High quality wet food, urinary issues

Ser313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looking for a high quality wet food for cats with urinate tract issues. One of my cats was out of hills science diet c/d wet food by their vet when they experienced urinate blockage. I’m unimpressed with the quality for hills science diets’ ingredients and am trying to find a better alternative. I’ve read that it’s the ash content that’s of concern for urinary issues so looking for foods with ash content as low or lower that the hills’ which is 6.2. Does any one have recommendations?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tanya's site has a lot of helpful information about kidney disease which can translate to urinary problems too. Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Which Foods to Feed, and Which to Avoid

Generally speaking, most vet diets IMO are fairly junky. I tend to think that cats with urinary crystals should get the vet diet to help break up crystals, but once that is under control a high moisture, low phosphorus diet can be beneficial. Of course, make sure you get regular vet visits and testing to ensure the diet is working.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the forum.

You are right. Hill's Pet only makes low quality foods. BTW Science Diet is the brand for healthy cats and excludes prescription formulas. Because cats with urinary tract infections need a lot of water, I would look at that percentage on the guaranteed analysis label.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here is a very long thread discussing OTC foods for urinary blockages. Many people have moved from prescription foods to OTC foods: Food help please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ser313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for everyone’s help. I had been feeding all 4 of my cats both wet and dry food for the better part of a decade but since the one cat experienced urinate blockages I have switched entirely to wet food. The brand we’d been feeding them for years is weruva truluxe, I’d thought that truluxe was great but have read so mixed reviews and not all the flavors are as low in ash as I wanted. I was wondering if there are any specific wet foods you guys like. I’m currently trying out the tiki cat after dark shredder line but one of my cats doesn’t like it and I’ve also read to be wary of the vitamin k added to it. Thanks again everyone!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for everyone’s help. I had been feeding all 4 of my cats both wet and dry food for the better part of a decade but since the one cat experienced urinate blockages I have switched entirely to wet food. The brand we’d been feeding them for years is weruva truluxe, I’d thought that truluxe was great but have read so mixed reviews and not all the flavors are as low in ash as I wanted. I was wondering if there are any specific wet foods you guys like. I’m currently trying out the tiki cat after dark shredder line but one of my cats doesn’t like it and I’ve also read to be wary of the vitamin k added to it. Thanks again everyone!
Weruva chicken Frick a zee. First time in awhile she's done a long pee that I could actually hear! Struitive crystals

YingYangCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looking for a high quality wet food for cats with urinate tract issues. One of my cats was out of hills science diet c/d wet food by their vet when they experienced urinate blockage. I’m unimpressed with the quality for hills science diets’ ingredients and am trying to find a better alternative. I’ve read that it’s the ash content that’s of concern for urinary issues so looking for foods with ash content as low or lower that the hills’ which is 6.2. Does any one have recommendations?
Farmina Pet Foods - Cat food - N&D Prime Feline
Farmina Pet Foods - Cat food - N&D Prime Feline - Chicken & Pomegranate Kitten wet food

Attachments