Hi; would a stud service work with female non-purebred cat? + other breeding questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Didn't you have a spay appointment for this cat back in August? I seem to remember having this conversation with you before.
yes Lutece. she's a very smart cat and through 3 or 4 diff. apptms -- ea. much delayed, like, by a few months - due to covid -- she kept evading us/hiding . we cldn't get her into carrier. We finally did. now she is looking at me accusingly and I feel terrible. however, we do have one of her kittens - may be part Siberian - with some of same coloring.
I'm still trying to figure out whether the fact that when we adopted her she had two nipples that were more prominent - one on either side, one at top, one at other end - might mean she had had a prior litter. I can't find any real info on this. Her stomach was flat, but it's also flat once again - 10 mos. after litter. Thank you.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes Lutece. she's a very smart cat and through 3 or 4 diff. apptms -- ea. much delayed, like, by a few months - due to covid -- she kept evading us/hiding . we cldn't get her into carrier. We finally did. now she is looking at me accusingly and I feel terrible. however, we do have one of her kittens - may be part Siberian - with some of same coloring.
Now I'm confused, since at the start of this thread you were asking about the mother having a second litter. But here you are suggesting that you finally had the mother cat spayed, and now you want to breed the daughter? Or is that not what you mean?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
But it does seem as if my cat would be skittish going to a stud's "house" to mate. Wouldn't she be freaked out? And how long would she have to stay - 1 day? 3 days? I just have no idea.

And I don't know how many tests I'd have to get: rabies/distemper combo, fel AIDS /Leukemia - but why would genetic testing be req'd? How would the genetics of my cat affect the genetics of the existing male stud? It's this practical stuff I'm trying to figure out.
Im ex owner of 3 studs giving stud service in their breed. (them all being our loved family cats)

Exactly where may vary. The most common is at the studs home. But I know examples the stud comes to the female.
Although HERE I dont imagine a purebred stud would be lend over to a non breeder. If nothing else, there is the risk of misusing the stud. (tex taking a couple of extra matings with another females)
A compromise me wife tried now with our latest stud, was to take in a hotel which allows visiting cats, and the mating was done there, no problems, if the stud is reasonably experienced. (preparing the house, and all the necessary cleaning afterwards does too takes its toll).

Its my experience the ladies had surprisingly easy to manage the situation. Of course, our studs were friendly guys, good at courting, and gentle when mounting. Not all studs are. So this helped. :)
But its important we hosts are friendly with this visiting female. she lower her guard much easier, if she feels safe, and comfortable with the humans there...

How long? If both knows what to do, it may take less than two hours. But if one of them is shy, it may take several days. If they are friendly to each other, this is no real problem, but it is difficult to plan anything, especielly if you must hire a hotel room... Because its NOT common you will sleep over in the stud owners home.

Last, there is a battery of health test which should be done, including for trichomonas- parasite (this is not commonly done, but wise to be sure the parasite isnt there - its a horse cure to get rid of the parasite once its there). I agree with you a genetic test probably isnt stricktly necessary for you here. For a breeder - could be. For example, in some breeds they dont want the point gene. But for you this doesnt matter much, as long as all are healthy.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
This thread is now closed. Please note that the Ethical Breeding forum in particular and TCS in general is not the place to discuss intentional breeding of non-pedigreed cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.