High 5 training?

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im trying to train my cat to high 5 but none of the tutorials seem to work so far... Ive tried to attach a treat to a cord and she hits it! I give her a treat and she eats it. I repeated it 10~ times but when i try it with my hand she ignores it.... Is there any way i can train her :eek:? I also want to train her to climb up to my shoulder but i haven't even tried yet.. i think the high 5 will be easier and a great introduction to work for treats

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hold the treat about three inches above the cat's head and just behind the ears and she'll have to sit up like a dog to get it.
Once she's sitting up, move the treat toward you and to one side so that she has to use her paw to reach for it.

Start by teaching the "sit-up." Then, when she's consistent at that, teach her to use her paw. From there, you should be able to teach the "high five." :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ohh okay! Thank you!! I tried the treat above head but she would just walk away until i put it in the floor :[ ill begin with sitting first!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try clicker training and using a point (a little stick with a little ball on one end.) Get her to tap the pointer with the ball, click, reward with treat.

I trained three 8 week old kittens to sit up and then tap my fingers holding the treat by 11 weeks ..... but I got more of a high 10 (both paws) then a high 5. 🤷🏻‍♀️ The “kittens” are 3 years old and still know how to do it I trained them by holding the treat up over their heads and moving it slowly. By the way my cat now knows: sit, meow back, spin, up or high 5 & to get up on the foot stool to get his harness on/off.

I would google “Jackson Galaxy teaching your cat to high five” he has a tutorial cheat sheet that might help.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you put the treat too high, she might not understand that you want her to go "up."

Hold it a little lower and a little more in front until she learns to reach up to get it.
Then when she knows that, raise it up so she needs to stretch up just a little bit.
When she does that, move back until she has to sit up on her haunches to get it.
Once she gets that, make her use her paw to get it. When she taps the treat with her paw, say, "High-Five!" and give her the treat.

Keep reinforcing: Sit... Go up... Paw... High-Five... Treat... until it all becomes one move.

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would try clicker training and using a point (a little stick with a little ball on one end.) Get her to tap the pointer with the ball, click, reward with treat.

I trained three 8 week old kittens to sit up and then tap my fingers holding the treat by 11 weeks ..... but I got more of a high 10 (both paws) then a high 5. 🤷🏻‍♀️ The “kittens” are 3 years old and still know how to do it I trained them by holding the treat up over their heads and moving it slowly. By the way my cat now knows: sit, meow back, spin, up or high 5 & to get up on the foot stool to get his harness on/off.

I would google “Jackson Galaxy teaching your cat to high five” he has a tutorial cheat sheet that might help.
Ooh never heard about a clicker, will give it a try and also the tutorials!! Tysm

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you put the treat too high, she might not understand that you want her to go "up."

Hold it a little lower and a little more in front until she learns to reach up to get it.
Then when she knows that, raise it up so she needs to stretch up just a little bit.
When she does that, move back until she has to sit up on her haunches to get it.
Once she gets that, make her use her paw to get it. When she taps the treat with her paw, say, "High-Five!" and give her the treat.

Keep reinforcing: Sit... Go up... Paw... High-Five... Treat... until it all becomes one move.
Ooh ! Makes a lot of sense tysm!! Tho she still doesn't know 'sit' nor 'go up' but ill try!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm more familiar with teaching dogs to do tricks.
I've done tricks with cats but it's usually more like patting my hand on my lap to come up for petting and "quality time."

The process is the same. You break "the behavior" down into small steps, teach them one at a time then string them together into one, smooth motion.

Even though the process is the same you have to translate it to the way cats think.

If I was going to teach a dog to "roll over" I'd teach it to "sit" then to "lay down." Once I got that to be reliable, I'd use the treat to entice the dog to roll over on its back to get it. When I get the dog to go that far, I'd use my hand to tussle him all the way over before giving the treat. Do it in tiny steps.

For a cat, I'd have to think about what motivates a cat to do those things.

If it was a dog, I'd hold him by the collar and gently push down on its butt to teach him to "sit." (Treat.) (Repeat until learned.)
Once I got "sit" I'd put the treat down low and maybe push down for "lay down." (Treat.) (Repeat.)
For "roll over" I'd twirl the treat and use my hand to help the dog go on its back. (Treat.) (Repeat.)
After that, I'd complete the roll. (Lots of treats.) (Lots of "good doggy") (Lots of petting and fussing.) (Repeat until it becomes one motion.)

Now, for a cat, pushing its butt down to "make" it sit, probably won't work. Cats have different motivations. Cats need a different reason to sit or do other things.

The trick is to find out what that reason is.

Somehow, you need to figure out a way to get your cat to think that this whole thing is her idea in the first place. ;)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and cats/dogs learn body language/hand signals first before the word. So work with that. I taught Jackie while trying to get him to do things he does naturally. The only trick I’m having trouble teaching him is to lay down. Btw I taught him (& Nick) to spin by slowly moving the treat in a slow circle until he starts to follow it in with his nose.... then his whole body in a slow circle. Once they figured out what I wanted they started doing the tricks quickly to get their treats. Get their favorite treats and keep the sessions short to just a couple minutes (they get bored.)