Himalayan? or Persian-ish?

teamcarp33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is my new foster kitty Ara. She is a lovely girl who had been stray for quite  some time and is recovering here at my house. She had a lot of hair loss, and so many matts that her belly had to be clipped pretty short. Her hair is really starting to regrow finally, but I know she looks shorter haired in the picture. The hair she does still have (on her tail it's the longest) is SUPER long, maybe even 5 inches! Yikes! After she is back in prime condition, I'll be looking for a new home for her. Does she look like a pure-bredish Himalayan, or more like a Persian or Persian Mix? I'm much more accustomed DSH kitties, but I know this one looks like a "fancy cat" lol. Any help would be great!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Himalayans are just pointed Persians. In most (non-U.S.) registries, they're considered another color of Persian and not a separate breed. She does look Himalayan, but not from show lines. Or maybe a longhaired Siamese mix. How short is her muzzle?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teamcarp33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Her snout is pretty short, but not non-existent.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks more like a British Longhair than a Persian, but it's probably more likely she's a Persian mix and not a BSH/BLH mix. (And yes, over here colorpoint Persians are called Persians, they are not a separate breed).

For comparison my British Longhairs (trying to find side profile pics):

This is my Luna

Here as a kitten

And this fellow is Utu

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teamcarp33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ooh my gosh your cats are so beautiful. Wow. Yes, I think Ara does have a more similar look to them, but I'm sure it's extremely unlikely that she has an BLH in her. That's very interesting about the Himalayan's actually being a Persian. I guess I thought that Himalayans came from crosses of Persians with Siamese, and that they had a less "compressed" face than a Persian would. I've seen lots of pictures on the internet of Himalayans, and while some did have the super flat face, others had a more moderate, "normal?" snout. And I've never seen a "Persian" with a normal snout. Oh genetics.....

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh my gosh your cats are so beautiful. Wow. Yes, I think Ara does have a more similar look to them, but I'm sure it's extremely unlikely that she has an BLH in her. That's very interesting about the Himalayan's actually being a Persian. I guess I thought that Himalayans came from crosses of Persians with Siamese, and that they had a less "compressed" face than a Persian would. I've seen lots of pictures on the internet of Himalayans, and while some did have the super flat face, others had a more moderate, "normal?" snout. And I've never seen a "Persian" with a normal snout. Oh genetics.....

The colorpoint pattern in Persians is originally from Siamese, but those outcrosses haven't been allowed for decades, so if you would breed Persian with a Siamese today the result will just be a moggie. There is no need for the outcross anymore because the pattern is already in the Persian population and nothing would be gained from it anymore. Persians of any color are supposed to have the short nose, so all the ones you see with longer noses (the ones that look like my Brits) are either mixed breed or pet quality and not suitable for showing or breeding.

As you can see my Luna is also a colorpoint kitty, she gets the pattern from Persians which were used to improve and wider British Shorthair's genepool back in WWII. So basically Luna got it through Persians from Siamese too. If I go back enough in her pedigree I can find Siamese (and few other breeds) in there. She also gets her long coat from Persian ancestors. Both of her parents are British Shorthairs, and so are Utu's (my other BLH).

Back in the day outcrosses had to be made to save some breeds which were in verge of extinction (due to war which lead to too little breed stock so too high inbreeding would have been fatal), or to improve the breed, or just to add new color or pattern to the breed which was the case with Persian x Siamese.

dreamey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My understanding of himy's was that they were persian/siamese/something else.... heavy in the Persian. I just can't remember what the something else is. Often they don't have quite as flat a nose as persians. But that could be "american himalayans" (as opposed to what is seen from other countries).

I do know that to me a Persian has a very flat face, but a friend of mine is a foster parent with a rescue organization and they just received some Persians from Egypt (I dont' remember the agreement) and those Persians look VERY different from what we associate as Persians.

From the pics that you showed, I would think your Ara is a seal-point Himy. Though the physical differences between the two from pictures can be negotiable. the color might be what I'm seeing as opposed to what her color shows too...

I do remember reading a number of years ago that Himy's don't have as many respiratory issues as Persians. Those of course shedding and furballs are still an issue.

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My understanding of himy's was that they were persian/siamese/something else.... heavy in the Persian. I just can't remember what the something else is. Often they don't have quite as flat a nose as persians. But that could be "american himalayans" (as opposed to what is seen from other countries).

I do know that to me a Persian has a very flat face, but a friend of mine is a foster parent with a rescue organization and they just received some Persians from Egypt (I dont' remember the agreement) and those Persians look VERY different from what we associate as Persians.

From the pics that you showed, I would think your Ara is a seal-point Himy. Though the physical differences between the two from pictures can be negotiable. the color might be what I'm seeing as opposed to what her color shows too...

I do remember reading a number of years ago that Himy's don't have as many respiratory issues as Persians. Those of course shedding and furballs are still an issue.
I think it's a Himalayan like my guy. As his health improves, so will his coat! You shouldn't have trouble finding a home for him! My Shiloh is a rescue as well!

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a breeder but I do have 2 doll faced persians... She definately has some Persian/himi in her.  I would say she is a doll faced Himi.  (Himi is just a color pointed Persian)  She does have the brachycephalic thing going on definately.  So yes... Persian/himi!!