Hiding Cat

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our fur baby had an ultrasound yesterday an now we need to give her meds but she keeps hiding under the bed. I think she wants no part of me since i was the one that took her. I cried when they took her in and nobody could go in the building because of the corona virus thing so people were all waiting in their cars. Does anybody have a suggestion for how to get her to come out? The only thing I can think of is to kinda take a broom and sweet

mfena0720

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't sweep with a broom, personally. The last thing wanted is something scary or threatening.

Do you have any treats that you share with her on a regular basis? Any toys that make crazy noises? I find "luring" my cat out is a way better option than chasing him out with something. Any really yummy food that she can't resist the smell of? Make sure it wafts into the room.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was the US due to IBD?
If so, she's not feeling well either and under the bed is an ideal hidey spot.
Been there done that. My Simone hated getting her thyroid meds and would hide, so once I finally coaxed her out for tuna, I had to block off under the bed extremely well. Not an easy task. Used rolled up comforters, rugs, pillows, etc.
I wouldn't sweep her out unless it gets too long and nothing else worked. That will add big stress and avoidance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She finally came out and I got her dose of meds in her with a pill pocket treat. Vet wants us to do sub q fluids today. Have to wait til hubby gets home, it's a team effort twice every week. I'm afraid she'll head back under the bed. I thought of blocking off under the bed and may have to do that. Glad to know someone else has tried that. I really didn't like the broom idea but couldn't think of anything else. I really appreciate your advice. Gotta get two pills in her a day for a week and we have a vet appt monday for a short term of steroids. I can see her going right back under the bed after that.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Gotta get two pills in her a day for a week and we have a vet appt monday for a short term of steroids. I can see her going right back under the bed after that.
There's two schools of thought regarding blocking off the bed. Our cat recently underwent an illness and was also hiding under the bed. It's his safe place, as I'm sure it is your cat's too. He has done this anytime he is stressed or anxious. My husband told me to block off the bed but I told him he would just find another spot to hide where we couldn't get to him. Cats are so clever. ;) The other option would be to keep her in a small room before you have to give her meds, perhaps a bathroom, where she can't hide and you can easily give her the pills. If you're stressed she will pick up on it too. Best of luck1:alright:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is true, however I can't think of a more difficult spot than under the bed, especially one like mine, cornered so that takes care of one side and head, and the frame is big chunky wood type, so it doesn't budge.....lol
Literally the worst spot for me.
Twice a day, it won't take long before she figures out the bathroom means it's time....
Unless of course you can slip pill to her in a pocket or food, then she won't be hiding anyway. I've had to get pretty creative....:headscratch:
Good luck! :cheerleader:

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's two schools of thought regarding blocking off the bed. Our cat recently underwent an illness and was also hiding under the bed. It's his safe place, as I'm sure it is your cat's too. He has done this anytime he is stressed or anxious. My husband told me to block off the bed but I told him he would just find another spot to hide where we couldn't get to him. Cats are so clever. ;) The other option would be to keep her in a small room before you have to give her meds, perhaps a bathroom, where she can't hide and you can easily give her the pills. If you're stressed she will pick up on it too. Best of luck1:alright:
Thank you for sharing your experience. You're right, they are very clever. We have to do sub q fluids twice a week which she's not particularly happy about and it's like she can read our minds when we're about to do it and sneaks off if i don't catcher her in time. I like the small room idea. That's how I learned from the catsite was the way to brush her so I didn't have to chase her around the room. Didnt think of it for this. Thanks1

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is true, however I can't think of a more difficult spot than under the bed, especially one like mine, cornered so that takes care of one side and head, and the frame is big chunky wood type, so it doesn't budge.....lol
Literally the worst spot for me.
Twice a day, it won't take long before she figures out the bathroom means it's time....
Unless of course you can slip pill to her in a pocket or food, then she won't be hiding anyway. I've had to get pretty creative....:headscratch:
Good luck! :cheerleader:
That's kinda the same as our bedroom. The two sides are pretty close to the walls and the headboard butts up against the wall....that's her favorite place. I think the pill pockets will work as long as she comes out to eat....then she goes right back under the bed but gets her meds. Thank you for sharing your expeirences. These kinds of things just frazzle me to the bone and it's good to hear from others who have gone through the same thing.