High globulin levels

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just got our 14 year old cat tested as he had some blood in his stool. He has also been lethargic and withdrawn since his bonded "brother" died 3 weeks ago.
The sample we had sent came back as normal which is very puzzling as it is NOT normal to have blood and some mucus in stool. His blood tests also came back all right but with high levels of globulin. (Globulin is 5.1 with 5.6 being the high level. albumin is 3.9 so about the mid-range and total protein is high at 8.9 with 8.1 being normal range.)
He had also been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism earlier this year and we treated it with radio iodine therapy as soon as we could. He is eating normally but has always been a picky cat. His teeth need a lot of work and have major buildup. His weight is also good.
I don't know what else I can do now. If someone has any ideas, should I be looking for kidney disease, a viral or bacterial infection because of the high globulin count? We lost our other cat--Biscuit, because he had a tumor that became very big, very fast so I don't want to ignore any health problems with Oyster.
Thank you if you can point me in any direction. Our vet doesn't think he needs any further tests or treatment.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It could mean kidney or liver issues, a viral or bacterial infection - even arthritis. Perhaps, your vet thinks his counts are on the high side side due to his dental issues - inflammation or infection in his gums/teeth?

Did you ask the vet why they don't think additional testing is necessary? Are they planning on a follow up blood test in the near future, just to see if the numbers stay high?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I have no idea what we are dealing with here. It could be a many number of things but the vet said there was no cause for concern right now so they won't suggest any further testing/treatment other than getting his teeth cleaned.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Understanding bloodwork can be complicated, and oftentimes one or two high numbers really don't mean anything, or that's what our Vet has explained to us. They often need to be a combination of high numbers to really mean something specific, and stress can play a part in raising numbers, particularly in cats. I would say if your Vet said not to worry about it at this juncture, that's what you should try to do.

Did you talk to your Vet about the possibility of putting Oyster on anti-depresents to help him get over the loss of his brother. I know it seems extreme, but it might help since he's taking it so hard. (and it might also help determine wither this really IS depression related or not)

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I have sent my concerns via email to our vet so waiting on her reply. Meanwhile, Oyster has an appointment at the clinic where they specialize in dental care for senior cats so hopefully, things will become better.
As for his behavior, I don't really want him on anti-depressants as we have seen nasty side effects on our now-deceased cat--Biscuit. I will go that route if the behavior doesn't change or becomes worse.
For now, we can only wait and pray for the best outcome.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was thinking anti-depressants just for a short while to get him through this tough time for him with the loss of his brother. Not thinking anything long term.

Hoping all goes well with the dental. Does he have any other underlying conditions other than the hyperthyroidism that he had the radio iodine therapy for? If not, there should be no issue. I know it's always a worry with seniors, but as long s there are not big health problems, things should be fine :alright:.

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: Oyster has some lesions in his gums and the usual tartar that comes with age. He is scheduled to go under next month.
As for the globulin levels, our vet says to wait till the dental because she doesn't see anything to worry about right now. Thank you.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ws there anything to worry about with those lesions? I suspect they are painful and that may be the cause of his depression, etc, exaserbated by his brother's death :frown:. Hoping he feels much better after the dental.

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ws there anything to worry about with those lesions? I suspect they are painful and that may be the cause of his depression, etc, exaserbated by his brother's death :frown:. Hoping he feels much better after the dental.
Thank you. The lesions are the usual wear and tear with age. I think Oyster is really depressed but he is showing signs of improvement--albeit too slowly for my liking. He dislikes the one year old we adopted last year--always has, so he likes hanging out with me when I am home.