High Baseline Water Consumption?

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From what I've read, my 6-month old Juno, who is my first cat ever, seems to drink a lot of water. I've read that cats, on average, pee about two to three times a day. I counted once and found nine pee clumps in a 24 hour period. She drinks from her water bowl, but she's also never met a water glass she didn't think was hers.
20201016_085241.jpg

My office has so many half-filled water glasses (as soon as I get a clean one for myself, she claims it) that it looks like a scene from Signs.

I haven't asked my vet if this is normal because, well, I assumed it was, since she has always been like this. I'm more curious than concerned. Do some cats just drink more than others?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to estimate the amount of water she is drinking?

I fostered a kitten (3 to 4 months old) who would pee up to 15 times a day, and though she went through a dozens tests and visits, she was totally fine.

My current cat drinks 6-10 ml per day, but I also add lots of extra water to her wet meal (about 45-50 ml) and we have to take in the account the moisture of the wet food as well.
I guess she's drinking 200 ml per day in all, and pees at least 5 times per day.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Some cats do drink more than others. Feeby (16+ yo) has always been an avid water drinker, however, up until she got older she would pee only once a day - a HUGE amount. It is possible that as your cat gets a bit older the pee will be less often, but larger in size if she follows Feeby's path. Feeby was 2ish when she found me, so I have no idea what her pee clumps were like when she was a kitten. Now that Feeby is older, she pees 3-4 times a day, but the clumps are still of large size.

Has Juno had a baseline set of tests (CBC, Chemistry Profile, urinalysis) yet? If not, maybe talk to your vet about getting these tests done just to ensure nothing 'amiss' shows up. If nothing shows up, then it is likely that Juno just loves water! Having a baseline set of tests, even at her age, is always a good idea, as they can be used for comparison to future tests - enabling any issues that could arise to be identified earlier than might happen otherwise.

Rowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Gem always loved water -I don't know whether it was because she was eating more dry food than wet originally that she needed more water. Does she get wet food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Gem always loved water -I don't know whether it was because she was eating more dry food than wet originally that she needed more water. Does she get wet food?
Juno eats wet food twice a day, with dry food available in between meals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has Juno had a baseline set of tests (CBC, Chemistry Profile, urinalysis) yet? If not, maybe talk to your vet about getting these tests done just to ensure nothing 'amiss' shows up. If nothing shows up, then it is likely that Juno just loves water! Having a baseline set of tests, even at her age, is always a good idea, as they can be used for comparison to future tests - enabling any issues that could arise to be identified earlier than might happen otherwise.
I took her for her first wellness check a few weeks ago, but I don't know exactly what tests they performed, since I wasn't allowed inside. I can check with the vet. My main concerns then were worms/parasites and managing her felines herpes.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
From what I've read, my 6-month old Juno, who is my first cat ever, seems to drink a lot of water. I've read that cats, on average, pee about two to three times a day. I counted once and found nine pee clumps in a 24 hour period.
A 6 month old is still very much a kitten. Kittens have weaker bladders as they are still young and still in the formative year and organs takes tine to mature and gain strength.

It is normal for them to pee many times a day either in many small clumps or much bigger clumps. Once they have matured and becomes an adult cat, they have stronger bladders and can withhold pee for a longer time and thus you'll find that they pee less times as compared when they were younger.

Putting aside any health issues, I would say this is normal.