Hi - Need help for a five year old rescue who has decided to quit pooping in the litter box! šŸŒ¼ā¤ļøšŸŒ¼

Kdnew1975

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, everyone. I need some advice. Iā€™m very new here, so anything would be appreciated.

My five year old cat, Alex, has always been amazing. Not much on being held but always sleeps with me at night. He was rescued from the Charleston Animal Society at the age of two.

He has always used the litter box until about two months ago. Now he pees in the box, but refuses to poo in the box. Rather, pooping right outside the box on the floor, immediately outside of the box.

I really donā€™t know what to do. Have rubbed his nose in It, etc., and put him in the box to scratch.

Help! ā¤šŸ˜½ā¤

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Kdnew1975 Kdnew1975 and welcome to TCS!

Firstly, please don't rub his nose in it.. I remember when I was young that was a 'thing' for dogs but it's been well and truly disproved now. Animals, and certainly cats, don't respond to punishment.

I know he's always used the box before, but sometimes something will 'tweak' in a pussycat's brain and they'll begin to insist that they will not poo where they pee (and vice versa). I would definitely suggest trying another litterbox.
Also, are you keeping it really clean?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kdnew1975

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your response!

Yes, it is scooped twice a day and he poos right in front of it, even if there is absolutely nothing in the box.

There is a second litter box in the back room, but he doesnā€™t use it.

I am at a loss as of what I should do.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Kdnew1975 Kdnew1975 . Welcome to TCS. Sorry, though, for the litter box issue that brought you here.

Did anything unusual happen 2 months ago? Any changes in the home? Is Alex an only pet? How is his health? Eating normally? Is the poop normal? Not soft (diarrhea) or dry/hard (constipated)

Usually when a cat starts pooping outside of the litter box, there's a reason. We just have to figure out what it is.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put the second box next to the first one. For some reason some cats like it that way better.

Don't rub his face in poop. Gross. Also cruel, but gross.

But, yeah. Cats will pee in random places for no particular reason sometimes, but usually if there's poop outside the box, something is wrong. So if putting 2 boxes next to each other doesn't work, get him a full checkup. He might have something going on internally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kdnew1975

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Kdnew1975 Kdnew1975 . Welcome to TCS. Sorry, though, for the litter box issue that brought you here.

Did anything unusual happen 2 months ago? Any changes in the home? Is Alex an only pet? How is his health? Eating normally? Is the poop normal? Not soft (diarrhea) or dry/hard (constipated)

Usually when a cat starts pooping outside of the litter box, there's a reason. We just have to figure out what it is.
Thanks for your response!

Alex is not an only cat.We also have a kitten named Jingles, but she has been with us since February. If he started doing it when we got Jingles, I would understand. However, he waited almost 4 months to start pooing outside the box.

The poop is always normal and I have watched him afterwards imitate the spreading litter over his poo on the floor. However, there is no litter there so he is just scratching at air. Itā€™s just unusual and I donā€™t know how to fix it.

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. Is she spayed yet? If not, her hormones may be affecting him even if he's neutered.

Anyway, extra litterboxes never hurt, give that a try and let us know if it helps at all.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As W Willowy mentioned, it might have something with Jingles getting older. :dunno:

If you're not already, try cleaning the floor where he poops with an enzyme cleaner to ensure the smell is totally gone. And try putting the second litter box beside the first one.

Beautiful cats, btw. :redheartpump: