Hi there!

dan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I'm a new member here so I just thought I'd say a quick hello and introduce myself. I'm a new 'mum', having just recently (2 weeks ago) adopted my beautiful little kitten, Phoebe. She's a 12 week old (14 weeks now actually) grey and white DSH. I've never had a cat before (always had dogs) so I'm on a big learning curve at the moment!
This site has provided me with loads of information and certainly has eased some of my worries! Thank you!!!!!

It's great to see so many people who are in love with their kitties and spoil them rotten (makes me feel so normal!!).

Anyway, I'll post more at a later date!
Cheers from Melbourne!

Dan.

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
we're so glad you found us!

you'll have to post some pics of Phoebe so we can all 'ooh' and 'ahh' over her!

debra myers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a great site to coo over everyone's babies -
Welcome to the mad cat house!

Now, how did this fish get in here with all these cats????

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A big welcome to both of you. I am sure you will just love it here. So much to learn and so many people to meet!!

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome!

Glad to have another friend from another part of the world.

Cheers from Wethersfield, Connecticut

Donna

elinor

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome. I just got my kittens not very long ago and find this site to be very helpfull and the people very friendly and nice,

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site! It's good to meet you and Phoebe! Here's your welcoming Blob-O-Rama:

My Strine is pretty weak these days, so I'll skip the cliches and simply say it's good to see an Australian on this board! Two of my best cyber-friends, Bron and Kylie, are from your country. (On a different web site, to be sure.)

Tell us more about you and Phoebe when you've a chance!

=^..^=

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dan! WELCOME!!!! It is so cool that you are from the "outback" or "down under" as they say....why DO they say that???

I also have a cat named Phoebe....I can't wait to see pictures of your Phoebe!!!! I am so GLAD you have joined us!!!!

blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:blubturq:

Welcome Dan & Phoebe !!! It's a pleasure to have you here !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for making me so welcome!!!
As soon as I get the pics developed I'll post them here and you can all see my baby! Hey Debby, I guess great minds think alike! It's kind of weird how Phoebe came to be Phoebe. I had a few names picked out for her before I adopted her, but Phoebe wasn't actually one of them. When I brought her home I went to call her and 'Phoebe' was what came out! Then a bit later on, the same thing. So I thought, well she's just meant to be a Phoebe! I guess it kind of helps that I really like the name (it also used to be one of my nicknames).

As for the 'outback' and 'downunder' i'll try to answer as best i can! 'Downunder' is because of where we are on the world - down under the other side of the earth... And the outback is because 1/2 of the place is out back - as in um...ok, I'm not doing so well explaining this... I guess 'cause the perception of most people is that we all live out in the bush with kangaroos etc. I live in the 2nd biggest city in Oz, but I did spend some of my growing up on my sister's property (cattle station next to Kakadu National Park, in the Northern Territory), that's the type of countryside that most people think of when they think of Australia.

AAH! Did i just do a really bad job of explaining all that?!!

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome, Dan! I always think of the Crocodile Hunter when I think of Australia. I saw one episode where they were discussing the terrible feral cat situation there. It was so sad. Are cats popular pets in Australia?

Anyway, glad to have you here. This is a great site!

Dawn

dan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Dawn, cats are definitely popular here! Every 2nd person I know has at least one (if not several) cats. There is an increasing problem, however, of some cruel, stupid, idiotic (don't get me started!) people dumping their cats once the 'novelty' has worn off, and these cats are either left to starve to death, or become feral. There are also now laws here that prohibit cats from being outside at nighttime, to protect our native fauna. My baby is an inside cat anyway, as I live right on the edge of a state park, and also on a fairly busy road. Not to metion the other cats and dogs in the neigbourhood!
Anyway I'm rambling. Thanks for the welcome!

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dan...you did a WONDERFUL job of expaining that to me!!!!

I am so glad you have found us here!!!! WELCOME!!!!!

I too have watched the croc' hunter....steve....:laughing:
He is very smart obviously, and makes lots of money doing what he does....but on TV in the US he looks so silly lifting up those snakes and saying...
" This is one of the most venomous snakes in the world....let's just hope he doesn't bite me.....by cracky!!!" :laughing:

dan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know what you mwan about the croc hunter - he doesn't get shown much here because we tend to roll about laughing when we see that. :laughing:
Hey here's a bit of interesting info for you: but before I tell you, I'll ask: did you ever hear about that guy who was the "crocodile dundee" guy in the Northern Terrritory (no, not Paul Hogan) the actual in-the-flesh person, who ended up getting shot by police last year? (a shooting is big news here, btw) It won't make any sense if you don't know what on earth I'm talking about, so I'll wait and see first.....

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dan.... no I didn't hear about that!!!! Why did he get shot?? Do tell me the stroy, it sounds interesting!!!!!

dan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, but it's not going to mean much if you don't know who I'm talking about! But, now that I have piqued your curiosity, I guess I'
ll have to tell... now where do I start?...

OK, originally he (his name was Rod) was on The Parkinson show (in the UK I think) beacuse he was lost in the bush in the Northern Territory (the real outback) and survived alone for a couple of months. So he was this amazing story etc etc (he was an excellent bushman) and Paul Hogan or someone close saw him on TV and that's where the idea for the Croc Dundee movie came from. OK, so the movie gets made and Rod gets paid and a book deal and a movie of his own. That was all great but the whole (small though it was) fame/fortune thing went to his head. He started taking drugs and basically his whole sense of reality went out the window and in the end he had this strange idea that some cult was going to steal his boys so he went of with a gun and ended up getting shot by police.

OK, so that's the short story, but as I said, it's not going to make much sense if you don't know who I'm talking about!

The whole version is too sad anyway, and I don't want to spoil anyone's day!

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome, Dan!

Yeah, I heard about the whole "Crocodile Dundee" ordeal awhile ago. I never even knew the movies were based on a real person.

dan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was just all so sad. He used to be this really great bloke who knew almost all there is to know about bush skills. He was even made an 'honorary' white man by the local Aborigines and joined in their ceremonies because of his understanding of the land. It's just such a pity that he let it all go to his head. His boys were devastated (they worshipped their father as a hero), they were in their late teens when he died.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for telling me the story...I had never heard it before. I also just went back and reread one of my posts and discovered I had left the r out of croc hunter...so I quickly corrected it!