapy-for-pet-paralysis/

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also saw your other post about the pain he was in after surgery. Could it be a possibility that your cat suffered a blood clot in his leg? Perhaps a trip to the vet to check blood flow and if there is a clot would be in order. Perhaps it's not too late to restore function.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also saw your other post about the pain he was in after surgery. Could it be a possibility that your cat suffered a blood clot in his leg? Perhaps a trip to the vet to check blood flow and if there is a clot would be in order. Perhaps it's not too late to restore function.
Thanks for thinking about my situation. Blood flow is good. Paw is warm and normal color.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have no direct experience with this, but did see an article offered by another member regarding physical therapy to see if it can help with reducing paralysis (see link below). Has your vet mentioned anything like this as a possibility?

I know I have read at least a couple of threads related to leg paralysis, so I am hoping those members will see your post and offer their firsthand experiences in the coming hours/days! Just keep checking back for new responses!

Physical therapy for pet paralysis | Handicapped Pets
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate the resource.

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is def a prob with the sciatic and femoral nerve. I had it checked it 👍

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you get any suggestions from the vet about possible treatments/therapy?
I have an appt for physical therapy on Jan 18th which I feel is too far off. Im on the waiting list for a sooner appt. im struggling to find another cat PT vet. A lot of places are exclusively dogs. I have to save his leg. I will keep searching

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am thinking that at least 4 weeks, probably more like 6 weeks needs to pass before any kind of therapy?? Did you ask the vet about this? The Jan 18th appt may not be as far off - from a healing standpoint - as you might think. Can you ask the PT vet if there are small steps you can take at home - and when to start - before the PT begins?

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am thinking that at least 4 weeks, probably more like 6 weeks needs to pass before any kind of therapy?? Did you ask the vet about this? The Jan 18th appt may not be as far off - from a healing standpoint - as you might think. Can you ask the PT vet if there are small steps you can take at home - and when to start - before the PT begins?
I just saw my vet to get the stitches from the surgery out. He was saying to out him in the bathtub and let him walk...he cant use the leg! Walking isnt possible with both legs 🤦‍♀️. The PT people have me on the waiting lost. No one will say anything definite/over the phone, I guess for oiability reasons.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he is not in pain, the vet might have suggested to let him out and about a bit to help with keeping him as mobile as possible until PT can start. If you try it, just do it for brief periods, and if you notice any pain with it, ask the vet for some pain meds to help out. I am thinking that as long as there is limited pain associated with movement, he is better off getting a bit of exercise even if it means he drags that leg. Think of how quickly people are 'up and about' after hip/knee surgery. It is not only done to help with the hip/knee but to help keep the rest of the body from getting weaker.

This is likely much more upsetting to you than it is to him - again, as long as any pain can be managed. And, the odds are if he has pain with movement, he is likely having it without movement as well.