Hi there...can anyone give me advice on how to get wax out of a long haired cats fur

Erickins39

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If one more person tells me to just bath her, I’ll scream. If it were only that easy with a very temperamental finicky cat. I used coconut oil to soften it but she won’t even let me brush her now. She’s trying to clean herself and I feel so bad. I got all the big chunks of fur off of her with scissors but there is still a lot on her back leg. Some sites say she will eventually get it out herself along with the coconut oil helping to soften it. First thing in the morning I will call the vet to get her in so they can give her a shave. But until then, is there anything else I can do to help her out?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know olive oil works wonders with matted fur. Not sure if it works the same way or at all with wax. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try it. If you have a syringe, you want to squirt the oil down to the roots and then just give it time to fall out. That is if it works at all like it does with matted fur. Otherwise, the vet or groomers are your best bet to get it out with the least amount of bloodshed.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I've also used vegetable oil to get paint off of fur, but since you've already tried the coconut oil...I would imagine that it's similar.
Some of the other threads here on TCS mention using ice cubes to freeze the wax on the fur...but I'd have no idea how you'd manage to get that near a cat....unless you use a towel and burrito wrap her, when she's calm.

Is she the beautiful looking cat in your avatar?

Can you make sure that the wax does not contain any essential oils, or scents, that would harm her.
If it does, then you will really have to use some sort of warm wash cloth to get it off of her fur...or put on a temporary cone made from a paper plate or cardboard....check online for 'diy cone for cats'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erickins39

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've also used vegetable oil to get paint off of fur, but since you've already tried the coconut oil...I would imagine that it's similar.
Some of the other threads here on TCS mention using ice cubes to freeze the wax on the fur...but I'd have no idea how you'd manage to get that near a cat....unless you use a towel and burrito wrap her, when she's calm.

Is she the beautiful looking cat in your avatar?

Can you make sure that the wax does not contain any essential oils, or scents, that would harm her.
If it does, then you will really have to use some sort of warm wash cloth to get it off of her fur...or put on a temporary cone made from a paper plate or cardboard....check online for 'diy cone for cats'.
Hi there...yes that is Penny Sue that was her as a kitten. She’s 2 now. I do not use essential oil anything because I know they are very dangerous to cats and I have 3. It was a wax warmer and how she did what she did is still the lingering question due to the fact it’s really not even in sight. The coconut oil helped wonderfully it softened it to where she was able to get most of it out herself with the help of some warm soapy dawn dish soap. She has a funny hair cut on the one side of her though because I cut a large amount of the wax out myself that I could. Now she’s just trying to clean the rest of the coconut oil off of her. Lol. What a long night yesterday was!! Thank you so much for your help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erickins39

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know olive oil works wonders with matted fur. Not sure if it works the same way or at all with wax. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try it. If you have a syringe, you want to squirt the oil down to the roots and then just give it time to fall out. That is if it works at all like it does with matted fur. Otherwise, the vet or groomers are your best bet to get it out with the least amount of bloodshed.
Thank you for your help. Fortunately, the coconut oils softened it enough for her to get most of it out herself with the help of dawn dish soap. What a mess last night was. Lol. Gotta love our kitties!!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there...yes that is Penny Sue that was her as a kitten. She’s 2 now. I do not use essential oil anything because I know they are very dangerous to cats and I have 3. It was a wax warmer and how she did what she did is still the lingering question due to the fact it’s really not even in sight. The coconut oil helped wonderfully it softened it to where she was able to get most of it out herself with the help of some warm soapy dawn dish soap. She has a funny hair cut on the one side of her though because I cut a large amount of the wax out myself that I could. Now she’s just trying to clean the rest of the coconut oil off of her. Lol. What a long night yesterday was!! Thank you so much for your help.
Great update. Thanks. I can imagine that last night would have been very long. :petcat:
Forgot about the 'dawn dish soap'...so the combination you used...sounds like a 'must-have supplies for cat care,'...as in, us cat-guardians 'must have these supplies on hand'...just in case of stuff happening with our cats.

I think our cats happen to get into these things every once in a while,...just to make sure that we are paying attention. :catrub:
Or maybe to make sure their humans can think quickly, and deal with unexpected situations.
It's good training for us, when you think about it. But so glad when the outcome is good.

Now, you'll just have to deal with your other cats not making too much fun of Penny Sue, and her 'unique' hair cut.
The good thing is that it will grow back.
All the best to your fur crew, and Penny Sue. Post some photos when you have the time.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest peanut butter. I’ve used it to get pitch out between my cats toes. It works 👍🏼

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If one more person tells me to just bath her, I’ll scream. If it were only that easy with a very temperamental finicky cat. I used coconut oil to soften it but she won’t even let me brush her now. She’s trying to clean herself and I feel so bad. I got all the big chunks of fur off of her with scissors but there is still a lot on her back leg. Some sites say she will eventually get it out herself along with the coconut oil helping to soften it. First thing in the morning I will call the vet to get her in so they can give her a shave. But until then, is there anything else I can do to help her out?
wax. hmm. hair dryer. and a paper towel. oh is this her ear wax? Or candle wax? Cuz, dried candle wax you could brush out. If it is stained the fur, yes (go a head and scream) give the cat a bath in the warmest water the cat can stand.