Hibiscus Poisonous

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey everyone! I’m getting mega conflicting advice about the hibiscus plants toxicity. On the ASPCAs website it’s regarded as non toxic but everywhere else on the internet it says it’s very toxic.

Anyone know the true answer lol?
Just bought a beautiful one thinking it was nontoxic and now it’s outside.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
hey everyone! I’m getting mega conflicting advice about the hibiscus plants toxicity. On the ASPCAs website it’s regarded as non toxic but everywhere else on the internet it says it’s very toxic.
Yes, I agree with you that there's a conflicting answer for your question. I did a search and one website says ASPCA says that Hibiscus is Toxic to cats but in their lists it says no :headscratch: :dunno:

One other website says symptoms like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and loss of appetite after ingesting are mild and not long lasting unless consumed in a large quantity.

Just to play safe, keep your cats away from the hibiscus plant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep it’s definitely unclear that’s why he beautiful plant is outside lol. Just think there’d be some clarity.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
The safe bet is to assume that a plant is toxic. We have palms (most true palms are fine), Christmas Cactus, and a Swedish ivy, all fairly common and cat friendly plants, but when I got Freya I got rid of a bunch of other plants: snake plant, peace lilly, normal ivy, and several others, because they were mildly (or more than mildly in the case of the ivy) toxic to cats