Highrise syndrome protection

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
6 month old kittens really try your patience :frustrated: Most do grow out of the bad behavior as long as you keep up with the firm NOs and removing the cat from the stove, etc. Is this your only cat? Some cats get frustrated and bored without a friend so they seek out things to do knowing they'll get a reaction from you. Something to consider if another cat is doable for you.

Does the stove have burners or is it flat? The flat ones are more dangerous IMO because cats just see it as part of the counter. Any stove is dangerous when hot, even for a good while after it's been used, so definitely keep the cat away from the stove until it's cool to the touch. I wonder if burned on food stuck to the burners attract some cats?

TCS has an article about keeping cats off counters and such: How To Keep Cats Off Counters And Tables – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
6 month old kittens really try your patience :frustrated: Most do grow out of the bad behavior as long as you keep up with the firm NOs and removing the cat from the stove, etc. Is this your only cat? Some cats get frustrated and bored without a friend so they seek out things to do knowing they'll get a reaction from you. Something to consider if another cat is doable for you.

Does the stove have burners or is it flat? The flat ones are more dangerous IMO because cats just see it as part of the counter. Any stove is dangerous when hot, even for a good while after it's been used, so definitely keep the cat away from the stove until it's cool to the touch. I wonder if burned on food stuck to the burners attract some cats?

TCS has an article about keeping cats off counters and such: How To Keep Cats Off Counters And Tables – TheCatSite Articles
Juno is my one and only. When I applied at the rescue, I put in for an adult because I knew I only wanted one. But she came available and needed a foster, so they offered her to me as a foster-to-adopt (knowing she would be a single kitty), and I immediately fell in love. I feel pretty strongly that I only want one cat, so I'm not inclined to get a second as long as she seems happy (even if a little rebellious). I try to play with her a lot to get out her kitten energy but as another poster here said, it's like trying to empty the ocean with a bucket 😛

The stove is a new gas stove, with knobs that can be turned very easily. I got locks this morning to prevent her from burning down the joint. (Sadly, the ones I got also prevent me from using the stove easily, but better than the alternative for now). The charred food might be attracting her, but I suspect it's also because it's easier for her to reach than the rest of the counter-- it has a bar across the oven which she grabs onto to pull herself up, and she also uses the grill over the burners to get leverage.

It's good that she's in this phase while I'm WFH, because I've been able to monitor her and remove her again and again and again....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought I would write an update on my Evil Kneival. Just this morning, I was thinking how I had gotten used to seeing her up on the bannister above my great room without having a heart attack. And no sooner had that thought crossed my mind than she jumped off the ledge to the top of my cabinets. From which there was no obvious egress. After much plaintive meowing, she finally figured out she could jump down off the fridge, and then proceeded to do it three more times. I have the intention of turning the whole thing into a full kitty highway (leading to a high window ledge), but the shelves I ordered from Etsy have been delayed in the post. And I guess Juno couldn't wait....
20210114_082913.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That must have been nerve wracking! A kitty high way will look very sharp there...please post pics once it is up.

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Curious to see your kitty highway! I think that would be a great idea and would be so good for her. I wish I had space to something like that for my Maya. She’s 7 and still keeps me on my toes.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is AMAZING! It is attractive, does not clutter up your place, and fits the decor exactly. Juno is one lucky little rescue.