Hiccups?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone has kitties who have hiccups here?
Bugsy has them from time to time...... He doesn't get nauseous, doesn't throw up, doesn't show any discomfort..... Just hiccups.....
Any idea why would that be?

He is going to the vet to check his teeth monday so I am going to ask, but I am curious if anyone here has experienced the same?

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Penelope gets hiccups sometimes, most of the time it is after she eats fast. I have never really thought anything about it though.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gary gets hiccups when he eats without chewing enough. None of the kitties have had hiccups. But does he eat quickly and not chew much? That might be the culprit!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hum..... Don't think that's the case.... He is a good eater, but a slow one. And it happens anytime, mostly hours after the meals.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, since Bugsy is a slow eater, eating too fast, leading to hiccups, certainly doesn't seem to be the problem. Other possibilities and some very basic info about kitty hiccups:

http://lovemeow.com/2009/09/important-facts-about-cat-hiccups/

http://www.ehow.com/how_7827529_cure-hiccups-cat.html

http://ask.metafilter.com/90594/My-cat-has-suddenly-started-hiccuping

http://www.petside.com/article/cat-and-kitten-hiccups

(My Abby had the hiccups a few times some years ago. Never figured out why.)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting..... I will definitely ask his vet tomorrow..... He doesn't show any distress about it at all..... Just lies there, having the hiccups, as though nothing was going on.
Everything else is normal - he is doing amazing.
I rather not put him through any invasive test at this point for this........

Will post what Dr. E says about it tomorrow -
Thanks guys!

multicatowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have never heard a hic-up from cat.Sneezing,coughing, yea ok. Hailey will lay by water dish and try to drink over rim,chock self on rim.Waiting for her to learn to drink sitting up,after 8 yrs,thats her! She'll do it once and while.Love those quirks of pets.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, asked Dr. E about it today - he said as long as he is not showing any signs of distress, it happens in animals and it is nothing to be concerned about. :wavey:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So like in people... just the diaphragm becoming out of sync with the rhythm of the lungs..... Gary gets this so often, we actually have figured out how to fix it. He drinks an entire small bottle of water (1 pint) in one go - swig, swig, swig, swig, swig... and by the time he's done, everything reset. :lol3: Don't think there's anyway to get Bugsy to do that. ;)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So like in people... just the diaphragm becoming out of sync with the rhythm of the lungs..... Gary gets this so often, we actually have figured out how to fix it. He drinks an entire small bottle of water (1 pint) in one go - swig, swig, swig, swig, swig... and by the time he's done, everything reset. :lol3: Don't think there's anyway to get Bugsy to do that. ;)
Right - that's exaclty what he said - just the diaphragm becoming out of sync with the rhythm of the lungs..... Not big deal.....

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sooo glad everything seems to be all right and the hiccups are nothing to worry about. Great, wonderful, very reassuring.   Very happy for you and Bugsy.