Hi New Member here

Sella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 4 week old kitten. I can't get a vet appointment for a week. He's doing well but I found a flea. Any suggestions to get rid of it? Also tips on weaning from bottle.
Thanks!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Buy a flea comb and gently comb through the kitten’s fur. Drop any fleas found into a bowl of soapy water. Dish soap like Blue Dawn is good. The fleas will drown.

Your kitten will wean more easily in another week or two - anywhere from 5-7 weeks, with 6 weeks being more likely. Four weeks is a bit too young.

Here is a helpful weaning video:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks!
He's grabbing the bottle and scratching and biting the nipple, can't get the food in fast enough. I've added kitten wet food to the formula . He's eating more and less often. And uses his litter box. He had loose stool yesterday and hasn't gone yet for today. I did drop off a stool sample at the vet. Waiting for a call back.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He may be ready sooner! It’s always worth a try.

Soft stool may be from the change in his diet. Still good to get a fecal test. Let us know what the vet says.

Sella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi fecal test was negative. He went to see the vet and everything checked out except he had a huge amount of mucus diarrhea they did another fecal check for giardia and parasites again and negative. Vet had me go off the kmr and go on goat's milk. Vet thought he would do better on this. I was mixing Fancy Feast kitten pate in the milk. He's been doing well but still loose stool. I stopped the canned food yesterday thinking maybe he was too small to start solid food still loose mucusy and blood which he had on Thursday . Of course it's the weekend and I can't get a hold of the vet today is Sunday it's a little bit more solid didn't see any more blood but he's not eating as well he attacks my fingers and shreds them when he's trying to take the bottle he'll latch on drink a little bit then chew the nipple and then stop. The vet said he's just 4 weeks now he weighed 0.8 lb on Thursday his weight has been steadily increasing by 10 g a day today it appeared that it was a little bit less . I'll definitely call the vet tomorrow . He won't lap it up off of saucer he'll lick a little off my finger but he's very awkward he can't get enough in . Any suggestions from all you experts???

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just keep trying. Sounds like he’s teething. He’ll be more ready for soft foods in another week or so. Just keep trying. He may need metronidazole to clear up whatever is causing his stool problems.

Sella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you think I should try adding the kitten Pate back because he really seems like he's not getting enough to eat. No more bloody mucus stools it's a little more formed but it's real yellow

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I would since he was eating it before.

His stool is yellow? Is he still on the formula?

Sella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His stool is yellow, not as liquid with no mucus or blood. Could it have been the formula since I switched him to goat's milk and I also stopped putting the food in with the goat's milk he is eating a little bit more today. I also have pre and probiotics powder for cats I'm wondering if I could put a little of that in his milk but I don't know how much

Sella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also he's very playful and active and alert biting everything trying to climb sleeping well

Sella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No diarrhea or stool today. He's fighting and shredding my hand when I go to feed. He ate great earlier and the last feeding was a disaster. Didn't get any and fell asleep. He lapped a tiny bit of food off his spoon but not really able to eat . I know he's hungry but he just bites the nipple and scratches and it goes crazy. He sleeps really well at night I don't know if I wake him up in an hour or so and try to feed him again. I would appreciate any suggestions. thank you .

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He may not have been hungry at that last feeding since you said that at his earlier feeding he ate great. Keep trying!

He’s going on 5 weeks old and may be ready to kick the bottle and begin lapping his milk and eating his wet food on his own real soon - certainly by about 6 weeks. Hang in there!

Sella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. It's upsetting to see him flailing and biting and scratching. Feel bad when he gets so upset!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Definitely begin encouraging him to a saucer of milk and a plate of wet food. Feed him from your finger with wet food if need be. He’ll catch on. He should not be flailing and going nuts at feeding time.

Sella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll definitely do that tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Sella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He took his entire bottle with half kitten pate half goat's milk. No fighting. A little while later I tried my finger, spoon and saucer. He's just not interested. He took more milk and is asleep now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful that he took his bottle nicely! He can go longer between feedings with the pate mixed in. He’ll transition soon!

Sella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is eating lot, very active. Weight up to 1.1 pounds But no stool since yesterday morning, which was brown and firm. He was running around after a feeding and vomited a little. I'm concerned about him being constipated.