Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I agree that it's frustrating, for everyone involved. You have internet access. Have you tried to use the internet to find help from someone in your local community--a local animal shelter or veterinary clinic, or cat support group? Someone from your own community may be in a better position to assist you in letting you know what resources are available to you. And I am sure there are resources available to you, but you'd need to be willing to use them and accept the practical help that is offered to you. Your way of handling the situation has not been working, so maybe it's time to consider the suggestions of people who have been in your position?

I have been taking care of a male, intact feral cat for 3 years. I trapped him once, 3 years ago, but stupidly took him into my house instead of taking him in the trap directly to the vet to get neutered because I thought he'd adjust to being in my house and I had lots of time to get him to the vet. Long story short, he went crazy inside, scaling walls, ceilings, windows, yowling non-stop. I had a mobile vet come over to vaccinate him for rabies and to try to catch him to get him to the clinic to get  neutered--but he was too wild to catch. He did get vaccinated when his foot became lodged in a hanging plant bracket above my windows and the very scared vet climbed a ladder to vaccinate his butt. I let him back outside after 3 days. I've been unable to trap him again, though I've tried different traps and ways to get him--he is trap savvy, gets out of my arms if I try to grab him,  and will not come inside. End result--two incidents of life-threatening injuries from fighting other males to mate with  females in heat --I saved him by giving him antibiotics in his food. One of his ears is permanently bent backwards, which I know causes him discomfort. End result--he will not come inside because until he is neutered, he will want to roam. End result--he brought three girlfriends and 3 of his kittens to me and my neighbors last summer because he knew we would feed them. We trapped, neutered/spayed, socialized, and adopted  5 of them (two of them live inside with me) and the one female left permanently. This was the only way to deal with the situation of an emerging army of cats on our block. End result--it will be winter again, and my intact male feral is still living on my block and porch. I will still stress about him endlessly and kick myself for not neutering him when I trapped him 3 years ago, and will continue to try to coax him to come inside, feed him, love him, and treat his injuries and illnesses.  

So learn from my mistake.  If you can do so, get your female feral to a vet to be spayed! There is no other answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

explodom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How many times do I have to tell you? The cats are not going to be here for the female! They are going to be here to feast!

I keep asking the same questions because I get answers that are not applicable. When I asked how to get two cats ASIDE from the male to stop fighting, I was told that to stop males fighting I would have to get them neutered, even though there were no males in question.

Also, I am listening to the suggestions of others but there is no way I can get help to implement those suggestions..

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does seem to me that everyone is talking at cross purposes, partly because of not understanding all the circumstances. To answer your specific question about the festival (which I have attended in several Muslim countries), once cats scent fresh meat and blood it will be impossible to keep them away entirely. I would suggest that the only thing to do would be to distract them - offer them some smelly food in an area away from human activities and hope they go there. At least if any cats then decide that they want to partake of the sacrifice, you can chase them towards their own area and try to keep them there. But of course, depending on how many there are, you may end up with even more cats than you would have had before. Just my thoughts, but it will be difficult unless you can hold the proceedings inside a well-fenced enclosure or garden - we did that in Sarajevo to keep feral dogs away from the sacrifice and BBQ.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

explodom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. 

I am going to go over my situation again. I have two cats, a female and a kitten, both are not neutered. I lack the help to get them neutered or checked by a vet. They both fight with each other. How do I stop it? Also, the female has given birth (don't know where).

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Cats need to be introduced carefully or they will fight. We have articles on how to introduce cats.. this is one  but it is not really applicable in your situation.  However it does give you some idea of how sensitive cats are to other cats.

You have been given some excellent advice here, even if you don't feel it has addressed your problems as well as you would have liked.

Abbysmom has let you know that we are very much a pro spay and neuter site.  I understand that your situation doesn't allow for this, but please know that spaying and neutering cats is enormously helpful to stop many of the issues you are experiencing. The situation you find yourself in may eventually force you to initiate spaying and neutering efforts in your area in the future.

We have gone as far as we can with this thread and it will now be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.