Himalayan or Ragdoll

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cat doesn’t have papers, it’s a seal lynx domestic longhair; BYB will commonly label pointed longhairs as ragdolls or Birmans to make more money selling them. Himalayans are pointed Persians, which this cat doesn’t resemble. Could theoretically be a poor conformation Ragdoll — hard to tell from this photo, given the poor lighting on the head.

If the breeder isn’t upfront with registration papers and health testing, walk away. If you have doubts about this cat being what the breeder says it is, walk away.

Ragdolls need hip scoring, HCM clear (genetic and ECG scan), PKD1 clear, and PRA clear. If the cat has papers but isn’t tested or fully clear, walk away.

Support a shelter or reputable breeder, rather than a BYB.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that without papers, stating a breed is a moot point. She is a pointed domestic longhair as a description. Ther could be some Himalayan in her background or some kind of Oriental breed anyway. If there is, she will be very people-oriented, VERY talkative, and stubborn. I absolutely love oriental background cats!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have more pictures showing the whole body from the side? What kind of undercoat does she or he have? From the one picture he looks more like a Ragdoll.

Himalayan is the color pointed division of the Persian breed. I do not see the flat face or small ears that are typical of modern Persians. The coat will also be very different. Persians have a thick cottony undercoat that makes the long hair stand out from the body. The Ragdoll has a medium long coat, generally shorter than the Persians, and minimal undercoat.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely more details needed and better photos. As the first reply said be careful not to support a byb, they exists because people support them rather than doing proper research - so it’s great your asking questions first.

I’m not seeing anything to suggest Himi or Oriental as was also mentioned (you also aren’t guaranteed a personality type with cats let alone a mix, I know plenty of Siamese breeders who’s cats are not stubborn, loud or chatty)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Cat Lovers,

Can anyone tell me what is the cat breed? According to the breeder it’s Ragdoll but looks Himalyan to me, any expert here that can advise me pls.
Need some better pics but she doesn’t look Himalayan to me at all. Except maybe the eyes a but. Did she come with papers etc? If not she is a dlh colorpoint, looks sealpoint. She is gorgeous. From this pic I would say she looks more balinese( natural lh siamese cats). All pointed cats have siamese ancestry however distant, that is where the points came from.