Hills CD Prescription Urinary

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey All
I need some advice
My boy Fudgey went through a urinary problem about a month and a half ago .The vet recommended to give him Hills CD Urinary Care Multicare Stress cat food
Ok he won't eat the wet version so I'm giving him the dry version and he loves it...My vet knows he's only eating the dry of the Hills Version
She don't know yet he's eat the wet platefuls

But I'm also giving him wet indoor platefuls to stand in for the wet

Will the wet platefuls stop the progress that the Hills C D Dry prescription Urinary is doing
Or will it stop the progress cause it's not hills cd

And also
I want the best for my boy
To keep him healthy
But is there also any ideas of another dry food for urinary and stress relief
The cost is pretty high..
But if I have to buy it
I will for my boy Fudgey health
It's better than expensive vet bill
Just need some help here
Tia

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Whether or not the Hill's C/D will do anything for Fudgey depends on what urinary problem he has/had. If related to crystals, it might be worth it to keep him eating it for a while, as it is supposed to help dissolve crystals - mostly just based on helping to balance PH in urine to help ward off crystal formation and encourage water drinking to keep the bladder flushed. A lot of people will use something like Hill's until follow up testing shows the crystals have been dissolved. Once that is accomplished, many will revert their cats back to their normal diet - preferably wet not dry. Having some wet food along with the Hill's, IMO, is just fine - if for no other reason than the moisture content. Many people on this site will tell you that these prescription foods really don't do much, and the best diet for a cat is one loaded with moisture.

If Fudgey's issues are deemed to be more stress related, I doubt the Hill's will do much for him. That would be more along the lines of a high anxiety cat that could use other means for stress relief. Maybe you might find this TCS article helpful.
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis – How To Improve Your Cat’s Quality Of Life – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Whether or not the Hill's C/D will do anything for Fudgey depends on what urinary problem he has/had. If related to crystals, it might be worth it to keep him eating it for a while, as it is supposed to help dissolve crystals - mostly just based on helping to balance PH in urine to help ward off crystal formation and encourage water drinking to keep the bladder flushed. A lot of people will use something like Hill's until follow up testing shows the crystals have been dissolved. Once that is accomplished, many will revert their cats back to their normal diet - preferably wet not dry. Having some wet food along with the Hill's, IMO, is just fine - if for no other reason than the moisture content. Many people on this site will tell you that these prescription foods really don't do much, and the best diet for a cat is one loaded with moisture.

If Fudgey's issues are deemed to be more stress related, I doubt the Hill's will do much for him. That would be more along the lines of a high anxiety cat that could use other means for stress relief. Maybe you might find this TCS article helpful.
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis – How To Improve Your Cat’s Quality Of Life – TheCatSite Articles
Yes I believe my cat has stress issues..well did
Cause before he was put on the Hill CD multi care urinary care stress relief
He was very jumpy
He's not like that anymore

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey All
I need some advice
My boy Fudgey went through a urinary problem about a month and a half ago .The vet recommended to give him Hills CD Urinary Care Multicare Stress cat food
Ok he won't eat the wet version so I'm giving him the dry version and he loves it...My vet knows he's only eating the dry of the Hills Version
She don't know yet he's eat the wet platefuls

But I'm also giving him wet indoor platefuls to stand in for the wet

Will the wet platefuls stop the progress that the Hills C D Dry prescription Urinary is doing
Or will it stop the progress cause it's not hills cd

And also
I want the best for my boy
To keep him healthy
But is there also any ideas of another dry food for urinary and stress relief
The cost is pretty high..
But if I have to buy it
I will for my boy Fudgey health
It's better than expensive vet bill
Just need some help here
Tia
If he has crystals ,it should not be mixed with other food. If he doesn't it can be mixed. Make sure he has numerous water bowls scattered If he is eating dry.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Jasper will NOT eat the wet either. The vet wants me to feed him C/D as well for his UTI issues, so I caved and just let him have the dry. Since he likes the dry but won't eat the wet, I started buying Tiki After Dark. I'm hoping that's okay D: I'm gonna do research now.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Jasper will NOT eat the wet either. The vet wants me to feed him C/D as well for his UTI issues, so I caved and just let him have the dry. Since he likes the dry but won't eat the wet, I started buying Tiki After Dark. I'm hoping that's okay D: I'm gonna do research now.
Looks like we both need to research if we going to give Hills CD dry
And I plan to for awhile
But I do know we have to watch out for phosphorus.. magnesium..and calcium in the wet
Too much of either can cause urinary issues

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You would be better to feed your kitty just regular canned food. Sorry but your vet only recommending Hills Rx Diet is only fattening their pockets. Hills is just one of the foods that is pure Garbage. Also feeding any Rx Diet recommend by your vet is because they are in with these Pet Food Companies. Have you tried feeding your baby Raw or even Freeze Dried? It is the best you can feed your kitty with Urinary Problems. Let alone any kibble. It contains Corn Products, Sawdust and other unwanted dangerous fillers and chemicals.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
You would be better to feed your kitty just regular canned food. Sorry but your vet only recommending Hills Rx Diet is only fattening their pockets. Hills is just one of the foods that is pure Garbage. Also feeding any Rx Diet recommend by your vet is because they are in with these Pet Food Companies. Have you tried feeding your baby Raw or even Freeze Dried? It is the best you can feed your kitty with Urinary Problems. Let alone any kibble. It contains Corn Products, Sawdust and other unwanted dangerous fillers and chemicals.
Never have fed raw or Free Dried
Do you make it yourself or what
Sorry I just don't know much about them

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hills cd desolved my cats struitive crystals so I put her on high protein low carb food. Crystals came back so I do believe the food is necessary. Raw or freeze dried is not good for a cat with urinary issues til you know exactly what's wrong. Since I rescued her 3 months only canned. If he must eat dry be sure there are water bowls scattered around,even a fountain. The calorie content is low. If humans ate too many carbs we would gain weight. It's different for a cat. I did try feeding her raw once. I slowly mixed it in for 5 days. She threw it up. Not all cats can eat it

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hills cd desolved my cats struitive crystals so I put her on high protein low carb food. Crystals came back so I do believe the food is necessary. Raw or freeze dried is not good for a cat with urinary issues til you know exactly what's wrong. Since I rescued her 3 months only canned. If he must eat dry be sure there are water bowls scattered around,even a fountain. The calorie content is low. If humans ate too many carbs we would gain weight. It's different for a cat. I did try feeding her raw once. I slowly mixed it in for 5 days. She threw it up. Not all cats can eat it
Will my boy have to be on hills cd all his life
And is it ok to feed him Natural Balance Platefuls in the morning like 3 oz pouch
And give him the Hills CD in the day and at night
Cause I don't want to just feed him dry
And he won't eat the hills cd wet

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Will my boy have to be on hills cd all his life
And is it ok to feed him Natural Balance Platefuls in the morning like 3 oz pouch
And give him the Hills CD in the day and at night
Cause I don't want to just feed him dry
And he won't eat the hills cd wet
I honestly do not see how a food will help with stress so ask your vet about it. Stress can cause crystals and hills cd is supposed to help prevent crystals so its up to you and your vet. Males are more prone to have urinary issues.. I think stress caused my cat to have struitive crystals. I try to spend lots of time wither,play,brus, lots of tlc

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago our male cat had crystals.

The vet prescribed hills perscription diet cd. The vet said it was ok for our female cat to eat it also. It was easier to feed both cats the same food as they ate together.

The crystals on the male never reappeared. Eventually he passed. The female continued on the cd as that was what she was used to and seemed to enjoy. Then she got diabetes. She looked like she would die any day. The vet said we had to start giving her insulin twice a day. I did some research and found the hills cd to be very poor quality food. It was high in carbs and being dry, low in moisture. We thought it was healthy food. After all it was "perscription", recomended by the vet, only available thru a vet and expensive. We didnt know the issues withfeeding dry food. We switched her to a high quality wet food. Her health improved dramatically. Even her fur improved. She went from literally being on deaths door to living another year and a half.... to the age of 18.......with no insulin shots. I sometimes wonder how long she would have lived and how happier she might have been if we had only fed her quality wet food.

Do your research. Its important to get them on wet food, especially if they have crystals.

Im not a vet. I also wont take a vets word on food again.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Do your research. Its important to get them on wet food, especially if they have crystals.
May I ask what wet food you feed?

We try to feed them wet food only, but there are times they will let the food sit and just not eat it.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We try to feed them wet food only, but there are times they will let the food sit and just not eat it.

Here are the pics of the food we give them.

BUT they may not be suitable for your cat as it has crystals.

I would find out what the requirements are food appropriate for a cat with crystals and then research those foods. I think it should be low carbs, grain free and wet but may have additional requirements. Im not a vet.

In my opinion the weruva is better food than the merrick brand, but the merrick is good food and has a variety of flavors greg and arnold will eat. (Ive tried numerous high end brands) As a result I buy both brands (but only certain flavors of merrick as some are better than others and there are only certain ones my cats will eat.)

A year ago Greg had pancreatitus and had to be force fed for a week, so its very important that we give him healthy food he will eat reliably. The merrick is a compromise between quality and variety.

I do feed greg and arnold about 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of the natures instinct grain free chicken before I go to bed (otherwise they will wake me at 4am to be fed). Both cats are over 20 lbs, some mixture of grey and gigantic, so i think that small quantity of dry food split between the two of them shouldnt be great health concern. Their dry food isnt ideal but I think its one of the better ones and I think its good for them to chew food that is hard occassionally.

I also make sure the cats drink alot of water. I use a stainless steel pioneer fountain with a filter and also only put brita filtered in it.

I understand water is critical in preventing crystals.

I left arnold alone for 5 seconds and he chewed thru the bag, hence the tape.

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

i
My cat really likes weruva chicken Frick a zee. It is suggested for a cat thar had crystals so it is to prevent2

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Purina and Royal Canin make veterinary lines that are similar to the Hill's, so they may be better options for the wet food right now. Do you have to feed it forever? Maybe not, but you should get him well over his troubles before slowly weaning him onto a new diet.