Hi ,there I'm new here!

feline faelan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!:)

At the moment I don't have cats, but I've had them in the past , and I'm planning to get a kitten.

I still don't know which breed I want, there are so many nice breeds!

So I'm still looking at different breeders, our former cats were all cats from animal shelters , so this would be our fist kitten!

Also we have a dog, how can we get him used to cats?

PS English is not my native language , so sorry for grammar mistakes and bad sentences!

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! 

I'm sure you'll find it a great place to learn about cats and their care whether or not you already have a bundle of fur with you! 

Below you can find a couple of articles that might help you with bringing kitty home and introducing him to doggie 

[article="30035"]Where To Find A Kitten​[/article]  

[article="29649"]Care Of Cats The Responsible Way​[/article]  

[article="32695"]New Cat Checklist What You Need To Get Before Bringing Kitty Home​[/article]  

[article="29682"]Introducing Cats To Dogs​[/article]  

[article="31649"]Best And Worst Dog Breeds To Live With Cats​[/article]  

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to post them and I'm sure someone will reply as soon as they can 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, welcome to The Cat Site.

You can get pure bred cats from shelters. They often have kittens too, mixed and pure bred looking although usually not with papers. Check those out first if you're looking for a kitten. It's nice to be able to give a home to some cat who really needs one.

Keep us posted, I'd like to see some pictures of your cat when you choose one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feline faelan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hi, welcome to The Cat Site.

You can get pure bred cats from shelters. They often have kittens too, mixed and pure bred looking although usually not with papers. Check those out first if you're looking for a kitten. It's nice to be able to give a home to some cat who really needs one.

Keep us posted, I'd like to see some pictures of your cat when you choose one.
Thanks!

Yeah, we found some animal shelters nearby , but at the moment they don't have kittens...

But I'll keep my eyes open

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS.

If you don't mind me asking where are you located (in general)? I know where I am in WA state it isn't currently kitten season. It is too cold outdoors so for most shelters kittens are few and far between right now. They are out there though since indoor cats don't necessarily follow the seasons the way outdoor ones do.

Has your dog ever been around cats before or was he new after the cats that you have had in the past? This will effect getting the dog used to cats.

feline faelan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Welcome to TCS.

If you don't mind me asking where are you located (in general)? I know where I am in WA state it isn't currently kitten season. It is too cold outdoors so for most shelters kittens are few and far between right now. They are out there though since indoor cats don't necessarily follow the seasons the way outdoor ones do.

Has your dog ever been around cats before or was he new after the cats that you have had in the past? This will effect getting the dog used to cats.
Thank you

Well I'm basicly at the other side of the world then (Netherlands, Europe) 

The dog was new after the other cats, as a puppy he got along well with cats, but he was beaten once by a cat and now he tends to go after them...So  we should get him used to cats outside the house first.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It definitely would be a good idea to get him used to cats ahead of time if he goes after them. This could be very scary for a kitten or dangerous for the dog since a cat that is cornered might attack  as well. 

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello also from the Netherlands!

I got my younger cat at the beginning of september, and even then the shelters were essentially devoid of kittens. (I specifically wanted to get a kitten and not an adult cat because of the temperament of my older cat whom I'd adopted some months earlier.) I think the closest shelter to me that had kittens was 100km away or so. I ended up getting one from an accidental housecat (indoor/outdoor) litter from marktplaats, and he is the most wonderful kitten in the whole world (obviously). A lot of people on marktplaats seem to be very ridiculous with their kittens and are asking large sums for accidental/backyard kittens not including getting them fixed, chipped, vaccinated, etc. for the same price shelters charge including all of that. Considering I got my guy without all the medical necessities and have payed about double shelter adoption rates to have the necessities done, it's pretty ridiculous.

If you decide to wait until spring, I'm sure the shelters will be flushed again with sweet moggies. If you go for a purebred, keep us posted on what you choose!

feline faelan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

It definitely would be a good idea to get him used to cats ahead of time if he goes after them. This could be very scary for a kitten or dangerous for the dog 

Hello also from the Netherlands!

I got my younger cat at the beginning of september, and even then the shelters were essentially devoid of kittens. (I specifically wanted to get a kitten and not an adult cat because of the temperament of my older cat whom I'd adopted some months earlier.) I think the closest shelter to me that had kittens was 100km away or so. I ended up getting one from an accidental housecat (indoor/outdoor) litter from marktplaats, and he is the most wonderful kitten in the whole world (obviously). A lot of people on marktplaats seem to be very ridiculous with their kittens and are asking large sums for accidental/backyard kittens not including getting them fixed, chipped, vaccinated, etc. for the same price shelters charge including all of that. Considering I got my guy without all the medical necessities and have payed about double shelter adoption rates to have the necessities done, it's pretty ridiculous.

If you decide to wait until spring, I'm sure the shelters will be flushed again with sweet moggies. If you go for a purebred, keep us posted on what you choose!
I'm still not sure if it will be a cat from a animal shelter or a purebred,  but it could take a few monts before we reserve one.The dog needs to get used to them first.

There are some breeds in which I'm interested , so I'm looking information and  good breeders.

Probably I'll soon make a treat for more information/opinions about those breeds, and if they get along well with dogs. 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Virtually any breed kitten will get along well with a dog when properly introduced at a young age, so set your mind at rest on that issue.  Are there rescue groups in the Netherlands?  They tend to specialize in particular breeds, so you might try that.  A local veterinarian should be able to direct you to some. 

Do work with the dog ahead of time.  An old American says is, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."  I'm not entirely sure how that would work out in the metric system, but the sentiment is certainly the same!

One of my dearest friends is originally from the Netherlands, although he currently lives in London, England.  He, like you, speaks excellent English, with just enough of a twist to be interesting.  He learned his English watching the original Star Wars movies, so he had some oddities to his command of the language!

Welcome to TCS!  We'll look forward to hearing about your new kitten when you locate it, and to seeing photographs. 

feline faelan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Virtually any breed kitten will get along well with a dog when properly introduced at a young age, so set your mind at rest on that issue.  Are there rescue groups in the Netherlands?  They tend to specialize in particular breeds, so you might try that.  A local veterinarian should be able to direct you to some. 

Do work with the dog ahead of time.  An old American says is, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."  I'm not entirely sure how that would work out in the metric system, but the sentiment is certainly the same!

One of my dearest friends is originally from the Netherlands, although he currently lives in London, England.  He, like you, speaks excellent English, with just enough of a twist to be interesting.  He learned his English watching the original Star Wars movies, so he had some oddities to his command of the language!

Welcome to TCS!  We'll look forward to hearing about your new kitten when you locate it, and to seeing photographs. 
I'm not sure if there are rescue groops here, (never heard of one) but I'll look .

Yeah I'll work with the dog (on?) beforehand.  Here in Netherlands we also say that preventing is better than curing.So I hope I can find dogfriendly cats!

I learned Englisch mostly with reading books, but now that I started with Wuthering Heigts I lost the hang of it...

Thank you! I hope that I can give more information about the kitten soon. 

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you're not already aware, you can also filter searches on ikzoekbaas.nl for cats that get along with dogs. Since some shelters are cat-only sometimes a lot of the kittens are marked as "unknown". As to breed-specific rescues, I've seen on the websites of a few local breeders that they also facilitate rescue rehomings of the breed they specialize in. 

feline faelan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If you're not already aware, you can also filter searches on ikzoekbaas.nl for cats that get along with dogs. Since some shelters are cat-only sometimes a lot of the kittens are marked as "unknown". As to breed-specific rescues, I've seen on the websites of a few local breeders that they also facilitate rescue rehomings of the breed they specialize in. 
Thanks for the sugestions, I'll look.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I learned Englisch mostly with reading books, but now that I started with Wuthering Heigts I lost the hang of it...

Dear God...I suppose that you have lost the hang of it.  As I recall, many years after reading it, Wuthering Heights would be enough to send anyone's English skittering sideways, even a native born speaker of the language.  But don't fret, you're doing very well indeed, and better than many who were born to it manage.

Good luck with finding that kitten.  I'll be looking forward to reading about your progress, and to meeting the little one when you find it!

feline faelan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What does that orange board next to the name actually mean? I see that mine just changed from "newbie" to "kitten",  is it about the qauntity of posts you make or about how long somewone is a member of TCS?

feline faelan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have some questions of the breeds I like, where can best I open that threat?