Hiccup Cures

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We all get hiccups from time to time. I don't know about you, but it makes me feel like a little kid. I know it bothers others when they have them, too.

What cure do you have for someone who's got the hiccups?

My go-to cure is really strange but it's never failed for either kids or adults. Just be sure the kid is old enough to understand and that you don't frighten him.

I pull our a penny (or nickel or dime due to inflation) and firmly tell the victim,"I'm going to buy your hiccups with this penny. I want five good strong hiccups for my money and I want them now!" I get a blank stare, so I sternly admonish, "Get on with it! I want my hiccups now!" I continue as necessary. They usually can't produce even one hiccup and never the required five. The hiccups are just gone. I don't know how or why it works, but it does.

What's your cure?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My second grade teacher taught us a trick to cure hiccups and I've been using it all these years, it never fails. While standing up you bend over with your head down and drink backwards out of a cup of water, out of the opposite side than you usually drink out of. It works ever time. Maybe it's the same as the swallowing air post above, I don't know.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha, I just so happened to get the hiccups this morning. So I tried the quickly sipping and swallowing several times while holding my breath thing. It worked! It was an even faster way than drinking out of the back of a glass. Thanks guys!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha, I just so happened to get the hiccups this morning. So I tried the quickly sipping and swallowing several times while holding my breath thing. It worked! It was an even faster way than drinking out of the back of a glass. Thanks guys!
It lacks the absurdity of bending over to drink water backwards from a cup, though. I kinda like the whole, "what are you doing?" thing. :biggrin:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, this way people won't be like "What the heck are you doing?" Plus sometimes I would spill the water all over trying to drink it upside down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Obviously, buying the hiccups won't work on yourself, but you really should try it on someone else. I don't know who thought of scaring, but it never worked for me. Neither did holding my breath or breathing into a paper bag. Sipping water sometimes works but it's not foolproof for me.

Our senior cat gets hiccups. Our vet said he'd never heard of it so we sent him a video. Yep. It's hiccups. I feel sorry for her. I usually rub her throat. It seems to help but I'd love some other ideas, too.

What else do you do to help others get rid of hiccups?

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
The buying it off someone else thing apparently works for warts, or so I've been lead to believe since being little. I've never had a wart (:crossfingers:) so don't know the success rate of this method.

Not about hiccoughs, I know. But interesting nonetheless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard that one, but at our doctor's suggestion, my husband put duct tape on a plantar's wart on the bottom of his foot. It took a couple of months but it vanished completely. I've also heard of using a bit of banana peel for the same thing but that seems kind of squishy and nasty. The duct tape was just one layer so he didn't feel a big lump.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard that one, but at our doctor's suggestion, my husband put duct tape on a plantar's wart on the bottom of his foot. It took a couple of months but it vanished completely. I've also heard of using a bit of banana peel for the same thing but that seems kind of squishy and nasty. The duct tape was just one layer so he didn't feel a big lump.
I had a mustang that had real nasty warts on her nose. The vet told me to cut it just enough to make it bleed. Apparently the body didn't know to attack it until it bled. I cut a couple and they all cleared up within two weeks.